Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor

Alt title: Roku de Nashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records

Add review
roychumki340's avatar
Jun 3, 2017

The series about magic, mages and fantasy. Things what attracts me in the anime most. And now, rokudenashi is an anime about a bastard who becomes a teacher. Though it may look like a harem, fanservice and school anime besides that there are more reasons to watch. The character devolopment is pretty good and its focuses on magic, fantasy as well. There are also pretty drama. Though the humor is not so good. There ard many things I don't like ( their female school uniforms etc) but there many things i like too~

Overall, its pretty good to watch. Op is great too~

Daidictus's avatar
Sep 20, 2017

Rokudenashi has a lot of initial promise. The first few episodes are laced with humor, and the MCs interactions with his students offer a lot of potential in terms of character development, for both the MC and the students themselves. The MC is extremely interesting at first, as he is an unemployed NEET who harbors a secret past as a special forces Mage, whose special ability is negating magic and thus he is literally a "punch wizard". The problem is, the show clearly had no idea what to do with all of their ideas so the whole plot strings along with one unrelated incident after another, finally resulting in a final battle that has literally nothing to do with anything introduced in the show thus far. Following that, not one single plot thread gets resolved.

Side characters quickly become annoying as they have very little personalization outside the first couple episodes. Shironeko / Sistine has an obvious crush on the MC, and fulfills the tsundere archetype. Yet even though they spend the entire 12 episodes showcasing her and training her character, she has practically no involvement in anything of substance until the final episode.

The princess character, who has a subplot that is hinted as the reason behind all the different events that happen, allows for an easy excuse for "things to happen" and has virutally zero character development despite an extremely strong start, and sits on the sidelines as simply an object to be protected.

There's very little of substance to be had in Rokudenashi. I debated simply dropping it, as by the 8th or 9th episode I had determined that the show was not going to improve in a substantial way. In fact, I was correct in my assumption because the show actually got worse.

Overall, I cannot recommend this anime. The first few episodes are interesting, but as they do nothing substantial with the premise, it's not particularly worth watching.

Ryukami's avatar
Aug 17, 2017

Based on first episode, but I still watched all of this worse than mediocore stuff.

Within the first 5 minutes of this anime you just know that it's going to be one of those weeb,moe,harem stupid animes that goes nowhere and has no interesting characters and nothing interesting to say.

Saying all that, you can see that they clearly tried to make it as good as possible, I mean the animation quality is decent and the animation style and colors are good.

All in all, if I had watched this when I was around 10 or 12 and didn't know better I would have scored this rather highly.

SSmith1014's avatar
Jun 30, 2017

Sadly, this show let me down. It was worth a watch and I would recommend it to anyone interested in the supernatural/comedy/school life genres. It was pretty strong until the very last episode, an episode which suffers from too much plot in too short of a time. Like Erased and RE:Zero, it flops at the end because of all of the issues that need to be resolved in the last 23 minutes of the show. For me, pace is extremely important and this just did not do that. The characters were typical, but likeable enough. Glenn is one of my favorite tropes, so I loved him. The concept is really cool but I feel like they didn't do enough with the Akashic Records to make that a central theme. All in all, if they do a second season I'll watch it but I'm not impressed.

MickAtNite's avatar
Sep 20, 2017

First of all, I'd like to preface this review by saying that the first arc of this show was good. I'd even recommend it. Seriously, watch it. It has good pacing, clever humor, and characters that don't suck. Having the big bad be a cult, when done incorrectly, can be cheesy (this one was a little bit), but the show still had viewable content. The humor stays light throughout, and even if some jokes they use are a tad tired, they work. There are a few serious scenes, but they have jokes dispersed within, so as not to entirely change the tone of the show.

The second arc is where things begin to get dicey, as some characters seem to get confused in their motivations and act differently. The humor stays consistent throughout the plot, but it's almost as if they changed directors halfway through. Serious scenes, instead of having the humor that was so prevalent before, become drawn out melodrama. Villains are thinly disguised "evil for the sake of evil" characters, because "fanatical devotion to a cult isn't evil for the sake of evil." There are obviously right ways to have a cult as your main villain (e.g. Re: Zero), and this show definitely fails in that regard. The pacing of the show also changes, with the majority of the (supposedly) intense action scenes being offset by things that are technically essential to the story, but are tossed in haphazardly, seemingly to produce as little coherence as possible.

Once again, I would like to iterate that THE SHOW IS FUNNY. The problem is that it relies too much on the humor and a few interesting plot devices (yes, some were interesting) to propel the story. NOT A SINGLE VILLAIN WAS REMOTELY INTERESTING. The "final battle" in the last episode was between the MC (Who is a surprisingly good character) and a guy that we had never seen before. He was so uninteresting that I remember his disguise better than his actual character.

In conclusion, watch the first arc. If you feel like you have time to waste on the next couple, knock yourself out. Afterwards, you can come read this review and laugh at how relatable and edgy I am. Sorry if I rambled and thanks for reading!