Alderamin on the Sky - Reviews

Alt title: Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin

Stormbrook's avatar
Jul 24, 2016

There's a lot of ditto from what others have said. I can't say a whole lot of new stuff that's already out there.

I wouldn't rate this anime a 10/10 for a variety of reasons. In the most recent episode they threw a bombshell (episode 3) about random drama that you might expect out of a soap opera. But it's easy to ignore. But I hope they don't take too much more liberties because it really can sink the ship. Otherwise most of the content up until this episode was ok. I mean there was a lot of good pacing, nice story, unique characters (a few brand new ones.) and a decent story to boot.

How they've set up millitary history seems to be also nice. They're in a millitary school at some point which is being determined as of episode 3. Each episode looms over and I like watching them. But they seem to lack in specific technical details except "Science."

Characters. Now that I thik a bit more critically I can say that the main character MAY SEEM origional. However the black haired, too smart for his own good standard set up by Shiro is overused a lot. He's Lazy and at least they managed to trick me he's origional. The fact I want to like the show is proof of that fact.

Story. The story is mostly like a puzzle that fits together. I would't say there's eough symmetry to predict 10 episodes ahead like other anime. They've done a interesting concept in a foreign world with foreign history adding in things that might be picked up as inconsequential may turn out to be more significant later. Within 3 they have already done some things other anime might take 10 episodes to chart out.

8.5/10 animation
7.7/10 overall
ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Nov 17, 2016

For a light novel adaptation, Alderamin does the unthinkable and has no schools and no direct fan service. It even attempts to have tactical warfare instead of overpowered beta males that need to fulfill some destiny by forming a huge harem.

At the same time, it is way less entertaining than your typical light novel adaptation because the writing is still bland. The reason they stuff these stories with panties and high schools is exactly for dressing up the otherwise barebones writing. It’s like soup without salt, pepper, or anything else that would flavor it somehow. It comes off as unimpressive and boring to follow for anything else besides the mind games the characters occasionally play amongst them.

Even there, the presentation is not the best, since animation and soundtrack are passable. The setting is supposed to be taking place at a serious looking military academy yet many of the characters are using magic through the use of fairies. And I don’t mean the cute cuddly type of fairies, since these spirits behave like they are animated corpses. With their dead eyes, expressionless face, and simplistic design, they serve as weird looking magic batteries as well as weak points. Exposing them is the same as incapacitating a magic user, which seems to be a neat idea, but just like everything else it comes off as bland.

It doesn’t always have to do with fairy exposing, since most of the battles are about politics, thinking ahead, and outsmarting the enemy generals, but even there it doesn’t feel like it’s that smart. The protagonist is supposed to be a genius strategist, yet most of his plans are working because his opponents are idiots instead of actually competent opponents.

And yes, I know the same issues plague even Legend of the Galactic Heroes but at least the cast there was charming. Other than that, I like Ikta, since unlike most protagonists in anime, he is not scared shitless of women and does not believe hard work and believing in your friends can make everything possible. He is lazy and easy going, essentially a clone of a certain character from the aforementioned show.

It also doesn’t help that the first third of the anime is a very slow introduction to cast and setting where nothing much happens, and why most casual watchers will drop it before it gets to the juicier parts. And no, I am not saying it gets better, I am only saying there is plot actually happening after that. The characters are otherwise dull and usually expressionless from start to finish; there is no real charm in whatever they are doing to make you care about them. You cannot even call the chicks sexy, despite having exposed midriffs and miniskirts. They have the warmth of icebergs.

The ending is incomplete, which is like they are telling us to go buy the novels because there is most likely not going to be a second season. Even as an infomercial, I don’t find it very successful since it fails to make me care about anything that is going on in the story. Although I consider it way better than something similar like the hot garbage that was Lord Marksman and Vanadis, it is still far from what can be considered a decent series, and yet another proof of why light novels are an insult to literature.

3.5/10 overall
dragoon1104's avatar
Jan 17, 2017

As spoiler free as possible:

First of all, the art style is nice and refreshing. It's definitely different than other types of drawing that's out right now.

Second, I really liked all of the characters and the way we get to know about the characters isn't written in a lazy way. Most writers write out some kind of long backstory as a flashback to make you feel sympathy and to explain why the character turned out the way it did. Aside from the MC, this anime doesn't do that. We find out little bits about each character as the story goes and we find out about the character's past based on what's happening in the present. Using Trowa as an example, you find out he's the youngest of three brother's and his elder brothers bully the hell out of him. Instead of watching some flashback about it, the brothers are brought into the story and we watch Trowa deal with their presence and grow from it.

In conclusion:

A well written story, likeable characters and refreshing art style.

Dubfan's avatar
Dec 19, 2021

(Spoiler Free Review)

Major objectionable content (TV-MA).

This anime is certainly engaging. It was not hard to watch it all in one day, however the show falls short objectively. The plot is continuous from start-to-finish (which is nice), but there is no clear goal in mind. There are a number of loose ends. Perhaps the anime is a prequel to the story portrayed in the light novels.

I couldn't really get attached to any of the characters. They are not relatable in the slightest. There is "some" character growth, but not too much.

The main reason for this anime to be for mature audiences is that it does not spare the horrors of war. Although, a little light on some aspects, it is heavy on others aspects.

Animation and sound are very well done. The opening is very enjoyable.

All in all, I rate this anime 6/10 -- Above Average. If you've got the time and like dark action, give it a watch.

Epimondas's avatar
Sep 11, 2016

This was an excellent well written show that I thought for a time was one of the best I ever saw, until episode 10.  By the logic of his own words, doing what he did to himself made no sense.  I do not get appologizing for an action you did not cause or if so in such an extreme manor.  This single act made the whole show seem ridiculous, ludicrous, and self contradictory.  If he had caused that action, aka if he was that idiot genocidal manica imbacile incompetent boob of a general, then maybe that action might at least somewhat make sense.  Another great show losing it's way in such an abysmal manner.

Until that moment, Ikta was lazy but a great leader and all around well learned and cool kind of guy, but after that moment he became a joke of himself.  I may admit that I do not like such foolish extreme actions, but I could respect and appreciate them within the context of a story, if they at least made sense, but his did not.  Honestly, it might have worked, if Nana had stopped him before he did it, but the fact she did not kind of illustrates that she is not much of a character worthwhile either.  She should have been smart enough to realize that him appologizing was pointless since he was not the one responsible.  If he was so convicted and committed to feeling that sorry about that action then he would have found away to avoid being in it in the first place, after all he is supposed to be pretty intelligent and so inciteful that he can almost predict the future.  This is another reason why that scene is stupid and makes no sense.  It really sucks that this story did such a great job building up and putting so many pieces in the right place only to drop the ball.  I guess the lofty ambitions implied by how much great potential the story had was just too much to try to live up to.  Yatori is cool headed, fairly sharp herself, though a bit of a miltant, gung ho type tomboy.  It is too hard to tell if she or the princess might be intended as the ideal match for Ikta though.  The princess is very naive but wise and quick enough to learn from her experiences well and quickly.  There are other major characters that they interact with pretty well yet at the same time tend to fade to the background a bit.  Episode 10 was honestly a bit off beat and confusing for another reason, the oddball holy invader army right after that inspection group made the two entities a bit confusing and harder to distinguish apart.  A bit more time or some fade out or interlude scene or something should have been used before flashing to that new invader force.  It may well be another indication of it going off it's previously steller story direction.  This almost makes it seem like someone else took over writing or directing the show given how poorly the previous episodes mesh with episode 10.  Or maybe the writer or director just forgot who and what Ikta was.  It just does not match his style based on what the story did for him as a character up to that point mainly for th 2 big reasons I mentioned but a few more arguments against why that doesn't work could well be added.

I now have to reluctantly significantly drop the score of this show from 10 to 5 after it so severely disappointed me.  To be honest that show breaker moment felt more like some sort of fanservice or tragic drama boost just to get ratings but have little to do wit the story or character.  The flash backs were great to help deepen the characters and their history but some of them especially in epsiode 10, almost seem to have come at a weird too convenient moment and lacked some of the natural feel the previous flash backs had.  Voice work and sound were pretty nicely done even if it as usual for anime seems to lack much in the way of background nature noises.  In the end I was left disappointed after such a spectacular start that was well maintained through the first 9 episodes.

8.8/10 animation