Aho-Girl - Reviews

Kinesis9's avatar
Jun 29, 2018

Its hard to rate a show like this because it boils down to this:

If you like juxtaposition humor you will love this show.

If you dont like or dont understand juxtapositon humor you will hate it.

This show is trash, but its trash in a way that is amazingly good. The plots are super generic but told in such an over the top and spontanious manner that it takes what would be otherwise generic pure trash anime and makes it funny and amazing. If you cant appreciate taking generic trash then spontaniously turning it on its head then you will just see this show as trash.

The key to good juxtaposition humor is not just random humor, but well timed and well associated humor. Random for random sake rarely works but what Aho-Girl excels at is making a random that is just planned enough that it is both funny and weird at the same time. Juxtaposition humor is hard to master, but Aho-Girl is an anime that shows just how it its done. You need no more proof then to watch its ever changing openings to see how it turns the mundane into unexpected.

halochan's avatar
Feb 23, 2018

Aho-girl is a comedy, a hilarious comedy.

Yoshiko is a beyond help idiot who has no hope in the future thus staying alongside her childhood friend "A-kun" Akuru Akutsu.

Yoshiko is an example of what society doesn't want you to be, a banana obsessed idiot. I find her shenanigans hilarious, it is supposed to be a comedy after all. I Yoshiko is unpredictable which makes it even funnier since you never know what she will do.

Akutsu has no choice but to put up with Yoshiko and try to shape her into a human capable of going out to society. I see Aho-girl as a great "easy to binge watch" anime plus if you're looking for some good comedy, Aho-girl will surely do the thing.

MangaLifer4Ever's avatar
Jan 8, 2018

I watched this expecting pure comedy and what i got was pure comedy! This show did what was expected and was enjoyable. There was no legit storyline but there where certain things that stuck throughout the whole series giving some resemblance to a storyline. The art I felt was amazing I loved the art and it helped keep me watching, I felt the characters could have been better developed but otherwise the characters where not bad and this show was overall really good for what was expected of it.

Kuyosaki's avatar
Jul 10, 2017

Glad to join the reviewers who have nothing to say other than "funny", there is a comment section for that.

If anyone is looking for an actual review...

Aho Girl is a show featuring Yoshiko, a girl with IQ less than a monkey's and A-kun a straight-man guy (trope not sexuality) of which we never have enough of (ey shinpachi).

A-kun is always taking care of Yoshiko despite her crazyness and overall idiocy.

The premise is fun but, not sure if it's just not my cup of banana but Yoshiko is more annoying than funny, her overreactions are more of a reason to punch the screen rather than to bathe it in saliva from laughing.

Another annoying thing which is probably the total mood killer for me, is A-kun's overuse of the word Aho when adressing Yoshiko.

You ever get that cringe-ish feeling when they use the title of the work in dialogue when refering to a core element? This is exactly it, just more forced and overused.

But, it is certainly not garbage. The character interactions are funny, we get a lot of them played out like we never would have guessed in this... spineless and dense main character world.

P.S. Oh boy can't wait till the tsundere joins in. (/sarcasm)

Ryukami's avatar
Mar 10, 2018

Stupid girl, stupid show, stupid fun.

Yoshiko is so dumb it's not even funny and the reactions and interactions of the other characters make this show watchable.

Dogo is best character and best girl doesn't even get a name and is just called Fuuki Iinchou = Morals commitee president... :(

Thoughts: Story is ok, Animation is good and the motorbike scene is especially memorable, Sound is good and Characters aside from Yoshiko are fun and nice.