Black Blood Brothers - Reviews

pikachu203's avatar
Aug 24, 2013

Ah...  vampires...  I despise vampires.  I hate them with a burning passion due to the cliché way they are depicted in pop-culture.  Ever since Twilight was released and for some reason people enjoyed it (I did not!), paranormal romance has been in.  Hell, even when I go to the book store to buy some new books and mangas there's an entire section labeled Teen Paranormal Romance.  The concept is overrated and overdone.  I've only ever read one book series I remotely liked involving it, and it's not about vampires.  Considering this anime came out the year after the original Twilight book made its first appearance, I was nervous that it would be riding the same path as it: cheesy, poorly written, and all together disappointing and boring.   As you can imagine, even when my close friend CrazyBeverly96 recommended it to me, I was wary to watch it.  After all, I have my reasons to avoid ANYTHING involving vampires.  Wow, was I wrong.

Story (8/10):

This is one of the parts I worried about the most.  I was praying it wouldn't be cliche, and I was right, it wasn't.  The complicated set up with red-bloods (humans) and black-bloods(vampires), and the various clans of vampires makes the show interesting.  It also added an aspect similar to in Wolf's Rain where the characters try to 'find paradise', which in this case, turns out to be a city where humans and vampires coexist peacefully.

The story chronicles the lives of two brothers, Jirou and Kotaru, who are traveling together.  The two don't share much resemblance (actually, none at all...), but hey, neither do Ed and Alphonse in most of Full Metal Alchemist.  Speaking of which, the anime follows a well-used trope in anime of having two brothers (or at least brotherly figures), one older and one younger, who go on their adventures together.  So that's a bit of a downside.

While obviously predictable in certain sections, and with a few measly plot holes, the story still flows nicely.  There's enough unique content to make it very interesting, and the character backstories are deep enough to keep someone watching interested.

Animation (7/10):

There's not too much to complain about in this department.  Character designs are fitting and unique, like Jirou's outfit and both brothers' googles.  Action sequences are pretty good, there aren't a lot of moments where someone could look at the show and get lost on who's hitting who.  The backgrounds, while detailed and somewhat varied, have a tendency to be too dark in most of the city sequences and too bright in others, like in the wintery forest with the Dark Princess of the North.  Overall, pretty good.  Once again, it's not the best I've ever seen, but it's still definitely above average.

I was surprised by the lack of gore and bloodshed(Being that this is a show about vampires), but in some places it seems to follow along what some anime made for younger teenagers or kids do with: ‘That guy just had his arm ripped off!  Wow, there’s not a lot of blood.”  I’ve heard people say there’s quite a bit of blood and gore, but really, it’s not that bad.  If you’re looking for loads of gore, find a horror anime like Corpse Party: Tortured Souls that doesn’t censor blood at all.

Sound (9/10):

It's always fun to write the part of the review about the section you enjoyed the most in the show.  For me, it was definitely the sound.  Both the opening and the outro music were great, but the opening is definitely what I liked the most about the show.  It was fitting to the series’ action.  The voice actors were great, very fitting for the characters they were portraying.

Characters (7/10):

I'll just focus on the three main ones here, as the others are all fine in my opinion.  My only issue would be that one would almost wish the show was a bit longer so that the more minor characters got more time in the spotlight... or in some cases more depth in general.

Jirou: Dark, handsome, complicated, and with an interesting past, he's just the kind of character I love.  His design is unique and obviously fitting.  It's tiring when watching animes to always see the same kind of lighthearted heros all the time.  Characters like Jirou are a nice twist that helps break from the usual heroes/heroines.  His weaknesses are in touch with those of traditional vampires, ie. sunlight, water, etc...  And NO he does not sparkle...

Kotarou: The younger brother of the two vampires.  He's so adorable it burns.  He's innocent, a bit on the naive side, and all together the antithesis of his older brother Jirou.  He's a great foil character for Jirou, and lightens up the show in it's darkest moments...  I can't reveal too much more about him, because... well, SPOILERS!

Mimiko - the reigning heroine of the little band of heroes in their not-so-merry adventures is mature and relatively calm.  She is once again, an interesting alternative, and prefers to compromise instead of fighting if possible(duh...)  She's strong enough to deal with vampires and other things that would otherwise cause a weaker character to fall apart.

Overall (7.5/10):

It exceeded all of my expectations.

I would recomend it.

MechaRainbow's avatar
Jun 22, 2011

The show was more or less just "eh". The Plot was fairly entertaining but it was like they were trying too hard. I honestly had high expectations based on the reviews I have seen but once again just "eh". Honestly the character development could have been done better. They did attempt you give you a little backround but it was still very dry, you only invest your emotions into the characters to an extent, well atleast in my opinion...Other than that the action was pretty mediocre, and for a vampire series everything was too clean, it didn't have that gritty look to it. Most of the actions scenes it seemed too easy there just wasn't a lot to them regardless of how beat up some characters did get,y wasn't that much of a challenge, just the main character's carelessness in his case. But other than the characters and the fight scenes the series was kind of too bright for a vampire series in my opinion but everything else was well done. The show was entertaining and people are waiting for the next season. This one is just an anime that you could go both ways, matter of opinion,it is not a must watch but it is ok for the most part. So if its on your list then enjoy but I wouldn't make a big rush to get to it, takes a certain taste. Personally wish I would've spent my time with something else first

angelsreviews's avatar
Jul 15, 2013

I really did like the show, though I found it a bit hard to pick out what was happening now and happening back during the attack on Hong Kong because of some of the flash backs. Kotaro is a really cute and funny character, always getting into trouble and is a good contrast to his very old sounding brother, Jiro. It’s nice that they had kept a version of the real vampire myths. They kept the *cough* feelings that happen when a vampire bites another, and some of the stuff about their weaknesses and such. The play between a couple of people is rather fun including the strange Rinsuke Akai who seems to be rather flamboyant. He had no reason being there except for to be a yaoi fan girls dream.

The animation is rather nice and fluid though we have one of the same problems as other shoes where we get the stupid motion lines. It’s supposed to make it seem rather fast but it just feels cheesy most of the time. There are a lot of times that it does look cheaply made and characters look out of proportion, but I still like the show when it doesn’t. I like how they change to a sort of grayer tone for when they show a flashback though I don’t understand why they don’t do it to the flashbacks of the Kowloon War.

The voices in the English dub are actually pretty fitting to the characters and not to off-putting. One of the problems I had was when some of the other characters were brought in. Their voices would ether be to low for me to hear and when I turned it up, the loud voices and music hurt my ears. The music has a pretty nice pop art sound to it and then it was balanced with a little bit of the piano music, and I never had trouble with it overpowering the scenes. Most fit pretty well though they did have some of side-walk walking music that made some characters fun.

cymetrical's avatar
Apr 29, 2018

This show gets a lot of praise for some reason, i personally found it god awful, 14 alcoholic beverages to get through the last 5 episodes in fact. The characters were half-assed at best with no form of development whatsoever throughout the show, the plot came straight from a Tumblr girl's fantasy based on some crappy spinoff of twilight and the graphics made pacman seem HD in comparison, even considering the time period it was from.

The characters were some of the most incompetent, annoying hodgepodge of lackluster i'd ever had the horror of seeing on any screen and were so forgettable i couldn't even bother remembering what they did.

Plot
Loose ends run amok, but i rather forget i even saw this anime that waste my time finding answers. The flashbacks at the beginning of episodes served no purpose other than to bolster my annoyance and if there was any kind of plot twist/significant plot point it was overshadowed completely by abysmal deliverance.

Animations is Sub-par for the course, the main character dresses like a confused leprechaun and scenery seems to be cut and pasted from other much older anime's, all in all nothing ever stands out.

Peachie's avatar
May 20, 2010

Ten years earlier in the Hong Kong Crusade the Silver Blade defeated the Kowloon King and destroyed most of his vampire offspring. Now  Jiro Mochizuki, AKA the Silver Blade, and his younger brother Kotaro head to the special zone, a vampire sanctuary where Jiro plans to immerse his sibling in the community there. Unknown to our hero is that the remaining Kowloon Children plan to enter the special zone and wreak havoc on the peaceful inhabitants inside.

If I was only given one word to describe this series, I'd go with dissatisfactory. That's not to say it's bad, because it's interesting enough, I just left feeling sort of unfulfilled. I've talked to friends who've watched it as well and mostly I get the impression that they thought it was beyond awesome, but I can't bullshit myself on this one, I thought it was average. That could be because I'm only a casual vampire fan, I mean I loved Blood+ but can we really consider that a hardcore vampire story? What it is, is that you'll watch the entire series, stand up and suddenly feel like you're missing something.It's only twelve episodes long, which is fine, but by the end it felt like I'd only watched about five or six episodes, like these twelve are only the setup for the meat of the story. They spend a lot of time revealing Jiro's past and who everyone is, then they have one big fight and it's all over. You take your favorite action series, for example and start with that first micro-arc they give you to establish character, setting, and plot and then end it. It was an interesting take on vampires, however, not anything super new. It will keep you guessing and interested, but be warned that you may be in the minority with me who found the ending okay but lacking.

Animation and sound were good. Animation was pretty great but nothing to lose my mind for. I watched the dub and I thought the voice actors did great.For all you people who aren't thrilled by dubs it's watchable if you prefer english.

Because the series spends a lot of time showing flashbacks and getting to know our cast, characters are the driving force behind the entire series. It starts out slowly, revealing only what we need to know at a good pace and eventually ending with a well formed idea of who these people are. You'll have your favorites, mine was Zelman Clock, and your least favorites, wasn't a big fan of Jiro. Most of them fall snuggly into roles we've seen many times before but luckily they're characters we like. One problem I encountered was that some of the characters slip through the cracks a bit. Everyone's always focused on Jiro and Kotaro,(like Jiro's the goddamn emperor of vampires or something) I would have liked to learn more about Zelman, or the Lord Dragon kid, or the antagonist's side of the story. You don't get a good sense of why the villian is the villian other than them going against the hero's. Otherwise good.

Overall, if you're looking for something deep and meaningful look elsewhere cause this ain't it. While the series is fun in it's own right it's not anything you want to go giving up your first born son to see. In fact skipping it is perfectly acceptable. The ending felt as if it were only the beginning with a couple of questions left unanswered (though not many) and only a feel for few of the cast which in my mind is inadequate story telling. The story is a fine blend of suspense and humor, but a surprising lack of gore for a show about creatures who suck peoples blood.I give this one a six out of ten because even though it was lacking on certain plot points, it was still enjoyable. A good series to add to your anime resume if you have the time, if not, don't sweat it you aren't missing much.