B: The Beginning - Reviews

Deo2's avatar
Mar 3, 2018

Story:  A really twisted physiological story that will keep you in and wanting to know what will happen next. The whole story is in future with some SciFi but cars and building and some background features looks like in 40s or something around that time.

Animation: Really liked some features in animation. Such as a great edit on openig/ending. Also the text and structures that would pop up when the MC was thinkig and etc. looked really nice. The animation would be 9/10 if not the CGI at random times. I think the animation is mixed between 2D and CG. But I'm not the expert so don't quote me on this. Also there is some mature content such as blood and dead bodies and etc.

Sound:I loved it, the music was selected wisely and fitting for every spectrum of of the anime: sad, drama, comedy and etc. The voice acting was nice too. SFX-sound effects was also great.

Overall: You can watch it if you have time.

kyandibaburu's avatar
Mar 7, 2018

There is a world where tradition and science walk hand in hand, where old technology is still alive but also supported by new technology, where you can create anything with science but need humans beyond science to destroy it all. This is the story about a archipelagic nation of Cremona, which in a way resembles Italy or some other parts of Europe, where mysterious killer, Killer B, tries to get ride of people who commited crime and at first seems like a fallen angel. But is that really true?

The story begins strongly, with so many mysterious - about Killer B, about RIS - the Royal Investigation Service - which are fighting crime, and its investigators. Then it continues with even more mysteries, plot twists, flash backs, good music, nice animation and interesting characters. It also seems like at one poing we are in the past (because of old phones, cars) but on the other hand we are in the future (because of advance computer technology), and that we are in fantasy story which is based on scientific facts. It all works well, in originality and creativity.

There is also lots of humour especially around Keith - the genious and legend among investigators, who kind of acts crazy and as he lost his memories or is living in the past (which can also be true because as we get to know, his sister was murdered in the past). He is a really good character, who likes to be alone, has sharp mind and lives for solving crime. In a way he reminded me of older version of Kougami from Psycho Pass. Not only him, the whole story in a way resembles Psycho Pass but in my opinion it lacks in emotions, drama, suspense, but on the other hand it changes certain story parts which we didn’t like in Psycho Pass.

But as said even though the whole ONA is really good and I couldn’t stop watching it until the end, it has some space for improvement. This story has many plot twists, but in my opinion they are not strong enough. Maybe because story is not complex enough or because there are some hints which you can use to predict what will happen next. Another reason could also be the pace of the whole story and its music. The whole pace is slower and it in a way relax you more than it should, the scenes, expecially in crucial situations, are sometimes also moving too slowly and the music is not as dramatic as we are used to in crime series. The change of sounds, music and pace could also improve its suspence and create stronger emotions in the viewers. The end of it also needs improvement, like most of original anime or animation series, because they mostly put everything into beginning and the middle, but lost time for the ending. It could be stronger and more open. It of course has a hint of continuation, but it is kind of lost in all emotions and information we got after main characters solved all the mysteries.

But overall, even thought this ONA could have stronger music, faster pace and more complex story, it works almost perfectly. It is easy to understand (because sometimes you gave up on certain crime series because they are so complex that you need so much knowledge of science or you need to keep attention for the whole series), everything makes sense at the end, characters are amazing, humour is on point, animation is very good. It could improve but still it leaves quite an impression.

Ryukami's avatar
Mar 18, 2018

B: The beginning is named such, for it ends on a cliffhanger.

The first episode fools you into thinking that this is a show about solving crimes, but it's actually a show about a mentally insane serial killer, prophesy of a black winged king and people created to be weapons.

My only real problem with the show, is that the diary should have been handled better: It's presented to the viewer on episode 6, it's shown to be missing 3 pages on episode 6, Koku is shown to be in posession of said 3 pages on episode 6 and Keith gets the 3 pages from Koku on episode 6. The 3 pages should have been shown at episode 1 or 2, Keith should have been shown to be reading the diary several times and at the end of an episode before the episode Keith get's the pages, it could have been shown that the diary is missing pages.

Story kept me "on the edge of my seat" even though I watched this from my bed, there were many interesting moments and a relatively satisfying ending.

Animation is good and combat scenes are exiting albeit short.

Sound is good, very mood fitting music and sound effects just plain work.

When it comes to characters, the main cast was well developed and interesting, but the side characters didn't get much screen time.

Pulu's avatar
Mar 13, 2018

Story: I loved it! I love how they execute the story but leaving us in the dark about what's going on but at the same time, not making too confusing or boring to continue watching. Story is well paced; not too slow or fast and never a boring moment. The ending ended with a nice conclusion; the MC succeeded in what he set out to get back.

Animation: So-so for me. I've seen better but this is alright too considering Production I.G was in charge of it.

Sound: The soundtrack was not good in my opinion. At times, the music didnt bring out the tension of the situation, especially during the fight scenes. And at times, i find the music louder than what the character's voices.

Characters: I love all the characters in the anime. All of them are well designed and unique, especially the MC! I love everything about him, his powers and his VA!

iphis's avatar
May 5, 2020

I absolutely loved the way that the show had been forming an idea of the plot in my head! At first, I didn't understand a thing and was way over my head. I felt like I had to know what was going on there right now or else I'd *boom* explode. But the anime was giving away the clues one by one, episode by episode, and slowly but steady I learned all about its goddamn plot & the process alone was both cursed and fascinating and that already got me; it was like *I* was solving the mystery of the show myself, like I was doing a puzzle. It was brief outline at first slowly filling in the main points that was centre of my puzzle & the mystery behind *what the heck is going on* was successfully solved! Actually, it was so simple, almost silly - the plot itself, which made it quite the view. Silly yet genius at the same time. The answer was right under the very nose of mine and I didn't knew it back then, ha! Or maybe *I* am just being silly and the plot twist was so obvious... Anyway, that alone already got me I was both applauding and crying!

The characters, all of them - well with limited exceptions - were really great each of them was having its own individuality. Seriously, they were quite hilarious even quirky and I couldn't get enough of them. One of the most badass dudes and dudettes I've ever watched (am I being dramatic?). However, I got the impression those *sadly remembered exceptions* were just decorations to move the plot & they were sort of the main characters, what a shame, being the main character and just standing there doing nothing on your own.

The music is absolutely fantastic! and to my mind it fits the atmosphere to a T which kind of got me drowned. So is the animation! I loved the design of every single thing - buildings, interior & exterior, characters & I feel like I ought to mention colors. The palette is so *stunning* it hurts - not literally though, it was really pleasant just to look at it.

Overall the anime is definitely worth watching if you're into fantasy & detective stuff and you like some twists with your plot. And! if you also like strong female characters - they’re not really the main ones, but who cares right? they’re pretty awesome!

9.5/10 animation