Arata the Legend - Reviews

Alt title: Arata Kangatari

LailanD's avatar
Mar 4, 2021

Lame. Not worthy of time (not for me at least). The story was quite interesting, but, that idiot female mc, kotoha, ruined the anime for me! I hated how she acted clingy towards that b*stard arata. I don't know why, but i like him; he's kinda cute and i like to see him with other bishounen, but... ugh, I just hate, hate her a lot. Since I became a fujoshi, I started hating idiot female characters. But there are some who ARE clingy and too naive. Hmph.

Anyways, last words, words...

DON'T WATCH THIS TRASH GO WATCH ANOTHER GOOD GOOD ISEKAI ANIME IF YOU LIKE ISEKAI. another...

DON'T WATCH THIS IF YOU WERE HERE FOR BL OR YAOI, whatever. Because you're just gonna end up disappointed like me. meh. I didn't complete this anime yet but i'm just reviewing it already cuz i'm too pissed. i didn't find the BL, THE MOST WANTED THING I CAM HERE FOR!. However, My suggestions would probably only work for a few fujoshis who only have an interest in bl pairs and loath straight couples, then I highly suggest not to watch it.

Overall, I'm not insulting this anime but just a bit sharing my disdains... i couldn't keep up that stupid, ugly, kotoha and arata romance... ew.

triviper's avatar
Jul 2, 2014

Spring 2013 Anime Review - Arata Kangatari
- potential, but too cliche
- voice acting isn't bad, soundtrack overall is good
- really wish this got more money poured into, or a better director
- "annoying misunderstanding issue"
- 2 pairs of rival dualism is kinda cool
- Looks like Naruto has made eye trading a "thing" now -.- I do however like how the iris changes back
- Kadowaki broke out of the water prison so late when the spell released itself so long before
- LOL wtf, Kotoha climbed the fissure/mountain without help or gear np to hug Arata and so quickly too. Big plot hole.
- Got some minor InuYasha-level eye candy out of the show at least. Kadowaki's reasoning to be the villain is almost as bad as Sasuke's though...
- The climatic ending was like 5 minutes of footage haha…
- If there is another season, I can see it being better but still not all that great...

————————————————————————————————

UPDATE: Anime-Planet has removed the Blog feature where this post was originally published on March 23, 2014. I pulled the scores from my ratings, although this is NOT a formal review. Think of it more as “thoughts on…<anime title>”. I wrote my thoughts out as I progressed through the series, so contradictions may occur as my opinion shifts. To shorten the post I took excerpts from the original. Sorry for any inconvenience and please leave your thoughts below! :)

2013 Spring Anime Reviews:

• Attack on Titan - http://www.anime-planet.com/users/triviper/reviews/14071
  • Gargantia - http://www.anime-planet.com/users/triviper/reviews/14072
  • The Flowers of Evil - http://www.anime-planet.com/users/triviper/reviews/14073
  • Arata the Legend - http://www.anime-planet.com/users/triviper/reviews/14074
  • Crime Edge - http://www.anime-planet.com/users/triviper/reviews/14080
  • Valvrave S1 - http://www.anime-planet.com/users/triviper/reviews/14081
tennis101101's avatar
Nov 26, 2013

This was a fairly good anime. I like this anime because it had a good story line to it. What confused me was that the one main character going back in time. However it is still really good. I like the animation of the anime because it is good. This anime also had good setup of the coflicts, however the resolutions might have need just a little more work to them. The characters of this anime had very good details to them as well as the scenary. I like the music in this anime because the songs did not over power the voices of the characters. I also like the voices of some of the characters. The characters of this anime where well developed. There was also good "relationship" development between some of the characters.

6.5/10 sound
Thrawn's avatar
Sep 1, 2013

Story: I don't like this show so I'll throw in as much tastefully foul language and references to male private parts as possible while remaining my usually coherent self. Now, it isn't solely due to the pussy protagonist who is as manly as a sack of air and candy bar wrappers or the fact that I couldn't give a rat's ass about what was going on or how his arch nemesis Douchefuck is a complete and utter douchebag, not all of those but all are part of the many, many problems of this cliched shitstorm.

I guess I better start off somewhere, as in the premise. I'll be spoiling some shit, but it's kinda predictable shit. Really predictable shit. Me and Hasse were watching it together because misery loves company and we could predict most of the shit that would happen because holy balls it follows so many rules in the book. Contrived coincidences, bad sense of time later on, lack of suspense and suspension of disbelief. Predictable plot progression, some completely dumbshit moments that are a punch to the balls because they are not only coincidental but the fuck man. It sometimes gets so aggrivatingly stupid that it hurts.

Premise, right. Wussy guy is bullied by this guy he used to run with. Doucheguy, as I've mentioned before. Doucheguy does some shit to his friend who is a total tool and deserves to be punched repeatedly in the face, regardless if he wears glasses or not. This friend, he's not really a friend because he's a complete and utter bitch. So, we feel bad for Arata, and I really don't remember what happened because who pays attention to that shit? Plot? Fuck that. He switches places with this guy who happens to share the same name and they go to the other's respective worlds. The rest of the premise deals with... this historical history crap, all sorts of... words and shit. I don't do that. Basically shit just got real in Fantasy World and Wussy Arata is tasked to save it because everybody else is either a dick, a regular human or a total douchewad. Or Fabulous, I'll get to him later.

I didn't really explain anything much but the premise is nothing special. It progresses nicely for the first few episodes or in random spurts but quickly goes to shit. All sorts of dumb fucking shit starts to happen and people actually trust this complete and utter pansy ass bitch Arata to save the world and shit. And don't get me started on the shit that happens later. Predictable, cliche, stupid, contrived, a total dick punch move, horrid lack of empathy, irregular developments or lack thereof, dropped plot points and I really didn't give two shits before long. My mind even fuzzed over some of the dialogues and speeches.

Punches were made, and half of them were towards myself.

Animation: First off, there's this seriously fabulous, gorgeous guy later on. You'll recognize him by how fab he looks. And his weapon. Guy's just amazing, and his city? Faaaaaabulous~ Everybody else is a pig compared to him. Stupid clothing design because who wears a sleeve detached from the shirt? It's like Tidus and his half shorts. And White Hair doesn't even wear a shirt, only a vest to show them abs off. But shoulder/arm pit fetish abound, especially with Purple. That has nothing to do with anything but I really shouldn't give too much of a damn about what goofy clothes foreign worlds wear.

What I should is the special effects, or the shitty ass fire effects. Which were shit. Just plain atrocious, completely terrible. Water magic is no better but I guess actually is, hard to do worse than that fire. Except for Arata's light magic holy sparkles of golden showering. It looks bad, kinda funny at times and isn't a good use of the budget. But the dark magic, that was entertaining. Purple is a good evil colour. The character designs range from fabulous to generic to crap to I got nothing.

And points to the EP's beings clawing up at the hole where the sun shines. Artistic and stuff. Totally irrelevant though because it has nothing to do with the plot.

Sound: OP? So-so. EP 2? Crap compared to EP 1. EP 1, that's my shit right there. That's my fucking shit because that shit fucking rocked. Damn good stuff that made everything else look like shit and thus, BGM is serviceable and voices aren't outstanding, not that I can remember them or anything.

Characters: Oh god. Not again... Captain Fabulous, he's great. Best character of this shitfest. And Maid, she's awesome. Adorably clumsy and honest. There's also Arabian Prince, Green, and Hephaestus who is a forger. I only remember Arata (Wussbag) and Arata 2 (Other Arata) and no other names, Shizou might be one but I don't know who. Names aren't important. A lot of them aren't even likable, some of them not even memorable. Hell, one time I was surprised at this total tool just stepping up and saying some shit because I literally forgot he was there. I actually forgot he was there two minutes ago. The fuck kind of characterization is this? Characterizashit is what.

Arata, he's a wuss. Total nancy boy. I can rage about his candy assiness for a paragraph without delving into his power of defensive light because he's too much of a pussy to get some offensive magic to lay the beatdown on some bitches but you know I hate him. There's also the fact that development for other characters are either irregular, crap or they're just such douchebags that you don't give a shit about it. I'm glaring at you doucheguy.

TL:DR, I didn't give a shit outside of a few, a lot of them minors.

Overall: To sum up, it's fucking shit. Shit progression, fucking shit characters for the most part, cliche storm, shit storm, bad effects, lack of suspense and excitement in general and I didn't enjoy myself watching it. Bet it gets another season.

2.5/10 story
3.5/10 animation
2.5/10 overall
Etue's avatar
Jul 31, 2013

Arata Kangatari is an anime based on a manga. It's a story about two boys both named Arata switching from worlds. One of which lives in a fantasy themed realm while the other lives in current day japan. It is a story about emotional struggles of teenagers and drawing comparisons between high-school experienced and things that happen in fantasy. You have reached this review and already know it's final score. It indeed is a monstrosity, It indeed is plain simply bad.

Hinohara is a boy from Japan who ends up in a mirror realm full of fantasy and magical powers. His other self send to his realm in his stead at the same time. Great troubles have been seemingly caused by his other self before he arrival. However through his newly acquired female companion he is certain that all is not  as it seems. As he gains the ability to aid this world whilst facing of hostile forces he struggles with his past drawing comparisons of murder, betrayal and death with being pestered at school over a misunderstanding.

His grant quest amounts to resqueing a childish empress type character in distress using consistently more questionable powerups. The means of gaining more power in this anime with the protagonist being supposedly "good and moral" make it even more questionable. The method of powering up is apparently the same for everyone and this everyone's powerups are inhumane and immoral.

Drawing from that, the ultimate threat in the end comes from another character that has been heavily implied to be important throughout the series and it comes as no surprise in the end of course due to the story lacking surprising elements in the plot all together.

Animation:

The animation is for the most part fluid while the art design is painfully generic with very little incorperation of detail. The few fighting scenes that happen are short and for the most part surprisingly untintesting mostly resulting in ''beam spam'' type of fighting and being resolved as quickly as possible. This anime prefers talking heads over action.

Sound:

The opening like the animation retains a generic feel to it while the ending theme is somewhat surprisngly dark for this anime. It is not unfitting in all episodes but it mostly feels like something that would evoke laughter than be taking seriously in any extent. It truly feels misplaced in most episodes as the anime could be called campy in some peoples eyes for certain.

Okay, there are two characters in this anime that do not cause innocent children to cry throughout most of it's run. Sadly only one has a personality and the other hardly shows up. Saying that, let's begin with our great male lead, HINOHARA Arata the boy who got trapped in a fantasy world away from Japan. His believes are in first somewhat questionable. He relates to people by comparing his own experiences with theirs, the problems is is that his aren't like theirs at all but everyone acts like they are. His lack of self confidence never really amounts to anything but whining while his apparent morals make everyone like him, his abilities are also simply overpowered as soon as he gains them.

KOTOHA while annoying in terms of personality doesn't do anything wrong for most of the story, however through the last two episodes she manages to completely fall apart as a character firmly planting her into the generic love interest role.

ARATA #2 hardly shows up, he's likable somewhat. The other two companions end up doing nothing and being of even less use to the story.

This seasons final boss was the most overdramatic simpleton cliché mothersboy I have ever witnessed in anime and thank god that he was stupid enough to do ''that'' in the end.

KADOWAKI manages to get the price of being the most consistently badly written villain in the series, or I would say that it the final boss' didn't have a piss poor reason for his motivations as well. I will make it no surprise that KADOWAKI's entire reason to hate HINOHARA is based on blatant assumptions which are never confirmed or denied in this series run.

0.5/10 characters