Air Gear - Reviews

ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Jan 18, 2012

Based on an action/ecchi manga, Air Gear follows the normal path almost all shounen do. Its replay value is low, as it is reminiscent of a zillion other series. Before you start watching it, you should be aware from the first minute that it is nothing special in its execution and that it will be forgotten as soon as you watch your next shounen anime.

In whatever excuse of a premise this show has, Air Treck is a new sport, an extreme variation of roller blades with motors that allow high speeds and aerial acrobats. The protagonist plans to become No.1 in this sport (Owww, how original!). The story is pretty much about training and taking part in races. Ecchi and lukewarm comedy scenes color the otherwise cliché scenario, with nothing else to deem the show good. Its context is minimal and its plot too simplistic to stand the test of time.

The story is as typical as it gets. It has a cast of kids and teenagers, the protagonist wants to become the best in some game/sport/technique, and there is not bloodshed, no matter the danger of the difficulties. And yes, the anime is typically watered down in comparison to the manga. It is not a bad story actually; hard guts, training, sweat and power of teamwork, it’s all there. It’s just nothing out of the ordinary which makes it predictable right away. It was also left incomplete (the manga takes the story further) which makes it deserve a below average score.

Think of the most cliché cast there can be in shounen and you get the general picture. Just dress them in humorous sexuality and you are there. A boy is the protagonist that tries to become the champion, an almost slut-girl is his mentor, a girlish boy is his rival and … some others just to be secondary allies and rivals. Really, nothing out of the ordinary, as far as personality or character development goes. You will mostly care about the girls’ boobs and panties than their … inner selves. You will just notice the air treks and the acrobats and the cheesy visual effects and completely forget the characters. And again, the cast is left without proper catharsis as the story is incomplete.

Character figures and ecchi scenes were too mediocre to write anything about. Backgrounds on the other hand were quite realistic, because they were based on real locations. Not too shabby! The animation during the races was flashy but quite basic for an otherwise super fast racing show. The camera angles were ok and the acrobatics were fine but the special effects were simply fake. Badly thrown in speed lines that look very off-putting compared to the realistic backgrounds.

Voice acting was as mediocre as the appearance of the characters. Music themes and sound effects were above average, full of strength and easily evoked excitement over the sport. Nothing memorable after it’s all done though.

FINAL THOUGHTS

- I dislike sports anime, whether it’s about football, golf, go, or roller blades.
- No matter the sport, the whole deal of watching 14 year olds playing a harmless game is simply boring. Who cares what training they do in order to become better in a game? Why should I believe that kids that try to become champions in some game are worth praising?
- It’s about a fictional sport; you don’t even learn anything useful out of it.
- Who cares about friendship, teamwork and willpower? I get plenty of those in every action series there is.
- Who cares about the characters? They are stereotypes, found in a zillion other anime.
- Who cares about fan service? I prefer hardcore hentai action.
- To my eyes, this series doesn’t try to excite kids into thinking about becoming athletes but just to buy roller blades. Meaning, it’s nothing more than a cheap, brainwashing, marketing trick, dressed with acrobats and lukewarm sexuality. Ok, it had plenty of comedy and fan service; good for it. But I have seen much better elsewhere. Beyond that, it is another run-of-the-mill series that has nothing really original to offer.

SUGGESTION LIST
Alien 9. The only other anime with roller blades I know of. Though, the genre is much different. Dementia instead of sport and ecchi.
Eureka Seven. Not with roller blades, but with mecha on flying surfing boards. The only anime with so much attention to movement without vehicles I can think of. The genre is adventure instead of sport but characters and story are far more interesting.
Hikaru no Go and Slam Dunk. As exceptions to the rule, these sports/hobby series are nice to watch.

Alphaman's avatar
May 15, 2012

A very good sports anime, not one of the more emotional ones that I usually watch, but definitely an amazing plot, the characters were a little mismatched, but when extremely different things that are normally bad on their own come together to make one great thing, it just shows how a conglomeration can become something amazing. I loved Ikki and the girls from Sleeping Forest, especially how Ringo always looked out for Ikki from an older sister's point of view. I also loved Semka and how she was always there to cheer Ikki on, and when the time came, to take Genesis and join Ikki's team, the only bad thing about this anime is the ending, I don't know if they might make more, but ending halfway through the story isn't a cliffhanger, it's just bad storytelling, all in all, this anime would probably rank in my top 25.

BoyTitan's avatar
Oct 22, 2009

well this anime suprised the hell out of me didnt expect to watch it great combination of action comedy and this was even more unexpected it had a good story ^^ watch this episode one had me hooked from the first fight scene were ikki at the time a bmxer start poopin off at this at rider ikki gos chargein in at dude the dude like dum fast gets behind ikki real fast got him in some like pile drive position and take the dude in the air from the window and ikki take a piss on himself while hes a inch away from the ground cause the dude stops and him and his whole gang start laughing

MindlessHooligan's avatar
Apr 8, 2012

What can I say? I absolutely loved this show. Although the animation is older looking they do it all very well, the story was great and the main thing I don't like about this show is how it doesn't have a season two. It was fantastic

STORY

Very very good, I just wanted to keep on watching, all the characters and events develop very well. It starts slow but I was pulled in, it grows and grows and gets better and better. I just wish they went more in depth and longer. I hate how it gets cut off in the end.

ANIMATION

I dont normally like animation that's older looking like this but they did it very well, all the tricks are shown well and you're pulled along with Ikki and the others

SOUND

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE SOUNDTRACK, couple of the songs are a bit weird but they suit the show and characters perfectly. It's on par with shows like Fairy Tail and Angelbeats.

CHARACTERS

These guys didn't act too much like middle schoolers to me, I love everyone on Kogarasumaru, Ikki, Buccha, Agito/Akito, Kazu and Onigiri, I love how they bring back old characters and build up new ones, and how it takes time introducing them. I loved all the side characters and how all of them keep up with the crew.

OVERALL

Definitely one of my top 3 shows, I didn't like the look of the sypnosis and was reluctant to even put on my want to watch, but after episode one I was hooked! I highly recommend this show to people who like action, comedy and drama.

9.8/10 story
8.5/10 animation
Twyzted7's avatar
Jan 24, 2010

Air Gear is honestly something I never expected to watch.  I've seen it on my regular sites for around a year now, I've read the reviews, synopsis, even seen a couple clips.  It was just something that never seemed like a series that could grasp my attention...I was wrong.  I sat down the other day, suffering from the lack of inbetweens during my regularly scheduled addictions (OP, Bleach, Fairy Tail, etc), began Trick: 1, and before I realized it I was on Trick: 10 and 45 minutes late for work.

It's not the most unique anime.  Half of the facial expressions brought me back to the glory days of Beevis and Butthead, the soundtrack was the same generic nu - metal you find in most "action" (and I use that term loosely) anime you find, and the storyline is the standard immature boy who through his newfound allies and ongoing battles grows into his own greatness while every girl who meets him falls hopelessly in love with him.  What caught me though was it's reality.  I guess for this I may have to explain a bit further.

A lot of these animes generally follow the same storyline.  What seperates them is how these characters portray their role and the feelings you get from it, and that is in a sense what also seperates us as fans.  Air Gear didn't impress me with the characters insane abilities, the female roles were no different then the other 170+ animes I've watched, but there was a certain air of familiarity about it.

I don't mean that it was things I've experienced in my days as a professional fruit-booter (sorry to all of you who enjoy rollerblading, I just had to), but whenever I watched it I didn't see it as animation, I saw their real faces.  Sure it had extraordinary feats that would be utterly impossible in reality, but that made up such a small portion of the show in comparison to the realism in their actions and personalities.  I saw real faces, real emotions, and that's not something many animes have the ability to portray.  Even the funnier and more embarrassing moments gave off that pleasant sense of simplicity and reality.

You could say that I've looked to far into this show, or may not exactly get what I mean and that may be so.  But I do so with every show I've watched and it remains that this is the first series in it's "genre" to give me this sensation.