Arte - Reviews

Ebonyslayer's avatar
Jul 1, 2020

I feel like the author was trying to be pretty optimistic given the setting in Arte. But at the same time the themes for Arte regarding women empowerment felt heavy if I'm being honest. While I honestly agree with that, in the setting provided, that is not true.

True Renaissance era life would not allow this sort of story. Unfortunately, there was less focus on the setting than on the women's power storyline. Arte was less "historical" and more "fantasy" in this sense.

The author also choose to base Arte off of a real life figure, Artemisia Gentileschi, who had a very different life in comparison. The author probably didn't want to show true to life facts for those specific reasons. Still, I would love to see a true anime adaption of Artemisia Gentileschi's life. It feels gritty in a way, like Berserk. https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/oct/05/artemisia-gentileshi-painter-beyond-caravaggio

Other than for the themes, the characters come off as boring. Even the drama surrounding Katarina ends up feeling cheap. Leo's old client Ubertino has the least screen time amongst the five characters but he makes a great contribution to Arte's development in bargaining. And since the best thing about this show is Arte's development, he manages to be a memorable character despite low screen time.

Arte wasn't a very good protagonist in regards to how she acted like an airhead and in how she responded to the sexism in the show. Putting in the hard work towards becoming an artist isn't going to change the opinions of others that easily. If that were the case, then life would feel an awful lot like a shounen manga, but this show isn't even shounen to begin with.

Even though animations are not really bad, quality of visuals for both of character models and background drawings are poor. Plus I can't say the soundtracks were good, cause most of the soundtracks are plain and boring. The irony of an anime being called Arte. I can't even say I enjoyed it as much as I wanted to. At the end of the day this wasn't a good historical anime, being one of my favorite genres.

Series I would recommend would be The Rose of Versailles and Golden Kamuy. Both have female protagonists in historical settings that feel awesome and don't have you tearing your hair out in frustration.

PangurBan's avatar
Aug 27, 2020

Fresh and entertaining. Arte reminds me of Thoru Honda from Fruits Basket. She always see positive side of live. Pure, innocent and very motivated person. She deals with reality in her own unique, lighthearted way. This anime shows the viewer difficulty of times that the women were living in.
The woman served as decoration, she was supposed to pamper the senses of connoisseurs. Women posed for paintings, sculptors, inspired poets, but their participation in the achievements of the Renaissance usually ended there.
Saint Augustine: “The woman is an inferior creature who was not made in the image and likeness of God. It is the natural order of things for a woman to serve a man. "
SHE DON'T GIVE A  but she doesn't do it in a pushy, caricatured way like feminists do today.
I really enjoyed it.

Archert's avatar
Oct 17, 2020

Anime muy respetable y que con esfuerzo se hace un huequillo entre los animes del monton bueno.

Historia. La historia es simple, Italia siglo XVI, una chica que quiere ser artista se esforzará en conseguir su sueño. La forma de contar la historia es entrenida y engancha, me fué entretenido ver todos los desafios que se le iban presentando a Arte y como los iba superando. Aún asi la historia me resultó simple, sin tomar riesgos o giros que nos sorprendiera o emocionará de alguna manera, en resumen, se me quedó algo plana. La parte de romance no fue nada acertada, pues se enfoncó de una manera muy infantil y nada relevante para historia.

Animacion. Quizás esperaba más, no digo que sea mala, todo lo contrario, pero al ser un anime de "arte" espearaba una gran animación o alguna que otra escena que despuntara y me explotara la cabeza.

Sonido. Nada mal, tiene buenas melodias y creo que calzan muy bien con los momentos dados y la epoca.

Personajes. Son algo tópicos los personajes y ninguno dejará huella en nuestros recuerdos, pero creo que Arte si que tiene algo como para recordarla, quizas no sea por el personaje en si, sino por todo lo que hace para ir cumpliendo cada dia un poco más su sueño.

Entretenimiento. Como dije me resulto entretenida y disfrutable, quizas no sea la serie más emocionante del mundo pero si que logré pasarlo bien.

En resumen, buen anime, sin más. Todo lo que hace este anime es de notable pero se me queda algo plana como para una mejor valoración.

¿La recomendaría? No a todo el mundo, pero si, si te gusta el anime.

8.1/10 story
8.2/10 animation
8.1/10 sound
7.9/10 characters
8.2/10 overall
DGFischer's avatar
Oct 3, 2020

Arte does much in evaluating the reviewer’s sense of masculinism (an explanation of what I mean by this male-blather should arrive in the comments if worthwhile; in the review itself it would be superfluous … and bothersome).  While viewing a wonderful tale of a young noble girl with so much charm, one can find it hard to fathom that she is striving to achieve what would have been impossible in her times ... to become an artist.

It’s a marvel that in these twelve episodes, we have a neat story told in three arcs 1) the bleak episodes where we are told that we are in sixteen century Florence, the height of the Renaissance, an era where it truly sucked to be a girl growing up with any dreams of being anything ... 2) the apprenticeship with Leo, who has ... well, ‘befriended’ might be the right word, maybe not.   But we have someone in Arte’s corner who will tolerate her attempts to learn the skills needed to be a respectable artist, and, more importantly, enable her to make her own way in Italian society. … 3) the time as retainer to the Falier family, both as tutor to the young, free-spirited Katherine (aka, destroyer of tutors) and family portrait painter.  Then, the conclusion … what path shall Arte choose?

So much of importance is taken up in the first arc.  We have Arte's background, allowed by her doting father to have art lessons, but on his death, her mother burns her sketches.  Marriage to wealth or the convent are Arte's options, in the opinion of her domineering mother.  Arte moves out in a desperate search for a master who would agree to apprentice her.  Cue the Mission Impossible theme, please.  Arte is rejected by all the masters of the artisan workshops, except for Leo, who hears Arte's pleadings and is reminded of a poor street urchin who sought the same opportunity long ago to train to become a painter.

The second portion is Arte's progress as an apprentice.  Here the series tries to demonstrate the difficulties Arte will have to be taken seriously as an apprentice.  She begs permission to sketch a competitor’s statuary and is refused.  To gain his hard-won permission, Arte performs a task that would exhaust two men and accomplishes it.  But the task has worn down her muscle tone that she cannot do the sketch work.  But the master admires her pluck and gives her permission to come back when it returns.  Later, she must dress as a boy to attend a dissection of a cadaver ... obviously a girl would destroy the ambiance.  She must arrange the repairs to the roof-top shack to be her quarters.  She sternly rejects the help of the boy Angelo Parker (a quaint bit of nomenclature, if you ask me), though she has the tact to apologize later and explain her reasons for hauling the lumber for this renovation project by herself.   Arte must be forever proving herself, and she cannot afford the help of any male.

Throughout the series we do meet other women who reflect the difficulty of a woman to achieve anything in these enlightened Renaissance times.  Veronica is a courtesan, which, in Leo's explanation, is nothing more than a prostitute.  Yet, she is extremely cultured and well-read, though unwilling to give her heart to anyone.  Darcia, Arte's friend, is a maid who either admires Arte for her accomplishments, or has no idea what to think of her.  Lady Sophia Falier, a woman of great beauty, is a prime example of the refined lady of the day, one who has the looks but needs the voice.  Katherine, Arte's ward, is a precocious child who wishes to cook, but realizes her noble position would refuse her this pleasant hobby.  Arte assures her that she recognizes her own love for art as a similar situation and works to assure Katherine's time in the kitchen will never be taken from her.  A girl has a right to pursue her own happiness.

The animation is pleasant, the pastel tones of scenery affecting the soft feminine style which Arte renders in her own work.  It makes for an excellent representation of the woman's touch in a world of sterner tones from the hands of the male artisans.  This is reflected in the work Arte returns to finish for an ailing Leo, a ceiling painting of a local chapel.  A project so polished that it causes Arte’s mother to marvel and reconsider her own misgivings about Arte’s artistic talents.

The series is charming in its music and especially the final symbolic closing theme.  Arte ascends a staircase as her works and portraits trickle about her.  She wishes to reach the level of her master Leo, and after twelve episodes, we stop, fully assured that Arte is well on her way.

8.8/10 overall
Reinjy's avatar
Jul 10, 2020

About the setting, it is not the most reliable picture of the history (16th century) and there's a lot of overlooked issues or how things are in that time period where the anime choose to take place. It was delivered so lightly, doesn't give the "how things are from that time" rather it is in a "fantasy" viewpoint, so it is acceptable. But about the story line of the protagonist itself, it gives a classic tale of a noble wanting to break free on their own. It's a good anime without the thrill or anticipation to turn for what next will happen, rather a good fantacy drama.

About Arte's hardship and the relationship she established along with other characters like Leo, Angelo, Veronica and soon how she was impressed by Yuri. But there's little development or beneficial transition of the characters hand in hand to Arte. Example of her way to Venice, where there Katarina plays a part for Arte (development), but it was so light almost like for sake of 8th episode to have something to look forward whether Arte will come back to Leo and continue as an apprentice or to stay to Venice. But leaves a gap almost imbalace to her supposedly choices since her relationship with Yuri or Katarina was rather little sudden or hurried.

But I like the ceiling painting. It was a memorable accomplishment for all of them. And the scene where Arte's mother show up. It's a nice story nonetheless to watch.