AOKANA: Four Rhythm Across the Blue

Alt title: Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm

Add review
2nsane's avatar
Jan 12, 2016

Let me guess the story of this anime......

Girl first day of school, challenges someone to a competition.

But wait i reckon 'the girl' has never done this before..... and miraculously wins!! WOW

There will be a character that used to do this competition. But in the past something happened and they dont do it anymore, or something like that.....

Watches First episode.

Oh wow same story as everything else woo

But good animation!! Gooo Gonzo!

Cupcake11's avatar
Feb 17, 2016

ao no kanaka no four rhythm is a really good anime I highly recommend it!!

but the tags say there it is romance were is it I want romance!!!!!!

oh yeah the review Ao no kanata no four rhythm has a great story line that hooks you in and most of the characters a great I specially like the main character Asuka. Even though I have only seen 6 episodes so far I waited 1hr in the morning for the 6 episode of Ao no kanata no four rhythm I think it's really good!

and if you are a person like me that likes to listen to the op songs and the ending songs of anime I highly recommend this animes songs the ending is called A-gain and the op I think is called spirit

Hymlikmanover's avatar
Jan 13, 2017

Look, if you're looking for an anime with a deep and rich story with relatable characters, you're in the wrong place. But for a mindless fulfillment of time, this is an "ok" substitute for boredom.

JVAnimeReviews's avatar
Apr 21, 2016

Positive

*My first positive point of AnK is the world that was created in this anime. It was somehow refreshing to see an anime that doesn’t take place in a normal high school in a normal town. The world of the archipelago was a welcome diversion from that standard. Now it was a bit of a shame that the animators didn’t use the world more. A beautiful archipelago like that could have delivered many opportunities for amazing backgrounds with equal amazing art style. The anime does take place in the sky most of the time so I kind of understand that the animators gave less attention to the land than to the sky but still this was, in my eyes, a missed opportunity.

For a video review, check out my Youtube channel. Link on my profile page.

*Next positive point was one of the characters that we meet a little later in the anime being Inui. She was by far the most interesting character in the entire anime. She was one of the few, if not the only character that had some layering in her personality. And also here I found a missed opportunity in the anime being that it was a shame that we didn’t get to know more about Inui, about her past or her reason to pursue FC. Remember that because it’s not the last time that I will say something like that in this review.

Negative

*And with that, unfortunately, everything positive about this anime has been said. The main reason for that is that AnK was so incredibly stereotypical. Let’s take a look at the storyline of this anime for instance. We have a main character, in this case Kurashina, that is extremely clumsy and seems not fitted to do any kind of sport. This character than sees a sport for the first time and decides to try it. And at the first try this character pulls of an incredibly difficult move and from then on proceeds to kick everybody’s ass. Now where have I seen this storyline before? Oh yeah, in pretty much every other anime or series that has to do something with sports. The entire storyline of AnK from episode 1 to episode 12 was predictable and unoriginal.

*And the stereotypicalness doesn’t stop there. The main character is trained by someone who used to be an expert in the sport but has quitted for some unknown reason and now is kind of adverse towards the sport. Well in AnK we have Hinata who fits this profile like a glove. It seems that Hinata was a great FC player in the past but now he doesn’t even fly anymore. It’s only because Kurashina keeps nagging that Hinata takes up FC again as her coach. As I said a perfect example of this stereotypical kind of sport’s anime character.

*Let me continue about Hinata for a bit more. We don’t get any backstory for him. The only thing we know is that he used to play FC when he was younger. But on the reason why he quitted FC we are left completely in the dark. And more about him is that Hinata is superflous in this anime. If he wasn’t in AnK, the story would have progressed in the exact same direction. He isn’t worth the title of main character.

*This problem of no backstory can also be told about the teacher Kagami. She was an amazing FC player in the past and even developed her own kind of FC which seemed to be almost unbeatable. Who was she? What is her FC story? So many things that we don’t get to know anything about in this anime.

*In stead of that we got this stereotypical and predictable anime that didn’t excite me at any point in time. The entire storyline, the side stories, the FC battles, the characters, their personalities and everything else was way to predictable, way to stereotypical and just way to boring.

Conclusion

So as a conclusion, I think I just made my point clear. I can watch almost any other sports anime and receive the same storyline but with more excitement than in this anime. And that’s why I’m going to rate Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm at 2,5 stars. I’m not going to go as far to say that this was a waste of my time but it was definitely not the most exciting anime I’ve seen in the past season.

6.5/10 sound
5.1/10 overall
candaya21's avatar
May 9, 2016

NOTE: This review may contain spoilers!

Story 8/10: The anime has interesting moments to see the characters' skills as a FC player as they grow and continue to improve themselves & as a team. They get to compete against various FC players from different schools.

Characters 8/10: Asuka is a newcomer to the school and the sport. She is also considered to be an underdog in the anime. Masaya is team's coach and understands the rules of FC. Mashiro is a young, talented player in FC and really loves Misaki. Misaki is an experienced player in FC. She is not a morning person and loves Udon! Madoka is the manager of the team. She is also caring and younger sister of Shion. Shion is captain of the team, and in his senior year. He is very passionate and experienced FC player, and is brother of Madoka.

Enjoyment 9/10: I wish Flying Circus became an official sport (especially for the Olympics)! Personally, this is not like any other sport animes you would typically see. The anime has a great animation and sound. I really enjoy watching the opening; it gives an insight to what the viewers can expect.

Overall 8.5/10: This anime is one of my favourites. It is definitely the one you should watch. Seeing the characters taking on the sport inspires and motivates you to try it as well. It can also motivate the viewers (especially the ones involved in sports) to never give up and to keep on trying. You can relate to the characters for the hardships they have endured and the lessons they have learned in the anime. I hope there is a season 2 in the future.

I have also recorded an anime review on Youtube! Feel free to check it out! >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4cc6OetWtU