Aria the Scarlet Ammo

Aria the Scarlet Ammo
Add review
Deldee's avatar
Nov 1, 2019

TL;DR: This anime could have had an amazing impact, but it lost a bit of potential in its premise and became pretty average

Character

Aria the scarlet looked promising at first, with what seemed like a strong female lead character with a tsundere aspect and good action.

Sadly, this was only at first glance. As soon as Aria opened her mouth for the first time in episode 1, I realized how much I would hate the character. Until then, she looked strong willed and, let's be honest, really badass, but then she spook and I immediatly got a "crybaby" vibe. I usually wouldn't mind such thing, except I felt deceived by the main heroine in the first episode.

Fortunately, Aria wasn't the only developped female character, and I quickly took a liking to Riko who is funny, somewhat erotic and completely playful. She was clearly my favorite in this anime, and then the story came like a meteor.

Story (with some vague spoilers)

The interesting story about a world with Butei, sort of mercenaries with the police's autorithy had a really good premise, until it turned into a mess of generational revenge and fighting between a couple families. I felt like this premise could have been a lot more than it was in the end. At this point, best girl Riko became almost absent for the rest of the series and that really saddened me.

Not much to say here, it has a couple good part and is mostly good looking, but nothing special by any means.

Overall

Did I enjoy this show? Yes.

Did I feel deceived by the show? Also yes.

I felt like Aria the Scarlet Ammo could have been a lot more than it is and got lost in its way. I belive I would have enjoyed the show a lot more if I hadn't gone in with my usual expectations. This anime is neither good nor bad, which is why I gave it a 5/10 overall. Some will like it for sure, and others wont. In my case, it's a mix of both.

Nevok's avatar
Sep 6, 2018

Romania exists in this anime, so it's good.

Nice action, weird romance, unnecessary girls and Romania. what a great combo!

GhostMage1313's avatar
Aug 19, 2018

Loved it. Basically Toradora but with raging hormones and guns.

ChrisGP's avatar
Aug 5, 2018

This is a fun watch but it has flaws.

The characters are the best part.  The way the story relies on people dodging poorly considered deadly force is a turn off.  For example the Aria will do head shots at another character and if the dodge didn't occur everything would be ruined.  Same thing happens with swords and other deadly force where you know the intent to kill isn't real and the dodge is sure to happen.

This one is a romance only in that some characters like other characters but nobody dates or establishing a romantic relationship.

Angel88's avatar
Mar 27, 2018

Hint

“Pump you full of holes”

😁

Wolftreker's avatar
Feb 28, 2017

Man oh Man oh Man. I am surprised this anime has a 3.5 star rating. I am debating on lowering mine, but then again this anime has some redeaming qualities. Well where do I begin. Well I guess with it's redeming qualities. I like the overall plot about these Bunti that are like police detectives. Though the more I think about it they might as well be mercenaries. Point being that is the only reason it is not below a 2.5 was that one saving grace. Seriosly though, I think Bungo Stray Dogs is a much better anime for this same idea. Oh well. Moving on. How about I get to the bad parts of this anime. How about this for a start, the main character's powers come when he gets a boner...... if you think I'm kidding. I hate to inform you I'm not. *sigh* That only the tip of thte iceburg of this anime's problem. At one point this went from being a serious anime about detecticves that are mercinaries to one that has Dracula? REEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLYYYY!!! I can't take this seriously. Just overall the plot is really stupid and I don't know how I suffered through all 12 episodes. I think my IQ went down from watching this anime.

whodofknown's avatar
May 20, 2016

This is a unique story:n Male protagonist who has a secret or awesome power and is surrounded by girls... yeah.

The plost seemed interesting enough. A teenage boy who gained amazing abilities when aroused through some comedic accidents. These moments didn't seem to come up as much as it should of and made the fighting scenes less enjoyable because he didn't go into "badass mode." When Aria's backstory was introduced, I thought "man this anime can be really good."

It wasn't. They had a great oppurtunity to develop not only the story but the characters as well. Instead we got a half-assed story with overused characterisitcs in our protagonists.

Kinji lacked diversity and remained a static character who was oblivious enough to not stop the constant interest (read as: getting hit on, sexual harrassment) from the girls surrounding him. It continuingly got annoying how often the girls started fighting over him without striaght out admitting their love (except for Shirayuki who creeped me out how obsessive she was). He did nothng for that predicament nor did anything to move the story forward.

Aria. First episode, she came off as badass, whooo! Very next episode, she got annoying. She literally would not shut up. Listen when other's talk to you sweety.  Also, she needs better threats. "I'm going to pump you full of holes," gets old. Specially when you don't follow through. She got less annoying when I learned about her back story.

Overall, I was disappointed.Honestly, I shouldn't of expected too much since it has the same trope as many other animes that I don't particularly like as well. (Asterisk War, Rakudai Kishi no Calvary, Hundred, etc)

JVAnimeReviews's avatar
Feb 13, 2016

For a video review, check out my Youtube channel. Link on my profile page.

This is part 1 of a two part review of the Hidan no Aria franchise.

Positive

*Now the first thing I liked in Hidan no Aria was our main male character Kinji and more specifically when he entered Hysteria Mode. When he wasn’t into his special mode, he was a very stereotypical male character but when he entered Hysteria Mode he transformed into a badass and you all know from previous reviews that badasses belong to my favorite kind of male characters. Now about that being stereotypical I do have some more things to say later on because Kinji wasn’t the only character that was stereotypical.

*Next up was the music, I really liked the rock music that Hidan no Aria used in its opening and ending. Apart from classical music I can definitely appreciate some good rock songs because it always pumped me up for the episode that was to come.

*And as a last positive point: action is the main focus of this anime and it pulled it off quite well. The whole secret agent thing was well executed and the action scenes that came with it did the anime good. So I liked the overall premise and story that Hidan no Aria had.

Negative

*Now before I mentioned that the non-aroused Kinji was kind of stereotypical but in fact the whole anime was stereotypical. The used comedy was really stereotypical with moments that it went more towards the ecchi comedy which I’ve seen plenty of times before. But where I noticed the stereotypicalness the most was in the characters.

Let’s start with our main female character Aria. She’s a textbook tsundure: small, flat, twin tails, aggressive and brute but still easily flustered. You can’t go more tsundere than Aria. Than there was Kinji’s childhood friend Shirayuki. Again everything about her was stereotypical: she’s a childhood friend that’s in love with the main male and she becomes a yandere when another girl shows interest in the main male. And the fact that she’s than this kind of priestess completed the whole ‘childhood friend’ picture.

So we have a tsundere, a yandere than we still need a kuudere and guess what: we have one in Hidan no Aria in the form of Reki. A quiet, introvert girl whose one hell of a sniper. Reki was definitely my favorite character of the anime but also she was very stereotypical.

*Next negative point was the end fight or the boss fight if you will at the end of the anime. I found that to be quite anticlimactic, I expected a lot more from the final battle of an action anime but the final villain gets defeated really fast and quite easily so that was disappointing.

*Which brings me almost instantly at my last negative point which is that the story of Hidan no Aria is far from finished at the end of the anime. The anime only covers 2 light novels while there are now about 20 of those. I would have definitely liked to see a second season of Hidan no Aria but unfortunately we got kind of a shitty spin-off instead but more about that in a minute.

Conclusion

So as a conclusion, despite being stereotypical in a lot of aspects, I still enjoyed Hidan no Aria. It was an action packed anime which unfortunately didn’t end on a high note. And that stereotypicalness didn’t annoy me to much. So that’s why I’m going to rate Hidan no Aria at 3,5 stars. One day I might read the light novels to see how the story progresses after the anime. One day if I find the time to do it.

KaSiGi's avatar
May 3, 2015

This show is full of mysteries and conspiracies, with many epic moments and big story twists! (OP) MC. You should watch!!!

reinhart's avatar
Feb 10, 2015

was a generally good anime with good characters despite personally hating some of

them, great soundtrack animation was also a big part to making the anime great having good voice

actors also helped with the feel of the anime (also containing my favourite Anime Voice Actress ;P )

however despite the overall goodnees and the nice flow of the story, the ending felt rather

anticlimactic due to nothing happening between the main characters, no love in this story. (ps the special episode is just stupid laughs and scary, FUCKING SCARY MAN referencing a specific japanese horror film)

9.5/10 story
8.5/10 characters
TheBlueKing44's avatar
Jun 18, 2013

There are some things in anime I really don't like or find quite a nucense. However I am trying to watch more shows outside of my action/adventure safe zone of anime. I have never much been a fan of the token tsundere characters, however I can see past my dislike if the character is good or has other good qualities. Some shows however, win me over when I just don't think about it and just have fun with it. Aria isnt loved by everyone but I myself didn't take the show to seriously and liked it.

Aria started off interesting enough with a Ken being held up at gunpoint by the assassin killer and the first episode had a funny twist by having his "Histeria" mode activate when he gets horny, which I found funny. The first few episodes had a similer plot and slowely grow into a more concise story. I didn't like that this show was only 12 episodes though. The issue with it is the fact they dont have time to flesh out the other characters that form the supporting cast. Also the length sorta hurts the last episode because the final fight sorta happens rather quickly and ends not long after it begins.

Another thing I want to bring up was the humor. I felt this show had a fair amount of humor, again if you keep your expectations lower then normal. Also I found some humor in the times fanservice is used in this show.

Overall: I enjoyed this show, simpley for the fact it was fun to watch cuz I didn't take it too seriously and enjoyed the action sequences. I also want to give a nod to the dub cast for doing a pretty good job on the characters, even if they were typical sterotypes. Its a average show that you can watch quickly. I reccommend it if you don't mind a bit of fanservice and fair amount of humor with your action and mini harem.

6.5/10 characters
Animage's avatar
May 15, 2013

Hidan no Aria is full of comedy, mystery, action and just a touch of fluff. I started watching it beacause it's a Tsundere (which it had plenty of) but I ended up getting sucked into the story completely! With each episode Aria and Kinji get closer to finding out who the REAL bad guy/gal is. It's a thrilling chase! At the same time the show delivers some hilarious and awkward moments (such as any anime should). This show is definetly worth watching if you're looking for some Tsundere action!

-A

7.5/10 sound
8.5/10 characters
MagicalWay's avatar
Aug 29, 2012

There are times when I am forced to doubt my own taste. Aria the Scarlet Ammo is widely hated (even by its own subbers), and I can see why. The plot is telegraphed, the unoriginality is staggering, and the series seems to revel in its implausibility. And I loved every minute of it.

The opening episode makes an effort to be clever and self-aware, talking about the implausibility of its clichéd beginning (a girl falling from the sky) - but by now this itself is just another cliché. From there the plot advances at a reasonable pace, with a shadowy organization making attacks on our heroes and their classmates. But in truth there's little logic to the choice of targets, and one early episode seems to leave several dangling threads which are never picked up. The second half is better, with a more tightly directed arc sweeping around to a fitting conclusion.

In fairness Aria is more about the character relationships than the plot, and here it remains firmly on course. Male lead Toyama's interaction with the titular Aria is conventional to a fault - indeed, they hit every tsundere cliché in the book. With every show I watch in this genre I find myself more appreciative of Toradora, which managed to portray tsundere-ish behaviour but had a realistic take on the negative consequences of it. Aria goes for cheap laughs over realism every time, and there's only so many times a girl attacing an innocent guy for an imagined slight will amuse. Even so, the relationship has its moments of tenderness - though Aria has all the subtlety of a brick in delivering them - and there's some charm to be found in watching it develop. The emergence of another character as a kind-of-but-not-really rival for Toyama's affections is similarly charming but conventional. The one innovation is Toyama's "Hysteria Mode" - when aroused, he turns fantastically competent but also insufferably smug (in a way the ladies swoon for, but he himself hates). It sounds - and is - ridiculous, but it provides a great way to make combined romance/action scenes actually make sense. And the silliness barely registers against Aria's general background.

Aria seems at first to revel in piling absurdity on absurdity. A school for police-types makes some sense; making their uniforms bulletproof is a good trick if you can do it, but giving minor characters psychic powers seems entirely gratuitous (they're not even relevant to the main plot). However, the ending makes up for a lot of this; it brings together all the sillinesses of the previous episodes and not a jot more, allowing a really satisfying sense of closure. Sadly we can't say the same for the character subplots; while Toyama/Aria concludes as such things must, an earlier love rival seems to have been simply dropped. It's a disappointing level of disorganization in a series this short, along with the aforementioned dangling character plot.

I'd like to say the series would be better if it dropped both characters from early episodes, giving more time to focus on characterization of the lead three. But in truth each is so utterly archetypal that I don't think there's any more depth to reveal. So perhaps Aria is right to have what are practically filler episodes, and certainly they never bothered me while I was watching them.

Action is the other important element of Aria, and here it goes from good but depressingly conventional to simply good. The series deserves praise for keeping its gunfights interesting and varied, something much harder than the same task for swordfights. But with good use of location, team balance and the occasional supernatural power, Aria pulls it off beautifully. The series can also boast a fantastic opening tune, and very good music generally, with some nice recurring motifs around the fight dynamics. General animation is perfectly decent, if nothing special by modern standards, and voice acting was generally convincing - though Aria's absurdly high-pitched sound seems a bit cheap.

So: all-round good presentation, wayward plot and setting salvaged by a very elegant conclusion. Woefully stereotyped characters, with no surprises anywhere in their interactions. I can't fault anyone for hating Aria the Scarlet Ammo, given the breathtaking unoriginality of the character-driven side of its story. Nor can I in good conscience recommend it, given what the reaction elsewhere has been. But personally I found it the most enjoyable show of its season (notwithstanding the ongoing Steins;Gate).

Overall Rating: (7.8/10)

5.8/10 overall
Komirai's avatar
Aug 27, 2012

I really am trying to not become one of those cynical anime watchers who think the best has already come and never will again, but you’re really trying my resolve this year Japan. Hidan no Aria was a show that for whatever reason I had a great deal of excitement and anticipation for. I was won over by the early pre-production artwork without knowing really anything at all about what it was going to be about or the source materials. When I learned the seiyuu cast and the plot synopsis I was pretty sure what I was going to be in store for. In that sense I probably shouldn't have been disappointed at all.

What Hidan no Aria gives us as a premise is about as generic and played as it comes. A high school boy... sigh why is it I always have to start it with that? Anyway he goes to Butai High School, a place where Japan teaches its youngsters to be assassins, thieves, and super powered shrine maidens. It’s like any other anime high school except the students all carry guns and katanas. No seriously it’s just like every other high school. So from there our hero, Kinji, suitably useless and powerless Japanese male gets involved right off the bat with the more dangerous female classmates who either want his body or him dead or more often both. Of course Kinji is able to tap into a hidden power of his own called "Hysteria Mode" which he enters from being sexually aroused. Really I'm serious here. I can't make this stuff up. Further nonsense ensues from this point and I honestly couldn’t make heads or tails of any of it from the beginning.

As with most anime of this type it likes to throw out tons of nonsensical and contradictory terminology and other assorted garbage. While in the beginning it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch it really starts to take a turn for the bizarre after a few episodes. That’s when we start having characters assigned names from other fictional and totally unrelated content. Such as Sherlock Holmes, Lupin IV, Jeane of Arc, and Dracula? It’s a mishmash of themes that have absolutely nothing in common with each other and make no sense when even applied to the story. It’s almost like the author of the story just picked random names from a library shelf and jammed them into his story as if they applied some sort of deeper meaning to it. The names don’t even have any bearing on how the characters act either. Jeane of Arc has ice powers, Dracula is a werewolf, and Holmes is a gun totting, dual katana wielding loli. Wuh? This only further confuses an already pointless and directionless story which doesn't seem to stick to one theme for more than a few episodes before meandering off into another direction. All in all it’s bad... REALLY BAD. Perhaps the worst excuse for a story I have seen in anything to date.

That brings us to the characters which really don’t far much better. Our hero Kinji is barely worth mentioning. Seriously when are they going to just stop giving the guys in anime names or even bother drawing on faces on them anymore? Just go ahead and give in to the otaku pervs and just complete the fantasy by having replacing them with faceless stick figures to allow them to complete their 2D on screen fantasy.

As for the girls the results are bad, even for a harem. Other than Aria the other girls are pretty much unmentionable. Aria is your standard loli tsundere. She says all of the things you would expect of her archetype and is performed brilliant by the undisputed seiyuu queen of this type, Rie Kugimiya. As much of a completely uninspired character or even acting performance that makes Aria up, it is Kugimiya that makes this series even remotely palatable to watch. Sure we have seen her do this role dozens of times before but I for one really never grow tired of it. In that sense it is a thoroughly Kugimiya type performance that is right in her wheel house and one that she completely hits out of the park. The real question is how many people are, unlike me, totally sick and tired of it?

J.C. Staff is usually pretty solid with their animation and production values and that doesn't really change here. But a lot like Kugimiya, I suspect a great many viewers are becoming weary of seeing the same damn thing over and over again. It would be nice to see them try to stretch themselves sometimes and be unafraid to take some risks. The one thing that really did stand out to me was how utterly silly the various girls hid their weapons. Take Aria, who is a tiny girl with an impossibly short skirt yet somehow manages to hid 2 enormous pistols under it and yet not be constantly seen when she is not drawing them. In addition to the even more ridiculous dual katanas she hides, under her blouse. It seems Aria's clothes are a lot like Doctor Who's TARDIS: bigger inside than it appears from the outside. Not that this is the first time anime has played with physics before but this really seemed to stretch the realm of believability.

From an acting and sound standpoint, Hidan no Aria is very good. As mentioned I think Rie Kugimiya was in her element and delivered a very enjoyable performance. The rest of the cast played their parts as expected. The music was pretty exciting and good. I especially enjoyed May'n Scarlet Ballet.

I actually found a great amount of this series to be amusing, mostly because I am a Kugimiya fangirl. As nonsensical and clichéd as everything about this anime was there was plenty of amusement to be found in watching the characters act this way. But at the same time I am fully aware that pretty much everything else about this show is terrible. For that reason I can’t recommend it to anyone.

4.8/10 overall
bran189's avatar
Feb 11, 2012

Hidan no Aria had the build up and potential for an exciting storyline but unfortunatly feels very rushed towards the end of the series, missing out information that was early presented in the series. Besides the shortness of the series it does provided interesting characters will good historical backgrounds.

ProjectBlackRai's avatar
Nov 5, 2011

I'm always amused when I stumble across an anime by accident and it happens to be quite good. This was most certainly the case when I found Hidan no Aria. It has a little mix of everythig from across almost all genres. There's comedy, action, adventure, romace, a budding harem, etc. What made this one interesting is that it seemed to incorporate history's most famous, and notorious, characters and gave them a common path. I would rather not give anything away here but it's definitely worth watching. I'm not one of those people who will rant and rave in a long litany of pros/cons. It's something you have to see for yourself.

Looking at past reviews, they all contain a bit of bias, some more than others. My rating is based on the fact that I enjoy the mix of genres that are depicted here. If you're someone who doesn't enjoy this conglomeration of subjects, then I wouldn't watch it. That is all I have to say on the sbject.

As always, my overall score is an average of all sub-scores for each catagory.

Story - 8/10

The story was definitely well thought out. Plot, events, and sequences are all lines up quite nicely and flow together as they should. I would have liked to see more background story on the main characters but that's not a big deal. I believe this will be resolved should there be a second season.

Animation - 8/10

The series was well animated, though all the females have those realy big eyes. Again, that's not such a big deal in the grand scheme of things since the rest of the elements were done quite well. This kind of quality is par for the course for J.C. Staff work.

Sound - 8/10

There isn't much to say here. The sound fit the events and was well done. The OP/ED seemed to fit the nature of the series. I would have liked to have seen a little more dynamic music but that's just personal opinion.

Characters - 8/10

The characters were certainly unique. Their personalities fit their roles and their interactions were appropriate for the same. As for development, they seemed to not change too much overall but they did evolve over time from when you first meet them in episode 1. Part of the reason for this, I believe, is that this was done intentionally.

Overall - 8/10

This was a great seried overall. I have already given my feelings on it at the beginning but I would like to say this: There better be a second season or it's going to rain blood over J.C. Staff. >.<

Elof's avatar
Jul 15, 2011

STORY:

A 5 on story is being generous for this anime. Right from the start, there seems to be very little plot at all. The setting is generic and undetailed, comprising mostly of about ten seconds of effort to inform the reader of the following: There is an international policing organization known as Butei, which has the authority to supercede both local and government agencies, and our characters attend a high school which trains them to be agents. Setup done, commence action. Someone is targeting the Butei students, who must survive, protect their friends, and attempt to figure out the criminal's identity - and that's about as detailed as the plot gets, for quite a few episodes.

I remember reading once in Bakuman that you can't just throw together a bunch of popular hooks and devices and expect a manga (or in this case, light novel / manga / anime) to be successful. Obviously, the people behind Hidan no Aria never received such advice. After a few episodes they attempt to make things more interesting by adding in some of those typical devices, but it quickly turns into overload. First they cover the tsundere heroine who refuses to acknowledge her feelings for the hero. Next, enter the rival, a classmate who also likes him. . . and also happens to cover the 'childhood friend who is now developing feelings' character at the same time. Meanwhile, all of this is taking place in a very stereotypical high school student atmosphere. Which is also a special academy. Finally, as if we didn't have enough cliches thrown in, some of the students are given special powers (telekenesis, manipulation of ice and fire, etc). As I said, overload.

Perhaps the biggest downfall of this series is its inability to decide exactly what it wants to be, or to remain consistent from start to finish. For example, yet another of the hooks sprinkled throughout is the inclusion of ecchi scenes; however, the portrayal of them changes drastically. Early on, the animation very blatantly refuses to show so much as a panty-line, even when skirts are being blown all over by the action. Later (probably in an attempt to attract viewers after so much failure), a scene involves a whole classroom full of girls stripping, followed by a popular secondary character conducting an entire chase scene in her underwear. The plot undergoes just as drastic a change, beginning as 'we need to solve crimes and become better agents,' moving to 'we need to track down major theives around the planet to clear my mother's name,' and ending with 'we must look further into the bloodlines of major characters who are descended from important historical figures.' The genre itself changes from detective action to supernatural to straight-out fantasy - their final opponent turns out to be the immortal Count Dracula. I mean, seriously? In the end, the show tries to do and be so many different things that it doesn't end up developing or succeeding at any of them.

CHARACTERS:

The characters are something of a paradox for me: they're so obviously stereotypical, ripped off from other series, and show little development, that I want to hate them, but for some reason they have enough individual appeal that I want to root for them. By ripped off, I mean obviously developed to compete with and emulate Gosick. A mostly-indifferent boy is paired up with a tiny, cute, super-intelligent and capable girl; they solve crimes together, get more action than they bargained for, and develop a bond along the way; she has a noble European father and a foreign mother who is disgraced and imprisoned. . . the parallels are numerous and detailed. The way things play out and the characters mature is a bit different, but there is very little originality in their conception. The secondary characters are pretty stereotypical, and also drawn from many different genres, including typical high school pranksters, an ancient temple priestess, and a military-level sniper.

The only thing fresh and new is the ancestry ascribed to the primary characters. Each of them is the descendant of a historical figure, and the early examples include Sherlock Holmes, famous French thief Lupin, and Jeanne d'Arc. The supernatural powers of these bloodlines are passed down through the ages, culminating in the current generation and affecting the events of Hidan no Aria. On the other hand, this gimmick goes from underplayed to overdone in a hurry, and starts to feel ridiculous, especially considering the setting into which it was added.

ANIMATION AND SOUND:

Technically, the anime is pretty well done. The animation is beautiful, done in a modern style that I really like (which is another thing it has in common with Gosick). It suits the characters well and is capable of portraying the action sequences without losing any detail. The sound effects are realistic and the music, while nothing special, is decent and well-matched to the visuals. The voice acting is pretty average, with no real flaws but also a pretty limited emotional range.

OVERALL:

Despite all its problems, Hidan no Aria is a very fun show, and was a nice change of pace from the more serious stories I've been watching lately. The average audio and superb visual aspects manage to balance out the severely lacking story and glaring inconsistencies, at least long enough to make it through all 12 episodes. If it were any longer, I might not have bothered finishing, but as it is, it's worth a casual watching through.

Etue's avatar
Jul 1, 2011

Hidan no Aria or Aria the Scarlet Ammo, this review contains spoilers

The story in Hidan no Aria revolves around Aria and Kinji in a school for special law enforcers or vigilantes. The first episode sets the premise of the first so called arc by having Kinji get into trouble only to be saved by Aria predictably. Kinji has a special ability which is that when he is turned on he goes into superhuman mental state that basically transforms him into someone capable of being better than Aria on every front. Aria herself is of course a high ranked vigilante capable of beating basically everyone else in a fair fight.

Now to get some random character connections in there.

A friend of Kinji turns out to be the great enemy and Aria is related in blood to Sherlock Homes, while the enemy is Cherlock Homes' enemies ancestor. The next villain is related to Joan of arc and the last one is of course a vampire. All of Aria's enemies have superhuman abilities which they fight with. This is as horribly forced as it sounds, the character connections serve as an attempt to provide depth where there is none and for people that know Sherlock Homes and who Joan of arc where it's simply annoying in my eyes, it was a horrible idea.

Aria is your cut and paste loli tsundere who screams pervert in any instance she is touch in any situation. This is a running joke in the series, enjoy it. Kinji is a pessimist for the first part but afterward tags along like the good dog that he is. Shirayuki is a yandere who possesses little freedom of her own but still finds time to fall/be in love with Kinji and they of course have backstory with one other. Riko is a joyous psychopath and who I believe to be the most enjoyable character out of the bunch, She's far from shy in anything she does and her mind is completely fractionated.

Animation:

I'm not an expert on animation, but I'll say that I haven't found any worth to mention graphical flaws in hidan no aria. The battles aren't extremely energetic, though so I can't give it all point on that front.

Sound.

If you can bare with Aria having the standard Loli Tsundere voice actor then the sound is okay. The opening theme is nothing special and neither is the ending but both are of good enough quality to at least bother to watch once.

Otonashikun's avatar
Jun 20, 2011

Overall, Id have to say I was impressed enough with this anime to actually reply by making a review. The story line itself was pretty much a team vs team based storyline with historic references along with humor, hot loli chicks (dont judge me o.o) and gun blazing, super powered sword slicing action. Id have to say I am very impressed with the animations, although they do sheen quite a few things that is kind of unncessisary, I still liked the show, and its not too much of a distraction. As for the gun battles, they are kinda basic, cowboy bebop kind of feel (with less bullets) they could put more attention on the guns themselves with more flash to put more focus on the single shots, but otherwise I didnt see any issues with it. The characters are all quite humorous, and I can definitely see this anime being something a lot of fanbase could follow.