JadedDragos's avatar
Feb 4, 2018

Part Three..... The aftermath! After part two you would think that it couldnt get any worse....... dead wrong (to a lot of them!) Not going to reveal anything in this review about part three other then action, action, blood, and more blood.....oh and demons.....lots...

Once again everything is top notch in this anime movie. It ends in a blast and now I can safely watch the rest of the series knowing what happened and the full history between the main characters.

So again, looking for an anime movie that wont disappoint? Then start at part one and do'nt stop!!

Varagauzer's avatar
Sep 10, 2013

This is a review for the first 3 Berserk Golden Age Arc movies

These movies were made in an attempt to cover the chapters in the manga, my guess is that every year they will realase one of these movies.

The pace is very fast in just 3 movies they managed to cover up to the point where the original TV series left off. Berserk has a very interestong story with a lot of morals behind it such as ambition( the best example is Griffth), betrayal, friendship etc. As I said the story moves very fast in one scene you see Guts injured and in the next scene you see him fighting which signals that a few months have past. This didn't bother me at all you have to keep paying attention and the story is really good to keep you watching it.

The problem I think is in the 3rd movie, where the monsters and the huge supernatural events take place as well as where Griffith becomes something like a god, it just feels like a completely different anime you're watching.

I'll be honest here the animation was shit, just pure shit. In one scene the characters looked like anime, then in the next everything became poorly animated CG images. It felt at times like I was watching a video game and an anime mix up into one. Fight scenes were mostly CG animated, it really didn't look good at all. It does manage to keep its violent nature though, it's really bloody and there are a lot of sex scenes, the good thing is that the sex scenes are not abused, it 2 characters have sex it is relevant to the plot eg. when Griffith slept with Charollte(the princess) that was a huge turning point for the anime. That artwork was generally decent, but I was expecting it to be better,  they really nailed it with Griffith's feminine look though that was well done, Guts does not look as masculine as he should look.

But the huge problem overall here was the overused CG images

The voice acting english and Japanese was very well done soundtracks were kind of catchy also.

Naturally Berserk has very deep characters, from the manga and the TV series. In these movies they got a bit shallow and this has mainly to do with the extremely fast pacing of the movie, they didnt give us enough time to understand at first and when they do undergo some kind of development its unclear why is that relevant to the character.

Overall

I'll say it now the TV series is slightly better these movies and the manga is better than all. But don't get me wrong, these 3 movies were very enjoyable. I beleive that the Berserk manga is still going on, so its problay safe to say that we havent seen the last of Berserk animation yet, in a few interviews I read, some adapatation of the Berserk saga is underway I will be happy if that happens because overall I do love Berserk.

AlexFDZ's avatar
May 26, 2015

Berserk Golden Age III: Descent: Tercera película que le da el cierre al Golden Arc. Abarca el retorno de Guts, la tortura de Griffith y las consecuencias del Eclipse. Estas es una de las películas que más diferencias presenta con lo visto en el anime y lo leído. Lo cual no quiere decir que está mal, es más, puedo agregar que lo que han incluido lo han hecho de muy buena forma, haciendo más interesante la trama en esta película, así como dar algo fresco a los que ya hemos visto este arco varias veces (Manga/Anime). No obstante no todo es bueno, creo que esta vez llevan un ritmo muy acelerado en la trama y se enfocan en muchas cosas que no son de mucha relevancia .Sacrificando así valiosas escenas que pudieron haber sido incluidas. Como por ejemplo el retorno de Guts a la banda de los halcones pasa de una manera muy acelerada quitando así por completo el factor nostalgia y esperanza que da cuando este por fin vuelve a la banda tras escuchar que están ofreciendo mucho dinero por la cabeza de estos. Lo extraño es que teniendo el doble de minutos que sus anteriores entregas, decidan en este film apresurar tanto las cosas, a mi parecer algo que lo único que consiguen es disminuir la calidad de la obra y decepcionar fans.

Creo que la música otra vez vuelve a caer en un estado de aceptable. Los temas dejan de compartir protagonismo como lo visto el film anterior. Y es que esta historia al menos para mí, es la que más necesita de la música, pues la música en la mayoría de los casos hace que las escenas tengan un peso más psicológico e importante. Su animación sigue estando notable, esta vez mejoraron aquel inconveniente de animar los rostros utilizando CGI, y en su lugar simplemente dejaron el arte tradicional para caracterizar facciones en los rostros como generalmente lo vemos. Los personajes siguen desarrollándose y continúan a la altura, la introducción de un jinete que ayuda a Guts, y los niños que lo ayudan al final del eclipse me parecieron buenas inclusiones. Bastante decepcionado con el cambio del torturador, pues de un tipo que causaba odio y se le podía ver el sadismo impregnado, pasamos a un enano con una excesiva fealdad y tendencia a causar dolor (Esto es un cliché bastante asqueroso). También me parece justo destacar la subida de nivel que obtenemos por parte de los Seiyus, los cuales se escuchan cada vez más impregnados y metidos en sus personajes.

Con poco que agregar y, notando más cosas buenas que malas hay que decir que la tercer film en general es el mejor de la trilogía, pues logra el balance perfecto entre animación, historia y acción.

ParaParaJMo's avatar
Mar 13, 2014

Continuing from where the last movie leaves off, Guts leaves the Band of the Hawk and Griffith is captured. It is now a year later and Guts has returned to save Griffith who is now only beyond a mere shell of his former glory self. Anyway, I say this has been the best movie of the trilogy so far. In context to story, the beginning is very rushed and some scenes are taken out from the original manga and some are properly rearranged. But it doesn't really hurt the flow for the story in relation to the movie. It works in its own way, but I will admit as a manga purist, idealistically, I wish it followed the manga 100% to a t, but that's just me. This movie is now 2 hours so it allows more content, though I wish all the movies were 2 hours.

The controversial CG in my humble opinion, has improved but still has its problems. I say the frame rate is more even and the frame size in proportion to the characters and foreground appropriately accommodates it. It still comes across as "gamey," but it is an improvement, but by no means perfect. The action is very violent and lives up to its bad ass title. There will be plenty of blood and gore. Even though Guts is the main character and a bad ass, I will admit when this guy fights, he scares me and this movie does a good job of making me scared of the main character. There's nothing to fear, but fear itself, but fear fears Guts. On a list of top anime bad asses, Guts has to be on that list no doubt.

I say what defines the art and animation is how it sets the atmosphere and brings you into the emotions. You feel Griffith's fragility. Even though you don't see him unmasked, the detail to the art on whatever you see of his face is enough to give you an idea of what he would look like if unmasked. You see the hesitation of Guts on whether or not he should leave the Hawks again. You feel Casca's frustrations. I feel that the raw emotions bring a sense of substance in conjunction to its R-15+ (the equivalent to an NC-17 in America) rating.

The voice acting, as I have admitted in previous reviews, has been an issue for me. I will admit that Guts' new actor has shown improvement and shown instances that he can capture the character. But I will openly admit as a purist and fanboy that Nobutoshi Canna is still Guts to me while Michael Bell will always be his English voice to me. The guy who plays Jedau does an ok imitation of the character's original voice actor, Ishida Akira. Maybe for people not familiar with the previous anime series and the games will not find this to be an issue and may like the voice actors.

Like the second movie, the soundtrack is more acoustics and orchestrated. My thoughts on that carry onto this movie as well. It suits the time period very well and knows how to suit the atmosphere. The orchestra in the ending credits was very impressive. Susumu Hirakawa still does the opening theme and is my favorite part of the soundtrack. Still, like the newer voice cast, fans new to Berserk who had not seen the previous anime series or played the games will probably not think of this as an issue.

The closest thing to a spoiler I can give is that after the ending credits, there is a post credits scene which isn't much for some people, but after that is over, there is a message in clear English that says "This is only the beginning" meaning we will get new Berserk movies. I say its only natural with the easter eggs in previous movies, this series deserves its shot where it really shines. For those not familiar with the Berserk manga, this new trilogy is a mere fraction of what Berserk has to offer. So I hope we hear more news soon if a new Berserk movie will come out this year or not.

After that, we get a bonus music video!!! So fans will most likely enjoy this

FullmetalCowboy's avatar
May 1, 2014

Critic’s Log - Earthdate: May 1, 2013. Review #86: Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III - The Advent

Guts and the rest of the Band of the Hawk join forces once again to try to rescue Griffith from the depths of the dungeon of Midland. This is just the beginning of the end of the Golden Age

Well, that was a short synopsis and let me tell you… If I said anymore, it will start going into spoiler territory. I am only giving you the basic premise of how things will start for the sake of viewer interest. To be technical, this third and final part of the Golden Arc movies is a Studio 4°C production and I’ll be damned. The animation has improved greatly this time around. There really isn’t a whole lot of CG animation in this one and I’m glad to not see much of it. However, there are some CG scenes that still feels a little out of place but that’s only in a few scenes. Most of the time, the animation is shown the way it should be. However, the animation isn’t perfect in this one and again… it’s because the CG animation sticks out like a sore thumb.

The music by Shiro Sagisu once again compliments the movies well. This time, the darker tones in the soundtrack really suit the movie well considering what is shown in the movie. I would like to say more about the soundtrack for the third movie but I pretty much already said what I could about Sagisu-san. Because Susumu Hirasawa only did the opening for the Golden Age movies, I had to explain what I thought about the different composer during my first review. The second film and this one keep the track record going without changing its tone compleletly except for this one with a more darker tone in the music which is outstanding. Hirasawa-san, I like your stuff, but I think Shiro Sagisu has a more fitting soundtrack when it comes to Berserk.

In regards to voice acting, the Japanese cast feels the same. It’s not an impressive cast in the long run in the Golden Age movies so… I have nothing to add in regards to the Japanese cast. The English dub for the Golden Age movies is at its peak and it goes all out in this one. That’s all I can say about both casts.

When it comes to characters, I am afraid I cannot say much this time around but I would like to say one thing. It is about damn time that The Skull Knight is seen in Anime form.

Now when it comes to story, this is the last third of the Golden Age arc being told which makes it very difficult to revisit. I’ve read the manga of this arc, and I’ve seen the original anime. This last third is difficult for some to go through and I can understand why. If there’s one thing I wanted to save just for this review. It is that I do find the pacing in the first movie to be pretty bad in the rushed sense while the second movie was evenly paced even with a 90 minute runtime. This movie is around 15 minutes longer than the second film and the pacing is not bad. Why am I pointing this out? it’s because the character development is affected just a little bit. Guts, Casca and Griffith are developed well for the most part, but my problem lies with the rest of the Band of the Hawk. There was enough time in the original anime and even in the manga to get attached to these guys. In the movies, it doesn’t really have that same effect. My big complaint with the development is that Guts and Casca’s backstories were severely reduced, and here’s the Hawk-tease. Griffith’s supposed backstory is closer to the source material than Guts and Casca’s backstories yet his backstory IS REDUCED TO SOME EXTENT. That is a bunch of birdshit. This is the one thing that disappoints me about the movies but the movies still hold up for the most part. Here’s my little problem with the Golden Age movies as a whole. Toshiyuji Kubooka’s directing. Granted, movie’s tend to have lesser screentime than shows… but there are times where scenes are rushed after specific scenes. The thing is… The first movie’s rushed pacing could’ve been fixed if the scenes didn’t feel rushed at certain moments. The second and third movie don’t do this as much but there are some scenes that could’ve been built up much better like the original anime did. In comparison to the original anime, The Golden Age movies do have pacing problems and there is some stuff still left out that could’ve been shown in the movies. But alas, that isn’t the case. If there is one thing this movie did do, it is that it shows that the Berserk movies has improved in time. Sure the first movie is hit and miss with its unpleasant mix of 3D animation and 2D animation and pacing issues and the second movie being more watchable even though some scenes had that distracting 3D animation. This third movie doesn’t use as much 3D animation on character figures this time around as the last two movies did and that’s where this third movie really improved on. There has been word from Kubooka-san a while back that there will be more after this, and I can hope that it won’t disappoint after Studio 4°C improved from the movie series’ progression. These Berserk movies do have their flaws but then again… The original anime had some flaws too… If neither works for you, there’s always the juggernaut manga which is the source material of Berserk.

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III - The Advent is available by Viz Media, The manga by Kentaro Miura is available by Dark Horse.

With all that said, Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III - The Advent is a more-improved film than the last two. It doesn’t have as much pacing issues, the soundtrack is still good, the characters are still mostly good, the story is still memorable in its last third, but the biggest improvement is the animation which looked good for the most part where the last two movie had distracting CG animation that this third movie doesn’t use as much. It still isn’t perfect, but the third and final Golden Age movie of Berserk leaves me with hopes that the next movie will look even better. If it happens that is…

I give Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III - The Advent a 9.1 out of 10. it is EXCELLENT!

Feel free to leave a  comment

9.2/10 story