Arakawa Under the Bridge - Reviews

babyeinstein12's avatar
Dec 10, 2010

Arakawa under the Bridge may look like an anime for potheads (what with the kappa costume, star mask, and nun with a gun, among other things), but truthfully it’s just a thirteen-episode-long plate of sashimi: it takes a little getting used to, but ends up being absolutely delicious. Especially for me, having just watched the sour Serial Experiments Lain, this land of perpetual sunshine under the bridge was a joy to behold.

The anime follows business prodigy Kou Ichinomiya as he attempts to live with an eccentric community under the Arakawa Bridge. As far as story goes, that’s pretty much it; it’s a narrative progression that the viewer reacts to rather than follows. Episodes range from decent to nearly brilliant, but one’s enjoyment for the show will not wane if he remembers this cardinal rule of episodic anime: Watch, don’t wait. Here is a train ride through a park, but look elsewhere if you’re waiting to take off on a jet plane.

And under the bridge lies a very weird park indeed. This embankment of overgrown grass, with Tokyo skyscrapers floating in the backdrop as if on a different plane of existence, becomes the universe. People walk among the grass in their various costumes and with their ignorance and ridiculous quirks, living totally in the present. Kou, choked by the expectations of society, lands into this enclave untainted by time and ambition, and weird things happen. Indeed, the humor of this show is what fresh raw fish would be to an incubated Coloradoan: It flails around and goes crazy, and we aren't quite sure whether to burst into laughter or gape in WTF-ery. Watching Kou trying to deal with these people becomes a deliciously mindboggling affair; we surface from an episode and the world is suddenly a stranger place.

But amidst Kou's numerous face-palms and exasperated tantrums, he begins to change. His driven, independent, withered heart begins to realize that there are things in this world that are meant to be shared. Here lies the beautiful continuity that gives the anime its shape. Each episode is broken into few-minute segments, but one still feels a sense of overall direction as Kou starts coming to terms with not only the community but with what the community represents. Hidden among the moments of hilarity and bemusement are moments of bejeweled self-reflection. One line could leave you giggling like a madman and then the show takes something out of its sleeve that silences you instantly with its truth. Alternately, a line could make your heart ache and then someone pulls out a zinger that has you double-taking in delighted disbelief. No scene is wasted. It is a bipolarity that the anime has managed to synthesize into a palatable whole.

Unfortunately Arakawa under the Bridge does not succeed as well with Kou and Nino's romantic subplot. It makes obvious attempts to romanticize their relationship, and while the attempts are not tasteless in and of themselves, they fail to form the same kind of continuity that the show achieves with Kou’s personal development. In the end, one finds Kou and Nino’s bond charming but not arresting.

The visuals are safe, appealing, and pleasantly variegated: There are some shots that could work as prints and others with a slight avant-garde tinge. The main reason the animation does so well is its ability to give the impression that it’s sleeker than it is. Still frames are used frequently, yet they shuffle past so quickly, not allowing anything to become sluggish. The show also employs the technique of perspective to its advantage, where an open sky looks like it could swallow you up and an angry girl-giant in a cute dress could barely be moving and you could still feel her palpitating presence.

The soundtrack reveals a similar kind of bipolarity that accompanies the narrative, as buoyant jazz intermingles with tender symphonic sweeps. It’s astonishing how quickly and seamlessly the music is able to shift moods and establish atmospheres.

In addition, Hiroshi Kamiya and Maaya Sakamoto deliver impeccable performances for their respective leads, Kou and Nino. As Kamiya infuses a choleric, boyish energy into Kou’s voice, Sakamoto tempers it with her gentle drawl in Nino’s. I had been previously acquainted with Sakamoto as Akashi in the radiant Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei, and comparing the roles gives me a newfound respect for the actress. I had recognized her timbre from Yojouhan, yet she supplies Nino with an altogether different personality. The seiyuu for the rest of the cast deserves praise as well for their spirited if not creative performances, with Maria’s venomous purrs and Stella’s comical monster-roars being particularly effective.

The characters will certainly pull raw laughs out of you, but no matter how much each of them shines individually, they cannot bind themselves into a cohesive cast. Arakawa under the Bridge aims for the viewer to fall in love with the residents of Arakawa Bridge as a conception, in order for camaraderie to bloom when trouble comes (in the form of Kou’s father). However, for all the characters' eccentricities, they have been planted too far apart from each other to form a convincing garden. White-san and Piko do hold interesting personalities, but their impact could have increased dramatically if they had been allowed to collide with the rest of the cast. Maria and Sister’s destructive relationship carries a ton of potential but never explodes. Kou and Nino lack chemistry. I have rarely come across characters with so many possibilities, but perhaps the possibilities were too great that the cast cracked slightly under their pressure.

On another hand, the anime constructs an interesting progression with Kou’s father, an intimidating, reptilian magnate with ideals directly opposite those under the bridge. As he exerts his power at the bridge community’s expense, his convoluted relationship with his son is brought to light. His parting words in the second-to-last episode remain one of the most perplexing statements in the anime, an indication of a part of him he doesn’t let even himself see.

Overall

Raw fish? Yes. Omega-3's, protein, and other nutrients? Definitely. Arakawa under the Bridge is an anime that might taste a bit strange to the uninitiated viewer, but it is flavorful and healthy to boot. Come partake in this memorable meal.

6.75/10 characters
eneillaj's avatar
Jul 22, 2014

Not everybody's gonna like this anime, but I love it! The characters made me love this anime much more. If you want to be entertained, get to see random story along the way, with a bit of character side story here and there and a whole lot of crazy silly comedic entries, then this anime is for you.

kissmetgen's avatar
Jun 11, 2010

this makes absolutely no sense>>>i had to drop this after the 4th episode! :(

i'm confused as to where the story was going. The first episode looked promising but then all these weird characters with head gear began appearing. The plot is confusing at this point and i'm just confused just to reitereate!

HadEf's avatar
Jun 29, 2010

Absurd. That would be a word that best portrays this animé. Others? Odd. Weird. Incomprehensible. That, I presume is its charm and the reason why I greatly recommend it to be watched.

Indeed, the first episodes of the animé are befuddling and random. The main character is a person who others would say has everything that a man would ever need in his life: Kyou Ichinomiya. He is strong, influential and talented. One day, Kyou encountered a young woman of approximately the same age as him called Nino, whom he later was indebted to for a trivial cause. To repay his debt (As he does not want to be indebted to her), he decided to live under the bridge together with Nino who confessed that she wanted to be Kyou's lover from then on. Subsequently, Kyou commenced to experience everything that one would say: Unusual. The reason why I gave the story aspect of this animé a full 10 out of 10 is because of the strong message that they attempt to communicate to the viewers. A quote that Kyou uttered at one point throughout the series became one of my favourite of all time. "What is common sense?". The author of this animé's manga version, Hikaru Nakamura, is able to tackle a significant issue of the present world. The moment when you say that this animé is odd, you will be encouraged to rethink about it. "What is oddity?". "What base does one use to determine what is odd and what is normal?". "Will one be truly blissful when they are NOT odd?". And so forth. Not only that. I praise Nakamura for being able to convey such important message in an awfully entertaining way.

The animation aspect of this series is decent. I gave it a rate 8 out of 10. The angles where they would portray some scenes are certainly odd, which can be correlated with the theme of the series itself. The colours may sometimes look faded, and concurrently they may lack some details. But I congratulate the animation team for trying to visualise this series as similarly as possible to the theme of this animé.

Furthermore, I gave the sound aspect of this animé a 9 out of 10. I love their opening themes (The special opening theme at episode 5 and the regular one) as they are able to give a sense of unusual exuberance. I also love their sound effects, as they are clear and match perfectly with the animation itself.

The characters of the series is another aspect of the animé that I adore. Everyone under the bridge, has their own personalities that are certainly unusual AND interesting, and it is also fascinating to see how these distinct personalities stay true to themselves despite what others might say and consider about them. ODD. Then comes Kyou, typifying our modern society. He constantly perceives the community under the bridge as a group of crazy people who he should avoid making contacts with. Yet he undergoes the most character development in the series comparatively to the other characters, as Kyou gradually began to question the "common - sense" that he believed in since he was young and whether THAT common - sense is the true common - sense.

Trust me. By the end of this series, you will start looking at your surroundings AND yourself differently. You won't judge other people and yourself as being the oddities of the modern society, because, as I said, WHAT BASE DOES ONE USE TO JUDGE ONE AS AN ODDITY OR NOT? You will be encouraged by this animé to try and find your own "common - sense" in life :D This is an animé that is undoubtedly special and entertaining to watch quickly (Only 13 episodes! A second season is coming though - Thankfully!). :D It is not necessarily an addictive animé that you would watch over and over again, nonetheless, this will be an animé that will influence you and your way of thinking forever. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but give it a try. I 100% recommend you to watch it!

9.8/10 overall
seefoo13's avatar
May 9, 2011

Beautiful anime with deep lessons within most episodes. Some are mostly for comedic value however still very entertaining. If you like gintama and random humor you will like this. mostly a dialogue driven anime. I found the animation to be absolutely beautiful. The colors were out of this world and refreshing. To be honest it has been hard to watch other anime's after watching this one. The instant happy mood it bestows is almost impossible to top.

This will appeal to people who can relate to having love or those who know the flipside of the ideal love and would like to see what it is. I would say its the perfect love in the most realistic sense. what love is supoused to be while still retaining its down to earth-ness

i'll get straight to the point

awesome story