Animal Crossing - Reviews

Alt title: Doubutsu no Mori

JuneLove's avatar
Jan 25, 2020

This anime was nostalgia from beginning to end!! From the music to the characters, it was a very wholesome anime (but then again, what would you expect?) The plot was pretty good & it closely follows the Wild World game. Although, I do wish the dug into Ai's dream a little more (maybe I wasn't paying good attention). I feel like it could've been fleshed out a bit better. I would definitely watch again! If you are here, I'm guessing you are an AC Fan and therefore, you will definitely enjoy this anime!!

demonman905's avatar
May 19, 2010

This is definitely a good anime, and will work over well with little kids.  It follows the story of Animal Crossing Wild World pretty closely, with quite a bit of comedy. The characters are well done, animation is Ok, but the the Music is VERY good. Over all, it is most certainly a must watch for all Nintendo Fans, but it could use a little improvement.

9.5/10 sound
7.8/10 overall
RyaGem's avatar
Apr 21, 2024

Animal Crossing: The Movie - A Nostalgic Visit to Your First Town

Animal Crossing: The Movie offers a heartwarming and visually pleasing experience for fans of the video game franchise. However, its episodic story structure and focus on replicating the gameplay might limit its appeal to those unfamiliar with Animal Crossing.

A Trip Down Memory Lane:

The movie follows Ai, a young girl who moves to Animal Village, mirroring the experience of starting a new town in the game. She encounters familiar faces like Tom Nook, Able Sisters, and K.K. Slider, bringing back waves of nostalgia for longtime fans.

The film captures the essence of the game's atmosphere – the charming townsfolk, the relaxed pace of life, and the joy of collecting and decorating.

Visually Appealing and Faithful to the Source Material:

The animation style in Animal Crossing: The Movie stays true to the video game's aesthetics. The character designs are cute and colorful, and the environments are brimming with the charm of Animal Crossing's iconic towns.

Episodic Story and Focus on Gameplay Mechanics:

The movie adopts an episodic structure, resembling a series of loosely connected events players encounter in the game. This might feel repetitive for viewers unfamiliar with Animal Crossing, who might crave a more cohesive narrative.

A Celebration of the Game's Core Themes:

Despite the lack of a strong central plot, the movie effectively celebrates the core themes that make Animal Crossing so beloved. Friendship, community building, and the simple joys of everyday life are woven into the narrative.

A Delight for Fans, Not Necessarily for Newcomers:

Animal Crossing: The Movie is a delightful watch for fans of the video game franchise. The familiar characters, charming atmosphere, and faithful recreation of the gameplay mechanics will bring back fond memories. However, those new to Animal Crossing might find the episodic story and lack of a central plot less engaging.

Recommendation:

If you're a fan of the Animal Crossing games and yearn for a nostalgic trip down memory lane, Animal Crossing: The Movie is a charming experience. However, if you're new to the franchise and looking for a compelling narrative, this movie might not be the best introduction to the world of Animal Crossing.

Lacimehc's avatar
Mar 4, 2012

I love the Animal Crossing video games. I'd even go so far as to say they're my favourite game franchise ever. So I was willing to check out the anime movie adaption of it. I was also confused on how something like Animal Crossing could possibly be turned into a movie...

Story: The main premise of the games is that you're a new resident to a small town. You earn money, decorate your house, talk to people, go fishing and stuff like that... So how the Hell do you turn that into a story? Well, you don't really... The first bit of the movie definitely feels like an Animal Crossing Game. It's basically just introduction on the characters and how everything works (much like the introduction to the games.) Of course they do try to cram some plot in there later on, but nobody gives a shit about plot in Animal Crossing.

Animation: Character designs are all pretty much spot on. The animation itself is also pretty good and the style fits prefectly.

Sound: I'm not exactly sure what the characters are suppose to sound like since they don't have real voices in the games and I don't typically listen to them so I'll assume they're all fairly accurate here. The music is pretty much all taken directly from the games which I love.

Character: With such a large number of characters a lot of them don't really get any development. They just sort of appear, do something and then leave... Just like in the games! At least they weren't constantly asking Ai to change their stupid catchphrase or greeting every goddamn day... Um... Moving on...

Overall: While this movie wasn't anything special I'd still recommend it to anyone who really, really enjoys the games or simply likes light family friendly anime.