Black Fox - Reviews

TheRogueNob's avatar
Oct 4, 2019

this would’ve been better if they didn’t Batman the main charectar( the whole no Killing thing), the main reason why is because it is not a full length episodal series. Certain moments when she first fights the telekinetic girl I understood but it’s so short tyhatvit hurts the story. But other than that I want to see more cause the main story and the characters are great and the world they inhabit. And because it’s an original I’m not sure it will get that sequel, just hope crunchyroll supports this like they do dr stone

orpheusx9's avatar
Oct 11, 2019

Overall, it's okay. Bits and pieces of it sort of make it difficult to take seriously.

In general the anime is okay. There's an actual story, which is nice given the amount of crap there is nowadays. The characters' motivations and behavior mostly make sense given the context, and the animation quality / choreography of fights is pretty superb.

However, here are my issues with the movie, which in my opinion reduced its overall impact:

** SPOILERS FOLLOW **

• MC lacks real depth. You never really feel any of the suffering she might've felt from watching her dad and grand-dad die in front of her. The activities she gets to and the way she behaves afterwards pretty much make her seem a rather normal, if not somewhat mischievous and intelligent teenager. Conveniently though when she's fighting she gets REALLY MAD about said trauma, so her whole past feels like more of a convenience than an actual part of her character.

• The story can't decide which conflict is the most important. See, we're given the impression that the animal drones themselves and the research of grandpa Isurugi are mind-blowing, world-changing knowledge that a huge war has erupted over. You'd think they'd be the central crux. Instead, it's just a convenient excuse to introduce why these people are fighting each other.

The entire focus of the movie ends up on our enemy-turned-ally girl and her relationships with her dad and MC. There's nothing wrong with that in itself, but it became such a central focus that all of the intense fighting, cool choreography, cutting edge research & tech, etc., end up feeling really cheap. Was it really necessary to nearly fight to the death and destroy all these neighborhoods just to argue with your dad about being your own person?

• The animal drones are comically human. Further diminishing the seriousness of this conflict is just how little of a role the drone animals play.

I think it'd be a cool topic to explore - that is, this idea that robots would also have personalities, desires, morals, etc. - but rather than exploring that, the animal drones are just bratty teenagers with sassy personalities in metal animal form and have cool high-tech capabilities. Oh, and they're like handy gadgets mid-battle. There's no conflict surrounding them. They're never the focus of any character development. You never feel any kind of attachment or concern for them.

Again, doesn't add much to the story; they're just there as utilities. There's so much potential here wasted.

The way the movie ended gave strong hints towards one or more sequel movies. But I'm not at all interested in finding out what happens next. Maybe I'll check them out if I'm bored one day.

5.5/10 overall
loigia4677's avatar
Oct 21, 2019

Minor spilers!

This movie is really enjoyable, and really great if you want to pass the time.

It has intence action scenes with fluid animations. Though some people complain about the ending and want a second movie for it, i think the movie is fine with out and it can help bring up conversations about the plot with other fans.

It has a marvel movie feel to it for some reason which i think is good for any marvel fans out there. I think the sound track has to do with it.

The sound and music track is espacially really good for it and  it helps in the action and emotional scenes. The voice acting was also good in it and i myself nearly cried at th end!

Though it does use the typical 'revenge plot line', you just gotta look at the movie on as a whole and not compare it to others.

Great MOVIE!!!

(I can't help but ship Mia and Lilly tho, just me?)

FangSoul777's avatar
Jul 28, 2020

I felt it was really rushed and I can see they did make room for another movie but it leaves this one dealing incomplete to me I think it would have been better to put it into a series and let it build up. It's not bad but I won't be going to be rewatching it anytime soon

ferengi4's avatar
Oct 14, 2019

This was suprisingly very good, the story is very Disney-like/Big Hero Six but still well done enough to be entertaining. The premise and world are really well thought out and based on the ending, should have a TV show or another movie in the future. Which I will happily watch as well. It's not gonna be titled the best anime movie but it's really really good and worthy of getting a watch.