Air Master - Reviews

ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Jan 18, 2012

PREFACE
Jump! Kick! Dodge! Swing! Pantsu shot! Roll ! Spin ! Boobies shot!
Although it appears to be another typical Shounen series with brainless action and Ecchi scenes, Air Master is in fact a Seinen series, and a parody of the usual Shounen fighting and Ecchi anime.

THE STAFF
Created by Toei Animation, one of the largest and most famous anime studios when it comes to children’s shows. Directed by Nishio Daisuke, who also directed the fabled Dragonball Z series and lately is preoccupied with the Pretty Cure franchise. It was a wise and fitting match-up, since his attension to action and emotional tension fits the overall feeling of Air Master. All those though were still not enough to deem the show good because its context is minimal and its plot too simplistic to stand the test of time.

SCRIPT
I want to become the best in the world! (she jumps and her boobies bounce)
Maki is a famous female street fighter and other street fighters who want to make a name by defeating her constantly challenge her. She has no trouble accepting, as she loves fighting. When she is not fighting, she is taking part in comical situations with other high schoolers… That’s pretty much the story. Maki has some secrets about her past that reason her lust for battle but they are not much of a plot twist or a dramatic backdrop. The ending was not at all satisfactory. It is a simplistic tale, told with little effort. It is more about making a joke out of the genre than anything more.

PRODUCTION VALUES
- As far as fan service goes, you can easily be fooled to think it’s an Ecchi series because it always talks about breasts and such. But if you watch the characters and what they do you will not be able to find 1 female character capable of providing fan service. The protagonist and the other blond grappling girl are way to masculine to be beautiful, the little girl is way too much annoying to be considered Moe and the "big breasted girl’s" hooties are so huge that become ugly. Sexual references are more of a comic relief rather than arousing. There is also some yaoi for the female and the… not so male audience.
- The parody part plays out fine; most faces are intentionally drawn too round and ugly, as the series is trying to promote only well-built bodies and crazy-looking bad-asses.
- Action scenes are great to look at. Unlike most series, which focus on a specific martial art or supernatural motif, Air Master is based on Street Fighting, where everyone has his personal and unique blend of fighting. Fists, kicks, aerial attacks, grapples, swipes, everything seemed (and felt) better than the real thing.
- And not to forget to mention that the arena is not a typical empty square but parks, alleys and buildings. Their features become part of the battle and aid or stomp fighters, depending on the circumstances. Although the outcome is usually predictable, you really forget about the obvious and get absorbed in the action. Not many series are capable of doing that.
- Lightning/ Visual Effects are not too many and not too fake. Speed lines and spotlights in the most part; they are nice but not great.
- Music themes and voice acting were completely mediocre… except for that little girl’s voice whose name I forget. She was annoying but did make things not so typical. Otherwise, it is plain average.

CAST

Don’t be fooled by the supposed drama, romance or seriousness the characters sometimes show. There is nothing to be taken seriously about them, as they are either beating or making fun of each other. They have some interest for not being gender-specific; as girls aren’t acting all shy and frail and boys aren’t that manly (part of the joke, I presume). They all have different quirks that make them even more unique. But, generally they are nothing you can’t find in similar series.

Maki, the leading female fighter, is funny just by being tall and naive. She fails to provide a serious side to her as she basically just cares to fight strong people (as if she is Son Goku with breasts) as a way to forget how empty her life really is. Everything else she is supposed to learn and mature during the series is bull; I only cared to see her fight and expose her underwear. Thus the cast makes an impact but it’s terrible at leaving lasting impressions. She looks great only from the feet and below.

Her friends in the school were uninteresting as hell, as they had no real personality or character development. Funny to look at but forgettable as soon as the series ended.

The bad guys… were not really bad guys. Fighters that just wanted to challenge Maki in a fight and didn’t plan to destroy the world don’t count as villains. But most were just beaten in an episode and then written out of the story. The last one (and of course, the strongest) gave some twist to this formula but he appeared too late to make any major impact.

LEGACY
Not really rewatchable, as the thrill only works once. There is not much of a story or perplex characters that can spur you to give it a second try. The humor or sexiness is not that great as well. At best, you will just scroll through the fighting scenes.

It is rather good thanks to its Street Fighting theme. You won’t find many fighting anime were the protagonist fights only for his enjoyment (besides DBZ) or where an annoying little girl keeps screaming for even less reasons than usual. That is what makes it better than average but still not enough for a full menu of satisfaction. There is very little to look forward to outside of some jokes and battles.

SUGGESTION LIST
World’s Strongest Desciple Kenichi is also a comedy around martial arts.
Grappler Baki is also about street fighting and is very brutal about it.

4.5/10 overall
Archemetes's avatar
Apr 23, 2017

This anime isn't bad considering it came out in the 70's...oh...wait.

The plot is barely adequate, the animation and sound are nostalgic in a way if you've watched a lot of older stuff, but even old school anime like Lupin III or Ashita no Joe would win in a side by side comparison. The characters are one dimensional and a few are actually so annoying that they'll make you question whether or not you should keep watching [I only did because it was on my list here]. The fight scenes are just a subpar effort to excuse the overly gratuitous panty shots [this might have flipped and become the only redeeming quality if the animation were better xP], and the humor just didn't hit the mark. They pretty much stick to either having the most annoying character in the show do the thing that makes her annoying or talking about tits.

This anime has all the charm of a cheaply made hentai without the interesting bits. Enjoy.

4.5/10 overall
iguapalca's avatar
Mar 1, 2014

I will give this anime more than one episode, I just want to give my first impressions.

I wasn't very impressed with this anime, it shows a bit of potential but it needs to cover a lot in the next episode. I don't get why I'm suppose to care about the air masters? What's the big deal, she's strong and has red hair? A lot of anime characters are like that.

To be fair that is totally oversimplifying it. Macki does have a different look for a female main character, she has short hair and isn't overly sexualized. The feminist in me loves that. But she also is very silent, which is fine and all but I feel it needs to compensate by providing some inner thoughts. A completely silent main character is a boring one, I need some  dialogue.

So far from what I've seen, Macki's supporting characters aren't individualized from anime to anime. There is a little over-excited annoying brat and a girl with big tatas, the other two are okay but sort of fade into the woodwork.

The animation is older, but just accept my rating as a different preferences. I understand that fighting-style animes are like this, but overutilizing the techniques this anime has used just gives me a headache. It's lazy. Sound wasn't noticable, thus the also low rating.

For anyone that may oppose my rating and claims "You didn't give it enough of a chance!" remember that this is my first impression. I do intend to continues this anime to at the most the 5th episode. Nothing wowed me about it to go past that, normally I would give it untill the 10th but I don't have high hopes.

ZorroMeisterZ's avatar
Jun 7, 2010

Honestly the score is just a guard/. This series was pretty good. Now I could go into story depths and the complexity characters and interwoven stories. But sadly that would make me a liar. Most of the characters are 'one note' even Maki herself.  The story is fairly cliched and the progression is somewhat predictable.

AND IT WORKS!

Seriously, this is an Action,/FIghting Anime, and as such the fights never disappoint. Now while I said the characters are all one note, the strange thing is in theis context each of those notes come together to player a rather catchy and enjoyable tune.

And yeah there are panty shots, panty shots like crazy. Though strangely they never seem quite as gratutious or tiresome as other anime like Agent Akia.

The acton is good, the animation is weldone, the fights areexciting and memorable and the panty shots  while too frequent to be much of a buzz after the first few episodes still add an interesting flair t the combat.

My advice. WATCH IT!  There's bound to be something you'll like even if it is  the insane martial arts and hilarious gags.

Soerd's avatar
Jun 16, 2011

this anime was amazing in all of the various usual ways, the animation and the story are both great and the characters are above and beyond just about any i have seen. what makes me a diehard fan of this anime though is the dark side it has to it, i still haven't found a single anime with a character like maki. I can't really describe what it exactly but there is something incredible about her that nothing else has ever come close to, i have watched a lot of combat anime but this isn't even comparable to the genre if i could i would make up a new genre but then this would be the only anime in it.