Ascendance of a Bookworm - Reviews

Alt title: Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen

Crua9's avatar
Nov 10, 2019

Who is this show for? This show is for someone who isn't looking for action moments, someone who wants to relax, and someone who wants to learn about books.

The overall story is of some girl who loves books, but is sent to a medieval world upon dying. Due to the time, only nobles have books and only a few can read. She is a sick girl, so this forces the story to not put too much in front of the viewer in 1 sitting. Over time, the main girl brings minor technology to the new world like shampoo. And the show uses this to build itself on.

Anyways, the reason why I marked story much lower than all the others is due to the show being so slow. I actually don't have a problem with it because it is relaxing. But, I wouldn't recommend this show for the story if it came down to it. I would however recommend it due to the slice of life aspects and seeing how she overcomes problems.

7.5/10 story
9.5/10 animation
MustangMan's avatar
Jan 3, 2020

I really didn't think I would like this Isekai at all...  However its a very heart warming twist on the genre.  I have only watched the first 5 episodes and am already hooked.  As the previews show the girl likes books, gets squashed by books, Dies under avalanche of books.... Awakes in a society where books are rare and expensive.  So far its all hinged on the premise that she either wants a book or wants to make one if she cant buy one.  Seems like a little romance might be brewing as well :)  I'm looking forward to the rest of season one just as soon as the dubs are released (weekly).

3/7/2020 I have watched all of season 1 now.  I do have to say that I found some parts slow, but entertaining non the less.  I will be watching the second season which has been cleared for dub as well.

Animatoor's avatar
Dec 26, 2019

I absolutely loved this show, it was a fairly slow storyline, and there is next to no action, but the character development and their bonds were probably what made this show so great, it was hard to predict where the show was going because the foreshadowing wasnt overly stressed. It is a very relaxing yet heart string tugging show. To the creators of this show, thank you for such a great time.

Kitty633987's avatar
Jan 6, 2020

Loved this anime the characters are so full of immotions and thers a element of surprises in every episode it keeps your attention focused and is so enjoyable to watch especially with younger children as it's easy enough for them to understand without asking questions all the time 💜💜

moonchild15's avatar
Mar 11, 2020

(spoiler free review) this was such an endearing show. Seeing the mc's journey in pursuing her goals is fun to watch. This show takes the generic isekai genre and flips it on its head. Its very well done and is definitely one that girls can appreciate cuz it has shojo charm. I would definitely rewatch this as its just so refreshing and freaking cute. I highly recommend it for peeps who r into fantasy, slice of life, shojo and want to learn something new. The beauty about this anime is that both kids and adults can enjoy it. I am looking forward to season 2.