Akiba's Trip: The Animation - Reviews

WolfAngelus's avatar
Apr 17, 2017

This qualifies as one of the weirdest anime ever (not necessarily in a bad way). There are strong influences of otaku culture (example: Maid & Butler themed episode) as the location is in Akihabara, many parodies (example: Yu-Gi-Oh parody for a large portion of one episode), and also influenced by other nerd and gamer culture (example: Street Fighter episode). Some of the tags are somewhat inaccurate. While are some comedy bits, I would not really qualify it too much as one, as there were only a few funny bits. The Vampire tag is also not really accurate, as the characters don't show any signs of this actually or even give so much as a hint of it, they are just super-powered people with a silly weakness (covered further down). For some reason, I found the formula to copy Power Rangers to a strong extent, as each episode introduces a new menace trying to take over the citizens and city with a unique method. To save the day, the main characters come along to fight and save the day and exterminate the special minion, who are under the control of a leader that gave them these powers.

Ecchi is a semi-strong theme. How are enemies defeated? By stripping them down to their underwear, this is the only weakness. The same goes for the main characters, they are under a special form where they are super-powered, but if they lose all their clothing, they are permanently dead. These aren't vampiric qualities, hence it is an inaccurate description. There is a background story running throughout, but it isn't a heavy one. Much like the Power Rangers, it comes in the form of keeping the city safe from these evil minions and ultimately to eliminate the leader behind them. The anime is episode based for the most part, the last 3 however, are more serious and focused on that story component.

Other than that, the rest you have to see for yourself to fully understand it. It really is one of the most strange and silly anime I have seen which actually made it interesting, but also prevents it from being epic.

The art style is probably the hardest to get behind for many, it is as weird as the anime itself. The biggest note is that the basic art style conflicts with the ecchi and makes seeing the characters in underwear far less exciting than some might think. You do have some cool coloring that have a really retro feel, like the hair which is a key component to signify who has these special powers. Then there are clearly parts that are real-life pasted images, such as menus or even the shelves of a store. Then there is normal animation, and also what looks really out of place, such as Arisa's character, it somehow looks overly simple. It is a really wacky combination for a 2017 anime, but it is directly based on a game that was designed that way on purpose.

Music is actually good though, most ending themes have a different song with the artist, and singers displayed as the credits start. There are also some concert bits, as would be expected from otaku culture.

Overall, I liked this for how weird it was, it was something different. That weirdness though prevented it from being something I loved though. It got my interest, and was a decent watch, but just not on the same level of love as many other anime I have watched.

6.5/10 animation
8.5/10 sound
holms's avatar
Apr 22, 2018

I really think that this anime will resonate only with those who spent significant time in Akiba :) I've been there for 3 month, exploring it everyday, bit by bit. They even included Kebab place, which as far as I remember was the only one I've seen at all. The one which is near Yodobashi Camera Store. And that turkish guy, they even dispayed him in one of the episodes, I've been talking with him many times every time I've bough kebab in there :) I was launghing my ass off after watching that episode. I don' think there's a story at all in here, it's about everything and nothing, more like slice of life. I do believe main aim was just to show all common places in akiba, also as to show common otaku topics like gaming cards, pc nerds, harm radio, food nerds and etc.

century100's avatar
Dec 14, 2017

Great. I like myself a good Ecchi anime.

I find it pretty cool and interesting how the anime is set in a modern, colourful society. I also like how the plot has superhuman powers but I feel like the technology used is a bit too unrealistic for the setting. The art is stunningly amazing and the video/animation quality is great, as well as having eye popping colours (and characters, which I'll explain later).

I really like how the show starts and has fast paced and peppy songs. I'm kind of into that, but it would be a little better if they had subtitles for the songs.

The character designs are pretty cool, with interesting personalities and colourful hair, as well as a couple of cool and...busty people *Cough, Arisa cough*. The fight scenes are awesome and some are just downright spectacular, with some casual moments to break the ice.

Overall, this was a pretty great anime. Too bad it only has 1 season. Hoping for another season!

LizzyCat's avatar
Oct 15, 2019

To anime lovers this has the antics and animation of Kill la Kill and the crazy over the top scenarios of Gurren Lagann and/or FLCL. If you have no idea what I am talking about then in short, this is without a doubt one of the most over the top, hilarious, animes out there.

Plot: ★★★★★

The series revolves around Tamotsu Denkigai and his sister Niwaka who are shopping in Akihabara, Tokyo, Japan. Suddenly, without warning, vampiric monsters known as “Bugged Ones” run rampant throughout the city. These creatures can possess anyone by biting them, and soon they cause total mayhem across the city. As Tamotsu is about to be attacked by one of these creatures, a mysterious girl wielding a baseball bat named Matome Mayonaka swings in and rescues him.

Together, Tamotsu and Matome fight against more Bugged Ones and their encounters with them keeps increasing. However, whilst protecting Matome, Tamotsu gets fatally injured by a Bugged One. Unaware to him, Matome is actually a high level Bugged One who is trying to protect the city. Left with no other choice, she revives him as a high level Bugged One and coerces him into joining her in battle.

Tamotsu, Matome, Niwaka team up with avid cosplayer Arisa Ahokainen and form a group called “The Electric Mayonnaise”. While fighting, they notice that the only way to destroy the Bugged Ones is to rip their clothes off and expose them to sunlight. Taking advantage of this weakness, they vow to save their city from the Bugged Ones’ wrath.

Artwork: ★★★★★
Unique, it is a blend of classic Japanese style anime and American action comics.

Overall thoughts:
The plot is so original and crazy, I loved it. I would totally watch it again and recommend it to anyone looking for the genre comedy.

RealTrainerT's avatar
Apr 17, 2017

This anime is definitely one I won't be forgetting anytime soon. It was just so random and hilarious and I mean random in the best way possible. Many times I did not know what was coming next, but was always looking forward to it.

The story is very simple and formulaic, bugged ones attack, madness ensues, heroes save the day. So yes the main story is very "eh" however the specific episode storys are where the show shines. I really can't put into words what I mean but let's just say this show takes every advantage to make joke so about otaku culture and they never seem to fail, even giving us the greatest parody of Yu-Gi-Oh I've ever seen, so yeah simple overall story, but excellent individual episodes.

Animation:

The animation for this show was much to my liking going from incredible detail on fight scenes to intentional simple designs on characters and actions. While that isn't for everyone, I personally enjoy that style as it gives the viewer a nice and even comedic contrast. And yes fan service animation is on point lol.

Sound:

While I found the overall sound of the series enjoyable and fitting for the tone and energy of the show, nothing really stood out on its own at least for me, it fit the need it was required to fill and nothing more really. However the opening theme I need to address as it was amazing it starts out like the start menu of a game (which makes sense as it's also a game) and just builds up with energy until it releases said energy into a fun song guaranteed to get stuck in your head lol.

While the characters aren't the most well developed the way they interact with situations just makes them so fun to watch. I feel that some people might not like them but they're just so random and exciting they always have your attention. (Except with the romance they try to throw in.)

Overall this series was a very fun ride, not an anime where you're gonna get complex characters and thrilling stories but an anime where you can just kick back relax, turn your brain off and enjoy the madness that you will see beforehand you.