BanG Dream! - Reviews

sadness's avatar
Dec 15, 2018

ABSOLUTELY ADORE BANDORI. I wasn't too fond of the series at first, but eventually I dug more in and found my love for it with some time. Back then, I could hardly name any one of them, but now I literally remember all 25 of their full names. cx I can't believe I actually remember most of the songs too;; They really are catchy. ^o^ Seiyuus do a INCREDIBLE job! The characters are absolutely precious and adorable, but I can't speak for each and every one of them... Not only the anime, but the game is great as well. Very addicting lol. Bandori just makes me go like <333333 SAYO HIKAWA BEST GIRL AND YES SAYO NOT HINA.

9.5/10 animation
9.5/10 characters
Oceanshimmer's avatar
Sep 14, 2020

• If you like band animes, you might like this one.
  • It's probably best not to watch this show if you came from the game. The show is a dragged out version of the game story. The game's story takes around 2 hours to read (if you wait for the voices), while the anime takes about 4 hours to watch. If the animation was more interesting then it would have been worth watching. However, the animation is not much of a step up from the animated stills in the game.
  • Poppin' Party is the most boring band in Bandori, so if you didn't enjoy the anime, don't disregard the game. It's pretty fun. (and you could skip the stories-)

-Story: The main character befriends someone to get their guitar. The only problem? The main character doesn't know how to play. Watch as the main character makes deals and gradually forces everyone around her to join her band, all under the guise of naivity.

-Animation: Not bad or spectacular, it's alright. A bit bland.

-Sound [Kind of a... hit or miss]:

"Don't be Afraid" [Liked]

"Dokimeki Experience" [Disliked]

"Keep on moving" [Liked]

"Choco Cornet Love" [Disliked]

-Characters: All of the characters (excluding the main one) have a reason for not wanting to join the band. I think each of them have fleshed out personalities and backstories, however, they're too tied down by the main character. All the characters revolve around the main one. Character interactions feel a bit restricted to the main one.

Overall, it's eh, the kind of anime you ether half pay attention to or watch while doing something else. I would not have watched this show to its entirety had I not enjoyed the game so much (and been so bored). I may have enjoyed this anime had it been about any other band or had interesting animation attatched to it.

Some people probably can find the characters and story to be interesting, it's just not my personal taste.

DGFischer's avatar
Mar 15, 2020

Welcome to the world of the Girl Band, soon to become Girl Band vs. Girl Band as the BanG Dream franchise expands.  Season One is actually the origin story of Poppin’ Party, a five-gal troupe formed by Kasumi who enters the picture as a carefree newbie high schooler and non-musician.  Growing up, Kasumi had a fascination for the night sky and is inspired to take up the guitar because she has found one in the shape of a star.  Not your typical rocker … but the story must start off somehow.

Complications seem to drive the storyline of the 13-episode season.  The star-guitar Kasumi desires is owned by Kasumi’s classmate and friend, Arisa.  She plans to sell it on eBay and Kasumi only has to beat the present 200K yen bid (how many are even now asking, “Alexa, how much is 200,000 Yen?” following that up with “Wow!”).  Kasumi virtually enslaves herself to Arisa to gain the instrument.  Once Kasumi gets the guitar, she must learn to play it.  Enter Tae, the main guitarist who is the soul of patience in getting Kasumi to understand her basic chords.  Then the bass guitarist … Rimi seems too small to wield the bass, and the instrument she plays seems too small to be an actual bass guitar.  But she wails on it in her cute, shy manner.   Then we learn Arisa is not as proficient on the keyboard as she claims.  The prospective drummer, Saaya, has dropped from one group because of her concern for her anemic mother.  Kasumi’s hope to have her on the band seems remote.   After a successful gig at the school’s cultural festival, Kasumi’s band, Poppin’ Party (or Po-Pi-Pa for short) has its next goal; it's to play at the local performance venue, SPACE.  A first audition fails.  The Owner, a hard-bitten she-rocker from an era long ago, pushes the girls to their limits.  She announces that she will close SPACE within the year.  At the second audition, Kasumi’s nerve and voice fails.  They can have only one more chance to audition.  The final two episodes are a frantic chase to make the slate for SPACE’s final night.

As one continues viewing the next seasons and spin-offs, be sure to pack a good memory for names, who is related to whom, musical styles … stuff like that.  New groups as Roselia (the drummer, Ako, tends to be freaky … if she can pass off a decent goth aura), Afterglow, Hello Happy World (the DJ, known only as ‘Michelle’ … how do we know? … oh, heck, keep watching).  New musical genres from pop, to metal, to goth, to whatever.  It promises to be a wild musical ride … girl style.

Irhamel's avatar
Feb 22, 2019

I was considering writing a lengthy review, in which I would spoil, comment, rant, and blah blah, but decided against it, not because the show was worth it but because is needless, as the show itself is great the voice artists did an amazing job, the sound was fairly good for the standard expected on the writing genre, its a "high school" setting so going too deep and pro isn't really needed so considering those facts, you can skip many many tedious words and go straight to the point.

The show BanG Dream! is an excellent "introduction" to a "possible" series of seasons where we will "if it even happens" see and experience how our beloved cute little girls grow from tiny, naive, innocent and pure "first year in high school" into somewhat more seasoned or exposed(to real music composing, songwriting, singing and performing) "third years", gain a lot experience "for what is worth" and in a following season the transition into university(or not as in go straight into professional band/thingy), with a noticeably more mature cast and more "elaborated" and less "cute/naive" songwriting.

I expect this to happen, yet not sure in which order or at what speed, because the nature of the genre is tough to make too many seasons without giving the viewer some "life" substance but not enough to bore them to death, a proper example in my personal opinion is beck, where we are deeply involved in the "real life" of Koyuki as much as in his life as a growing musician but not so far away from the band and its own troubles (outside the "real life" of its members) and how they as a group overcome them.

Story: very well thought and well executed, yes a little fast but you can't expect much more from a 12/13 chapters anime. so get 9/10

Animation: it's good, Xebec has great works to its name so doubting that aspect is really needless and Issen is new to me but with Xebec behind/beside them it was simply a cinch from the getgo so it gets a 10/10

Sound: I liked the sound very much, not to give it a 10/10 but enough to warrant the 9/10 I awarded, again is a show about tiny cute little high school girls in their first year, naive and pure, so the music and sound, in general, is very appropriate.

Characters: they were great, I loved how it started, how we got to know the members, friends family and went through some of their life experiences and troubles without deepening too much into those as the focus was the band and the girls as a group not an ensemble of individuals with a rich story each. so they get 10/10

So let's leave it in a 9.5/10 rating and allow me to say that in my very personal and humble opinion, this show is highly recommended!

Emmarose1292's avatar
Apr 18, 2021

I have only watched two episodes but on the first one i got hooked i love this anime so much already i love the charters, plot, animation everthing and to be honest i already simp for all most all the girls already