Ao-chan Can't Study! - Reviews

Alt title: Midara na Ao-chan wa Benkyou ga Dekinai

Gozza's avatar
Jun 22, 2019

I wasn't a real fan of the show and it felt I was watching a shittier version of Yamada's First Time, which is a show I rated a 3/5.

The animation style wasn't bad, probably say it was above average but the main characters felt rather flat.

It also didn't really work in the shows favor to be released in a season with Miru Tights, We Never Learn, Why the Hell are You here, Teacher? and Araiya-san! Ore to Aitsu ga Onnayu de!?. Not that the other shows were mind-blowingly good but Ao-chan Can't Study! just didn't really do anything to make itself stand out at all.

The sad truth is, I was struggling to remember the show when people were asking me what I was watching and I'm pretty sure I won't even remember this show in 6 months from now.

Franconator's avatar
Dec 24, 2019

On the surface, Ao-chan Can’t Study looks like an indictment on the uselessness and general creepiness of the Baby Boomer generation, mainly because Ao-chan’s elderly father, a renowned author with tons of erotica novels under his belt (among other things, heh), is so obsessed with the state of his daughter’s virginity and how he can help her lose it. But take a closer look and you’ll find that – yes, while Ao-chan’s virginity is still the main focus of the show, Ao-chan gets a little more agency and realizes all by herself that, yes, despite her father’s intentions, all she really wants to do is fuck.

But Ao-chan is a studious girl and a virtuous girl and a pretty sheltered girl too – I mean, if your horniness is the thing that’s distracting you from studying, then there are plenty of quick, easy fixes to resolve that little issue by yourself, know what I mean? But in the spirit of what this show thinks is comedy, Ao-chan takes the roundabout approach instead and attempts to solve her problems by blaming practically everybody else for her virginity. Hey, how’s that for a gag, huh?

This exhausting push and pull within Ao-chan – who’s that boy, I really kinda wanna fuck him, how does one go about fucking him exactly, no wait I actually want to study, EEE KIJIMA’S SUCH A HENTAI GROSS, etc. – is the thing that gives life to this show’s humor. Ao-chan taking the initiative and beating the boy of her affections to the metaphorical punch makes her a tsundere of the reverse kind, and so, lends the show a new level of wit I wasn’t expecting. In short, Ao-chan thinks her crush wants to fuck her, gets all grossed out by the idea because she’s a virgin, then gets all intrigued by the idea later on, until finally, she decides to drop the pretense (and her panties) to try and fuck him herself. For science. Of course.

And also because she might like the guy back too. Of course.

It’s a very complicated thought process that gets sorted out easily in just under 15 minutes per episode and thank God for that. The humor can get tiring, and you’re never gonna root so hard for a couple to get together like Ao-chan and Kijima, but believe me when I say that this show’s greatest strength is that it knows how long it should run and what to cover in its limited timespan.

But (oh yes, you know there was a but coming, especially for a show like this) this is, in the end, still an ecchi show, and so, gets so wrapped up in all the sex, that it forgets it was trying to be witty about the sex in the first place. It’s legitimately funny sometimes, but it’s also mainly crass, immature, and juvenile. Which is such a big shame, really. Too bad Ao-chan’s stupid daddy had to go cockblock the fun and ruin things for the rest of us.

[This review was made for the Anime-Planet Secret Santa 2019 event. That OP? A hidden gem. But be careful not to get so sucked in to it, that you get duped into finishing all 12 episodes just to hear it over and over again.]

Sin7's avatar
Aug 21, 2020

i like story but need some more comedy punches .

animation is excellent , you like her animation.

sound is excellent.

Watashizashi's avatar
Jun 2, 2019

*WARNING!!
This anime is still airing. Review may include a little spoilers and contain some peanuts.
If you are aware of them, DON'T READ IT!
Have fun while reading it :)

"Usuall first impression, but not really..."
Learning is one of the most important things in humanity's life. It helps us to get higher education, so you can find job easily. So I wanted to learn more too(it has varied results, but who cares). Sometimes it's quite impossible, because of diffrent things. For example family events, lack of comfort and simply you fell in love or something like that. Today we will focus on last subject: love and results of it doings. Fasten seatbelts guys it gonna be a good ride!

"Opposites attract!"
Let's begin with characters instead of story. It's very important for the public good. So we have two characters.
Ao - she don't want anyting else except learning. There is one problem(or as I should say, two of them): her dad is famous erotic fiction author. Why is it problematic? Answer is simple: Dad has destructive impact to his daughter. He only talks about sex or things related to it. One song came to my mind, but we will get to it later... By the way, he is one of the best persons in that anime.
Real opposite is Kijima - simple guy who fell in love with girl and wants to get her attention. He is innocent and kind of cute. It will lead to some awkward moments, but we talk about them later.

"Let's the show begin!!"
Story seems like other romance comedies, but has few things different. Confession is at the first episode of anime.
From that moment whole fun begins. A lot of awkward moment, when Ao is thinking about mating, but Kijima is just worried about her. Rammstein's new song came to my mind when I watched first episodes: "Sex". Nothing else fits better than it. Especially chours:
                                                                   "Sex! Komm zu mir
                                                             Meins ist deins und das in dir
                                                                   Sex! Komm mit mir
                                                     Denn besser widerlich als wieder nicht
                                                                   Wir leben nur einmal
                                                                   Wir lieben das Leben"

Which is translated like this:
                                                                   "Sex! Come to me
                                                       Mine is yours and that inside of you
                                                                    Sex! Come with me
                                                       Rather disgusting than again nothing
                                                                      We only live once
                                                                          We love life"

We will find out while watching it. Alright, let's move on! Other characters will be problematic for that couple too, but I won't tell you about them, it's a secret ;)
By the way for Ao fits one more song: "Liebie ist für alle da" of the same band. You'll find out why while watching it too!
Coming back to supporting figures. They will mainly bother Ao and Kijima, that's all you should know about them.

"Art for art"
Ok, we talked about characters and briefly about story. Now it's time for things which tigers and real otaku's like the most: Music and animation! Unfortunately I won't tell you much, because they are average things in animes. Music isn't bad, but isn't good either. The same thing is with animation. Colors fits good for genre and music. Characters look great. Nothing to complain about, period.

"A corner of thoughts"
In a nutshell: "Ao-chan Can't study" or "Midara na Ao-chan wa Benkyou ga Dekinai"(as you wish) is a good comedy romance. Relation of these two teenagers is quite rough, but normal in some moments. *I'm looking forward of the end of it! Must have for every fan of romances!!
Does knowledge is  really power? You will find it out!

Lives on his own way:
Watashizashi

Imthadbich's avatar
Nov 9, 2021

It was a little cringing and weird when I first started watching it. Definitely thought it'd be a little bit wholesome, but after getting through a couple of episodes it kinda grows on you in a weird way, it's okay. The jist is the main character (Ao) main goal is to get in a university and live on her own away from her perverted dad ( who is a famous exotic author). But after a boy named (Takumi) show interest in her during class, she started to get weird prevented thoughts ( most likely from the influence from her dad) about this boy thus keeping her from studying AKA the title of the show. In my opinion the show was okay. Definitely perverted and not a show for everyone. But if you like shounen, romance comedy I'm not gonna judge.

5.5/10 overall