Akame ga Kill! - Reviews

ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Sep 5, 2014

Akame ga Kill has become the representation of feelziness. If you are one of those people who expects to get emotional from the very first episode, you will lose your shit with this one because (GASP) it constantly kills its characters and doesn’t resurrect them a few episodes afterwards. This made it super popular while it was airing and eventually got overhyped into the status of a masterpiece, because it deconstructs the clichés of fighting shonen.

And by clichés I mean plot armor and talk no jutsu, elements the shonentards got tired of seeing in Naruto. Everybody were so butthurt by Pein being talked into changing his mind and bringing back to life all those he killed, that the instant they found a show not doing that, they hailed it as mature and serious. Something which is not, since it constantly ruins every dramatic scene with out of place fan service and slapstick comedy. The mood whiplash it creates is immersion breaking, since it can’t maintain a specific emotion for more than a few seconds. Which is why it appeals so much to edgelords.

Speaking of edge, the show is constantly trying to present everything as grey in morality, since most of the heroes are heartless assassins and many of the subordinates of the villains obey them out of duty or some twisted concept of justice. What it’s actually doing is making you think if you mix extreme violence with extreme comic relief, the result will somehow be more grey than if you have clear cut good guys and bad guys. Which is not the case since blurring the lines of good and evil is not the same as making everybody a psychotic mass murderer who loves to torture and rape innocent people. The bad guys are pitch black evil and never show the slightest sign of remorse or questioning their horrible acts. Hell, they don’t even have any motivation for torturing and killing hundreds of people other than “Because we can lol”. Yet none of the emotionalists seemed to care because it was keeping things on the edge.

The show is also praised for its very fast pacing, instead of spending entire episodes on unimportant stuff such as fleshing out or character development. It’s also adored by many for not having plot armor, since people are constantly dying on both sides of the conflict. Too bad any sense of dramatization is lost when they drop like flies without being given much screen time or any significant characterization. If nothing lasts for long, it comes off as superficial. And yet this is seen as a plus at an age where the average attention span of a viewer is less than 6 seconds. He needs to be constantly stimulated or he’s not going to give a shit.

Without much to care about a character, all you have to look forward to is seeing who gets to die next. Which is exactly what anime fans were doing in the forums. The first couple of deaths were shocking because they were unexpected, but after the 100th time somebody died, all they were doing was guessing who gets killed in the next episode. Nobody cared about the heroes or the villains, who by the way are complete archetypes with nothing special about them. The only thing that was defining them was their death. Which was usually brutal.

Over the top gore and death scenes do not make something mature. They make it extreme. They are just shock effect and have nothing to do with characters, because you only care about the act of bloodshed and mayhem, than about the butchered people in the middle of all that. There is hardly any time invested in most of them, and the show will make sure to make a joke out of their deaths, so you won’t care after they kick the bucket. And even if you do care, there are simply way too many killings close to each other that you are never given time to get over the death of one of them, before a dozen more are thrown at you. You are eventually going to be desensitized no matter how much you try to remain excited.

I could go on nagging about the low budget animation, the retarded script, the amateurish scene transitions, or the rushed ending, but I won’t because the anime would still be bad even if all those things were done right. And no, the manga is not any better despite being very different after a point on. You watch this show as a parody of Naruto, you laugh at it, and then you shake your head upon realizing that this is what modern anime fans like the most.

staceylee07's avatar
Jul 29, 2014

Just to help anybody who is trying to figure this anime out:

This anime surprised me. It manages to be lighthearted and fun at times, but also has some gruesome, dark scenes as well. If you want to try this show out, make sure you watch the ENTIRE first episode. When I started the first episode I thought it would be very predictable, but getting to the end I was completey hooked. If you didn't enjoy the first episode, then chances are you won't enjoy the rest. It gets to the point pretty quick.

I feel like this show is a good mix of action and comedy and would recommend to those who just want to have a bit of fun, but keep in mind it is not for the fainthearted. People will die, I mean it's a show about assassins literally titled "Red Eye Killer" so you should probably already know that. Like I said it gets to the point fairly quickly.

My only real problem is that some of the characters feel like they were copy and pasted from other animes. But that's just my opinion. Despite that I still find each character interesting and I want to know more about them, even the main character who I didn't initially like. He is the "I must become stronger and save my village" country boy type, something I personally think has been done to death in fantasy genres. Without trying to ruin anything, he comes across like a goody two shoes but seems to have a dark side as well, which is actually what got me hooked.

When it comes to fanservice, there is some but its not over the top. It's there, but not so much that it's distracting or out of place. The animation is pretty great too, reminds me a lot of sword art online in that department.

Might change the rating later because the show only just started.

8.5/10 animation
TheEdgelordAnnasui's avatar
Nov 8, 2016

fuck this anime. Seriously, it's horrible. Basically no redeeming qualities. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

Story: To fans of the manga, I am so, so sorry. It's not a good manga, but by god it didn't deserve this. So this story is pretty bad. It lacks zero originality, it's really just a cliche shounen/harem cramming in so much edge it made the edgelord herself cringe. The setting is generic and undefined, and there are allot of obnoxious inconsistencies. The dialogue and exposition are also incredibly bland and boring. The anime tries to be a seinen even though it is 100% shounen minus the plot armor. Oh yeah, just so you know this show is obsessed with killing off characters. And the way they do it is absolute shit. Basically a character will tragically and brutally die, then it will immediately be followed by a comedy scene! They try to be dark, but there's so much comedy it can't be taken seriously.

Animation: the term "unfitting" is an understatement. I want you to think of lucky star, Now think of attack on titan, smash em together and- bam! Akame ga kill. Seriously, that's what it looks like, the characters are supposed to be these dark edgy assasins but they look like pastel moe waifus! The colors are so blindingly bright it's almost hard to look at. The character designs lack any originality, just look at tatsumi and tell me one thing that stands out about him. As for the animation it's self, it's just kinda "meh". Not appalling, but not impressive. The fights however are just, ugh. Boring boring BORING. The weapons aren't anything new and the "action" isn't interesting in the slightest.

Sound: The sound effects are kinda hilarious in an awful way. Like nothing sounds realistic or fitting. The voice acting for the dub is just blegh the jap is average, all the anime voices they use are nothing new and add nothing to the character. The op and eds are.... good. I'll admit it akame ga kill has good music, but they over use the same track so much I kinda hate it now.

Characters: seriously? Just, seriously? I mean these "characters" are so terrible it almost feels like an insult to my [rather low] intelligence. Tatsumi is trying to be every shounen cliche in one, he's so painfully (sorry for overusing this word) GENERIC. Even down to his design, nothing interesting. Akame is a stoic cold girl with a dark past, yawn. Mine is a tsundere and nothing else, just tsundere. Lubbock is a pervert and nothing else. Leone is a walking pair of boobs. Sheele is the "clumsy is sexy" girl. Bulat is the manly bro type. Najenda has literally no character. Chelsea is 'girl'. Tsusano is a dude that can cool. Hilarious. All the heroes are horrendous. As for the villains, they're even worse. Esdeath is inconsistent, and basically just a sadist with ever revolving tit size. Seryuu is offensively horrible, she's obsessed with justice to a point where she just kills innocent people because "hurhur justice". Wave is tatsumi with blue hair. Kurome is a more annoying version of Akame. And the rest of the Jagers are to forgettable to mention. All the minor villains are just evil smiles attached to people's bodies not further personality. In the entire anime, I'm telling you, there is ZERO character development.

Overall, if you really are interested, just read the manga. At least it has some effort put into it.

4.5/10 sound
Tisbis's avatar
Mar 4, 2020

Dropped at episode 10. Spoilers!

I had high expectations for Akame ga Kill, as it's very popular and my friend loves it. The first episodes were fine, I didn't have a strong first impression. Getting to the later 10 episodes, I realized how boring and repetitive this show is. I really can't understand the praise.

Story: The story revolves around a corrupt government and a group of assassins know as "Night Raid" working to bring justice by killing off corrupt leaders and influencers. Tatsumi joins Night Raid after falling victim to a corrupt rich family. Starting the story with a rich family that gets off torturing the poor is, to put it simply, lazy. They also happened to kill both of Tatsumi's friend, conveniently giving him his own tragic backstory for Night Raid. I wasn't shocked by the first episode, but I was saddened. It doesn't take long for Tatsumi to join Night Raid, and he easily kills his first target, despite his target being a strong war veteran and Tatsumi had only trained in a small village. The story continues this way, with Night Raid going off on missions to kill the corrupt. Sheele is the first to die, and it was so drawn-out and overdone that I didn't care much at all. This was all for a character we had just met. Bulat dies next, and he was one of my favorites. But again, it was so drawn-out that I could only roll my eyes. Bulat takes his sweet time dying, making sure to give Tatsumi an enthusiastic pep-talk and watch his fight before biting the dust. My friend also emphasized how sad this anime was. Was that supposed to be sad? Akame ga Kill tries to have this... funny and sad story. The show has also been praised for this. The comedy is nothing special, I don't have much to say of it. The show's "Imperial Arms" idea is once again, basic. They're weapons created by some guy that are very powerful. They're more powerful the more you like it. Literally. Some of the Imperial Arms are unique, like Pumpkin, while others are just a big pair of scissors. Almost everyone Night Raid fights has an Imperial Arm, so they don't seem as special you'd think.

Animation: Akame ga Kill's animation is remarkable unremarkable. It's style isn't anything striking or unique, but it's not bad either. It's flat, and it's there. The fights, on the other hand, were awful. Every few seconds, there'd be a freeze-frame with little motions, like wind flying through hair. I don't know how to explain it well, but it made the fights tedious and boring. Everything else consisted of typical clashing of swords, yelling, and spraying blood like a goddamn sprinkler.

Sound: I don't care for sound. The OP and ED music was basic, and the voice acting was good. I watched with the original Japanese voices. The English dub was, as usual, awful.

Characters: Oh boy. Tatsumi is a stereotypical male protagonist. Likes boobs, new to combat but super OP, headstrong, screams a lot. He is likable, but nothing special. His design is also very basic. Akame was a disappointment. I expected her to be a broken girl who only knows to kill. Instead, she opens up after one successful mission and becomes a normal girl who likes food. Her design is fine, the school-girl like dress isn't very fitting of her. Mine is a tsundere. She's a flat character. There's nothing much to say about her. I dislike her obnoxious all-pink design. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the world. This is true for nearly all of Night Raid. Her weapon, Pumpkin, is the best part. It's creative and fun to watch. Leone is a skimpy, strong, yellow-haired girl. Her design is especially ugly in my eyes. She gets cat ears, a tail, and paws when she uses her imperial arms. It's very boring. She's the jokester character who punches people who make her mad. She wasn't particularly funny or cool. Sheele was an airhead who could only make herself useful through killing. Her design is charming and simple. I liked it. She dies fast, and she's forgettable. Lubbock had nothing in the episodes I watched, despite liking women, I guess. His bright green hair is once again, obnoxious. Bulat is a tough guy who takes a liking to Tatsumi. He passes on his Imperial Arms to him. Bulat was a solid character, despite the questionable gay stereotypes forced on him. This is done to another side character, too. Did I mention he died from water? Esdeath is the main antagonist. She is another disappointment. She's supposed to be foreboding and powerful, but she's just... boring. She has no motive for her evil ways, and also falls in love with Tatsumi for some reason, making her a sexual character with boobs for the audience to ogle at. Overall a lazy villain that could've been so much more.

I understand I am being harsh for watching less than half of Akame ga Kill. However, my disappointment lead to me giving up. It angers me that I cannot understand the praise for this show, and that I cannot enjoy it. Overall, Akame ga Kill has a basic and sometimes lazy, flat and poorly designed characters, and animation that leaves much to be desired.

TeHP1nkSh33p's avatar
Oct 8, 2014

Fun to watch but you're not going to learn a single damn thing.

Reviewed at ep 14.

For people new to anime, sure go ahead and watch it, you'll prob find it rather entertaining.

For everyone else who's sort of past that stage of watching pointless badass animes, this is not for you. Everything is generic - all the characters, all their back stories, all the superpowers, all the deaths, all the doki doki romance, and all the inaction regarding said romance.

Sure, Esdeath is totally badass in the most OP way (the 'cheapest' way to make someone badass) and completely and illogically in love with the main character and that's interesting and all, but that's about the only interesting thing about this show.

I personally don't care on an emotional level about any characters apart from Esdeath (oh her voice actress is pretty boss), which is really saying something due to the large cast and the amount of time spent on back stories. Even so, I can see this liking to Esdeath to fade over time as pretty much all the characters are completely one-dimensional.

Since this is a typical shounen with a little more blood, I doubt anything game-changing is going to happen. e.g. Tatsumi finally hooking up Esdeath and joining her for good. So yeah. Plot is predictable, lacks depth, generic characters, and no emotional connection.

That being said, it's not a bad anime, or else I would've rated it 1/5. With the amount of junk series coming out nowadays, this one may fill your time for awhile while waiting for the really good ones.

Or maybe you would just like to lay back on your bed and switch your brain off as you enjoy some shounen anime. That's fine, even I do that sometimes too, hence being at episode 14 now.