Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi - Reviews

Sbrooks25's avatar
Dec 23, 2019

Spoiler alert

I enjoyed the 1st season and looked forward to the progression of their relationship. Season 2 was hard to watch. So many side stories. More than I cared to know abt. It really lost focus.  It was frustrating to see all these 3rd wheels and biting of the tongue but I sat through it bc I just knew when it was all said n done it would be so triumphant.... well the trumpets never sounded off. In the end I feel as if I've wasted my time.

Axle's avatar
Mar 3, 2010

After watching the first season of Ai Yori Aoshi i quickly found myself wrapped up in the story and wanting to know what would happen next, when I finished watching Enishi I was a little disapointed in the end that they didnt go as far as the Manga did but that is tipical for an Anime.  dont get me wrong the story itself was great and the emotions of the characters really gets to you.  I would Recomend this to any one who hasnt seen it yet

angelsreviews's avatar
Sep 19, 2014

Well, this is a show that pretty much takes place pretty much right after the first one. I was really surprised that they felt they needed to make a second season with just how odd the fist one turned out. It just didn’t feel needed in my mind. It’s the same stuff that was going on in the first happening in the second. A little romance, Comedy, Drama… and Kaoru and Ai never seem to get a break.

Sadly, they sometimes make Kaoru seem a bit even more like a pervert then he should. I know its normal for a guy to have those thoughts but sometimes they make it out as though he has even more of a perverted mind at times. The sweet and innocence in the story messes up when they do that.

The animation is pretty nice, pretty similar to the first one. Not much to talk about in that regard. It looks like every other romantic comedy out there. Large eyes, bright colors, nice looking girls all around one normal looking guy. Each character looks exactly like the role they are supposed to match.

The dubbing is… well the same as the first again. I like that they kept it consistent but then again, they matched it way to close to the Japanese translation. Sometimes even some of the words don’t seem like they are used right.

Just because it really has not changed at all, I have to give it the same rating as I did for the first. It’s slightly bland but a good watch if you liked the first.

dadooobap's avatar
Aug 22, 2017

To start off, let me explain that if you liked the prequel a lot you probably want to watch this. If you thought the prequel was a bit boring for your taste you probably don't want to watch this. This taking care of all I have to say in terms of recomending this anime to someone, I will proceed without any regard to your potential discomfort concerning spoilers.

Let me remark that animation and sound are the same as in the prequel. The reason I'm writing this review is because I believe this anime is in a way remarkable, not necessarily in the positive sense of the word. I'm talking about the severe restrictions that genre and what one might call "anime-logic" place on the plot of this anime. In fact, these restrictions are so severe that they leave it completely devoid of any meaningfull plot. I claim that making a decent sequel was very unlikely in the first place because of this and the attempt was doomed from the start unless a radical approach to the plot choices of the prequel was taken. The rest of this review explains the above claim in detail and I would be curious what others think of it.

It is common sense that in the entertainment industry one does not mess with a working recipe, especially when it comes to sequels. This means among other things that you can't change the genre(s). The primary genres of the prequel were romance, harem and comedy. Comedy being irrelevant to what I'm going to discuss, one might say that the prequel is somewhat exceptional in that it combines romance and harem. In case you're appalled by me saying this: While fully aware that this excludes many anime listed as "romance", I consider that tag to mean that the development of a romantic relationship is depicted and not just an allusion to the possibility of one such. As the vast majority of anime is very much commited to the context of monogamous social structure, this is in contradiction with the basic idea of "harem", where either all its members appear on a more or less equal footing in a "balanced harem" or the aforementioned allusions appear, making it a "support harem" - in case you're familiar with such terminology, which I certainly feel somewhat embarrassed to catch myself using.

The combination is, needless to say, by no means unprecedented. To combine the genres there is the obvious choice of treating the harem part as actual cheating on the main love interest. An example would be Zero no Tsukaima, which strangely enough has neither genre as a tag listed on this site. Clearly many further examples using this approach can be found. In Ai Yori Aoshi the existence of a singled out main love interest is kept a secret to the rest of the harem. Off the top of my head I can't recall seeing any other ways to combine these two genres.

The existing plot recipes for romance and harem are fairly limited. Romance usually proceeds along the lines of first introducing the setting and the protagonists, letting them meet and developing the relationship. This basically either has an open ending, a breakup or an engagement as the conclusion. In very rare cases the story continues into the married life of the couple. This is the most linear possible application of the "romance" genre, which is certainly what describes Ai Yori Aoshi and cannot be changed under the basic assumptions of maintaining genre and anime logic, as already mentioned. As for harem, after introducing the setting members of the harem are continuously added while exploring their backgrounds and showing their interaction with the main character both individually as well as collectively, until the harem reaches critical mass. Interactions are limited to generic events (date, beach episode, cultural festival episode, etc.) and various problems to solve for both the entire group as well as just for the main character with one member of the harem, depending on the setting. The conclusion is almost always an open ending. Uppon critical mass any further content usually takes the form of story arcs maintaining the status quo or perhaps even leads to the anime becoming episodic.

I do think it a pitty that anime plots are restricted so much by so few genre possibilities and the overall rigidity of common clichés. The fact that it is considered a correct design choice to deliberately embrace and maintain clichés as opposed to striving for innovation and originality is part of what I call "anime logic". I wonder if one should expect anime to evolve away from this to what would  beconsidered a more sophisticated form of entertainment in the future.

Back to the topic at hand; the prequel ends in the final stage of both genres: The engagement stands and outside an Ecchi setting no further development is possible without abandoning the harem tag. The harem has critical mass and the overall setting being "slice of life" severely limits the problems that can be introduced to generate plot. This seems to disqualify the anime in terms of character development and most meaningfull plot. Of course it would still be quite easy to think of ways how interesting plot can be introduced. However, it would be unavoidable to introduce ideas not present in the prequel, which one might see as risky design choices. One might say that the harem tag wants the status quo to be maintained. No risks were taken with Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi, leaving it utterly forgettable and in my opinion extremely dull by any standards. It screams "what is there left to do?" at you almost every minute.

Since I actually watched it to the end, albeit struggling to pay attention at times, I will leave the obligatory raiting at 4. The main idea of this review was to point out the problem of genre limitations, which I have never before seen seemingly completely disqualify a sequel from the start.

Komirai's avatar
Jul 9, 2012

After loving the first season of Ai Yori Aoshi, I decided to give this second season ago. Hoping that this anime will be as good or even better than the first, I went into this anime with high expectation. Now, did this anime live up to the hype? Well lets see.

Story (4/10)
Now, the story was decent and they made the best in what they were doing but in all honesty it didn't feel like a follow on at all, I mean you get to know each characters background a little more which is always nice but you want to see more one how our two love birds are doing and are they making any progress. But in the end you actually don't really go into those two characters at all.
It was like one episode of another characters background and then another episode about them which was nice, but no consistency. Through that whole anime I was hoping that maybe in the end the two couple eventually can say something to the rest of the group otherwise it could be complicated in the future seems practically everyone loves our male protagonist, like him being accepted into the family. In the end you don't get nothing of a sort.
Also don't think your going to get the same amount of romance as you did in the last season because you won't.

Story should be more focused on the two main couple with a few other episodes about the other characters lives.
Series really let me down and just didn't feel like Ai Yori Aoshi to be fairly honest with you. It was just mostly about the others and their lives and their back story nothing more, nothing less.

Art (8/10)
Art as always was amazing. Very articulate and the characters looked amazing and what needed to be detailed was done to perfection in my eyes. In was very nice for your eyes instead of straining them, like in your face kinda thing which is smoothing.

Sound (7/10)
The sound was not as great as the first but it was still amazing. Liked the intro song but again in the first season was better because I felt like I wanted to sing to it but this one was just something nice to listen to. Also the sound effects were nice as well and also calming as they should be for this type of genre n anime.

Characters (7/10)
Characters were good, you got to know more about them which gave them a nice feeling to them, also every character felt a little different than before, but I will get to that when I talk about each character.

Kaoru Hanabishi: He is the same as he always is but there is something different about him. In this one he was alot more noticeable about things (but didn't act until it was confirmed) and was a lot more there for his partner. Also he is a lot more mature, like when it comes to his future and the one for his fiance. More of a man so thats nice there, right? I would say so, so lets continue.

Aoi Sakuraba: There is not much more to say about her seems she is basically the same as the last season. But, thats exactly it there is nothing and I wanted to know more about her to be honest. It didn't have to be about her but about the love for him, she does have this one moment when she explains why she has loved Kaoru for so long but I'm not going to go into that. Now, few other things is that the two couple are kinda annoying when they repeat the same thing when they stare at each other like 'Aoi-chan, Kaoru-sama' or something like that all the time and its repetitive and not even romantic anymore.

Tina Foster: Now I can't say much about this because it will become a spoiler but you really get to know about this character a lot more near the end when she goes into these deep talks into her past and that. You really get the field of depth of this character and really appreciate it as well, but thats what I found anyways. I will leave it at that n move on.

The rest you don't really get anything out of, the waitress you get to know about her family and what they did. But nothing else more than that really, there was nothing really added to the characters at all and it was disappointing.

Overall (6/10)
I was giving this anime a real high, expecting to see more what the couples have to offer to one another, but to basically see no real step forward in their relationship and they still have to live in secret and I was hoping maybe that will get resolved. The characters were just the same apart from Miss Tina in essence. The rest were boring because it was the same old same old. Plus what didn't help, the episodes were like this, one episode of Chika and her life with her friends to one episode about our couples through out this entire series and was just stupid nothing was really adding to the depths of this anime like it did in the first or adding on to it.

I still recommend this anime because it was still nice to watch but if you in it to see how the two lovers get on and to see if anything else happens don't bother because you will be disappointed.

I wanted to give this anime more of a better rating than I did but I just coulded because in all honesty it doesn't deserve it.

Hoped it helped you and I hope you enjoyed reading the review. - Komirai