Berserk (2017) - Reviews

Varagauzer's avatar
Jun 25, 2017

People often say "Berserk has an amazing story (which I agree) how can bad animation ruin it?". And to those people I have this response " Have you read the manga? You do realise that the most emotional, most important, most impactful, most horrifying moments comes from those full spread pages with no words" Berserk's artwork complements its fantastic story. There's a sense of grandeur in Berserk's art, it makes its world/ characters seem fully realised all of which seem completely absent from this adaptation.

You know what the worst part is? It's that seemingly all the problems that existed in the 2016 version are present in this one as well, that tells me one thing, this studio doesn't care about berserk or its fans they just want to make a quick buck of the heads of loyal fans, because its apparant that they didn't listen to any feedback cause zero effort was put into this. There are free software avaliable that does 3D better than this. People often say "ohh its better than nothing", don't serve me shit on a plate and tell me its better than nothing. And low budget doesn't excuse bad animation, remember berserk 1997?

Here are some problems with this (its pretty obvious cause its floating around on the internet but I'll list it anyway) :

• Bad lip syncing
  • CLANG makes its return
  • Emotionless faces,you cant connect with none of the characters
  • Low framerate in fight scenes it actually makes your head hurt
  • They didn't even bother to animate some characters moving
  • Hey at least the voice acting is good? hahahaha you could tell that the voice actors knew what a piece of shit this was, none of them sound intrested
  • wild camera swings
  • They didn't even bother to shade the characters properly!! Just some pencil sketches on the models
  • Secondary characters' models are reused.....this is not a joke, they actually reused character models for side characters just changed the clothes, they didnt even bother to modify the face, jeez that's lazy
  • Character movements are stiff and un-natural
  • The CG is just plain ugly and horrendus to look at
  • The world feels empty (remember in the manga how overwhelming the world felt? It's absent here)
  • The Berserker armor scene......was terrible, I was lost for words on how bad that was
  • Some images are recreated from the manga but its done so bad you won't care, often they'll do a wild camera swing so you don't even get time to appreciate it

I can probably go on, there's so much wrong that it does, but you get the point, so stop defending this, its bad no matter how you look at it, I get it you love berserk, so do I, but don't you think that Berserk deserves better than this?

3.5/10 overall
ziazis's avatar
May 28, 2017

So let's start off right away with what we all see and like... or rather hate. The CGI.

Seeing alot of people complaining about it, I myself have to agree. It is in fact not a nice too look at anime. However it is in no point completly horrific like a lot of you make it out to be.

Is it bad from the camera points? Yes...

Is the action not good? Well, it's fine. It gets the point over to the viewer.

Having said that it is all in poor taste from the Animation's point of view. It would be much better if we could actually watch it drawn instead of CGI'd. That doesn't mean the show itself is horrible to watch though.

The story is still amazing. Having not read the manga, I still do enjoy all the twists which are happening and the encounters itself. Guts meeting new comrades and cutting monsters in halfs is exactly what I hoped I would get when I started watching the 2016 and now the 2017 one and it pretty much follows this.

The music is just nice, you get always hyped up if something is happening or get in the spooky/danger mood if something is crawling around. It's done well enough where I would say I can't complain about it too much.

The characters are all awesome, none feel boring or out of place. They all seem to be having a point in being there. But that is probably thanks to the manga itself more than the anime.

So all in all I would recommend everyone who liked the first Berserk to watch this one, if you want more action packed guts cutting. Yes, the animation itself is not nice to watch if you are used to other better series but if you can look past that you can still enjoy the story and characters themselves. For me the animation is no point were I would say "I'm not watching this!". It's more of a "Meh, it's still not nice".

I myself enjoy watching this series and hope for more and who knows? Maybe with the next season they might finally change that silly CGI.

Dionkeykong's avatar
May 3, 2017

I'm starting to believe that the studio that made this shitcake consists of monumental morons who don't know shit about anime.They had 6 or so fucking months to iron out any problems the last one had.

I can't believe i've rated a Bersek so low but well..I did and here comes one of the maddest reviews i've done to date.If you are a fanboy or a fangirl or someone who can't handle mature language take a hike cause things are gonna get a bit messy.
It's a little known fact among my peers that i love Berserk.In fact i love it so much that i wanted to move to Japan and marry it,have it's kids and live happily ever after.But i think it might have been a holiday romance and when we came back i realised that it had horrid face hair.
I was in love with the manga.All the details,the story,the design....Every single damn thing was absolutely stunning..And some time back the first one popped and boy did all the boys howl like we saw Pamela Anderson blowing Tommy Lee on a boat(which happened some years later actually).And while not the best even by the standards of the time it had something to it that made you....Happy.
Fast forward to 2016 and after many attempts the franchise had yet to see a proper adaptation.And this one was the first ever Bersek that made me hate its' guts(pun intended).In short it was unwatchable.My head was spinning like i took cocaine or meth.Which clearly to my mind was what the studio that made this was on at the time.That horrible CGI,i still have nightmares about it.
2017 and there's word about this,the new and better in every way Berseker..And when i saw it i smiled.I smiled like Joker did.But my friends as it turned out the only normal thing,animationwise wwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaassssss..The fucking opening.After that it was like being dipped in liquid nitrogen and then smashed to pieces.
All the excitement and joy gone in secs.i couldn't believe my eyes.The CGI was still there and still as cancerous as ever.If the previous one gave my eyes cancer this gave my brain Ebola and i died painfully screaming like a madman.
The characters design....Dear lord deliver us from evil.The shades for example were like i took a pencil and just drew some lines on their faces.You remember those early 32 bit console graphics?Well they managed to do worse than those.It was painful to watch.The camera angles are like they're taken out of Ozzy's birthday party after he got hold of a camera,stoned out of his mind.
The animation is the killer of this show.Even the 90's Berserk animation is better than that.Now i know that the cost of adapting the highly detailed manga would be off the charts.But this isn't an excuse for such a bad job.The frame rate is jerky at best.The movements are so unnatural it's like watching a mouse breastfeeding an elephant.The combined use of 2d and 3d is off the place.The end result is so appaling it's almost like watching Donald Trump havin one of his famous showers...
Then onto the sound dept..The sound effects are horrible beyond belief..A fight breaks out and swords clash and you hear the unmistakable sound of your mother banging sauce pans..If i wanted to hear sauce pans banging i'd hear Metallica's St.Anger lads...The opening song?It doesn't serve only as an opening song but also as a background music...Seriously?How freakin lazy are they?You can hear the damn lyrics in the background while conversations are taking place.
I expect the fanboys to barge in and burn me alive for this review,but i'm not into fanboyisms..If something is crap i'll say it's crap..Emotions don't make for a better show..And this isn't one.
IF we were talking about the manga,IF,i would be writing a love letter to the maker not a rant in AP.But now we are talking about the anime.And since the most basic pillar,the animation,is outrageously bad to the point it becomes dangerous for my health then i can't possibly care if the story is made from the tears of an angel.And since i can't bring my self to watch this i can't and won't care about anything.If they wanted me and other people to care maybe they should have gone down another path.Which they didn't.

Let me give you an example.If you have a surgery you expect the doctor to do a good job and not leave you a hideous scar.If the doctor does a good job all is well.If he leaves a sponge or a screwdriver inside you after the operation...See my point?

0.1/10 story
0.1/10 animation
0.1/10 sound
0.1/10 characters
0.1/10 overall
RagingFury's avatar
Oct 6, 2017

If it wasnt for the horrible animation. This would have been the best anime of its genre.

7.5/10 characters
JadedDragos's avatar
Sep 3, 2018

So like the season before this one had lots of action in it and lots more anger from Guts in it, but from the introduction of Farnese, Serpico and Schierke coming together and actually being in a group with Guts him seems to be more calm and focused......until the Berserker Armor.

Story wise this pretty much has everyone getting used to each other and on going issues that Guts deals with and ends on a good note. Leaves it open very well for the next season.

Animation is nice and crisp, dark and broody as usual when needed, but springs to life in the City of Humans, the Forest Mansion, or when Schierke uses her magic and then it shows off the light in a great display.

Opening and closing credits as well as internal story music is top notch as always. Can not get through an episode with out loving this music.

Overall I enjoyed this season very well and is something I would watch again.