Aho-Girl

Add review
Kuyosaki's avatar
Jul 10, 2017

Glad to join the reviewers who have nothing to say other than "funny", there is a comment section for that.

If anyone is looking for an actual review...

Aho Girl is a show featuring Yoshiko, a girl with IQ less than a monkey's and A-kun a straight-man guy (trope not sexuality) of which we never have enough of (ey shinpachi).

A-kun is always taking care of Yoshiko despite her crazyness and overall idiocy.

The premise is fun but, not sure if it's just not my cup of banana but Yoshiko is more annoying than funny, her overreactions are more of a reason to punch the screen rather than to bathe it in saliva from laughing.

Another annoying thing which is probably the total mood killer for me, is A-kun's overuse of the word Aho when adressing Yoshiko.

You ever get that cringe-ish feeling when they use the title of the work in dialogue when refering to a core element? This is exactly it, just more forced and overused.

But, it is certainly not garbage. The character interactions are funny, we get a lot of them played out like we never would have guessed in this... spineless and dense main character world.

P.S. Oh boy can't wait till the tsundere joins in. (/sarcasm)

avatar6's avatar
Jul 26, 2017

As of episode 4:

Humor: While keeping with the tried and true anti-sexual straight man + wacky pervy girl 4-koma high school formula, Aho Girl keeps the gags fresh enough to keep you entertained, but may feel a bit cringy for some due to the occasional immature jokes. It's one of those anime that you will have a hard time defending (as I have here), but if you're like me you'll still keep on looking forward to the next episode's release.

Characters: The cast is likeable enough and unique enough to keep you engaged, but so far they are pretty flat. Don't expect a deep character-driven story out of this one.

Honestly though, i think if you watch to about 4:18 in the first episode you'll know whether you'll like it or not. (or watch till 5:30 to meet the best character Yoehiko's mom - "chirda")

Varagauzer's avatar
Aug 24, 2017

Based on 8 episodes

Just by reading the description of this show you should be aware of what you are getting into, its a show not ment to be taken seriously it only exists so you can have a good laugh. The entire strength of this show comes from its comedy and that's my problem here, the comedy is mostly a hit or miss.

Each episode is divided into several gags, now I laughed my ass of at the first 2 episodes but after that a lot of the jokes felt a bit repetitive with only a few new and good jokes coming along once in a while, as the episodes increased my boredom also increased. Yoshiko's stupidity was always used as a silly excuse as a joke but it became so stale after a while.

The characters themselves are pretty one-dimensional, they exist purely to set up a joke and it completely backfires when the jokes fail.

The voice acting however is excellent Yoshiko is voiced by Yuuki Aoi a very talented voice actress and she really brings Yoshiko to life with all the screaming some people may find this annoying, it didnt bother me. A-kun is voiced by the legendary Sugita Tomokazu, yes it is Gintoki. The supporting characters also have great voice acting as well.

Yes I am actually reccomending you watch this show, its medicore (hence the 5/10) but there are genuinely some good jokes.

SMores's avatar
Sep 3, 2017

If you watch Aho Girl, be prepared to laugh out loud...  occasionally.  It's by no means a terrible comedy, but there are a lot of better ones out there.  Aho Girl's main problem is consistancy, but when it's at its best is can be absolutely hilarious.

Story 14/10

Story?  Yeah, it doesn't have one of those.  Although that's not exactly uncommon with a show that's a series of shorts like this.  The premise is that the main girl is an idiot and the main guy is an a**hole.  Hilarity ensues.  Or at least it's supposed to.  Nine episodes in, and I've been annoyed almost as often as I've been amused.  Much of the comedy relies on panties, boobs and yelling, "Aho!" and none of these moments are even remotely funny.  The facial expressions and non-"Aho!" reactions, on the other hand, are often absolutely hilarious.

The episodes themselves are short, and each contains three or four bits.  If the scene you're watching isn't all that funny, well, the next one isn't far behind.  It's like watching a hit or miss sketch comedy show.  I felt that there were more misses in the earlier episodes, while the later ones (after characters were established) had a lot more hits.

Animation 9/10

I'm grading the animation on a curve here.  It's quite good compared to other shows with this format, but obviously falls well short of higher budget, story driven anime.  The sight gags were often funnier than the dialogue, so it's got that going for it.  Most of all, the facial expressions will make you want to add Aho Girl screenshots to your forum post meme library.

Sound 7/10

The SFX were pretty standard, though occasionally over the top.  As for the OP, I usually skip those, but I watched it each time.  Mostly because they change the animation each episode, but the song is upbeat, and sounds like it would be funny if I knew what they were saying other than just, "Banana."  As for the voice acting...  I'm not sure how to score this.  The voice acting is great for most of the side characters, but the two main characters spend the bulk of each episode yelling like and idiot (Aho Girl) or yelling like a crazy person (Ahole Guy).  It really started to grate on my nerves.

Characters 8/10

Since it doesn't rely on story, all of the comedy depends on the characters.  Here they had great success with the side characters, particularly Aho Girl's mom and George Inu.  As for the main characters...  Not so much.  Aho Girl and Ahole Guy provide the setup for each bit, but all of the comedy comes from the side characters.  Segments that feature the MCs without the aid of likable characters are easily the weakest, as they devolve into shouting matches with large volumes of physical abuse.  Because we all know how funny it is to punch a girl so hard that she smashes into a nearby lampost, right?  ... Right?

In fairness to AHole Guy, I'd probably be driven to physical violence if I had to put up with that chick for years, but that doesn't make the screaming, denigration or physical abuse funny.  It just makes me dislike the main characters even more.

Aho Girl does much better in bits where she interacts with anone but Ahole Guy, and is at her best when she's being an idiot without having to say anything.

Overall 7/10

Overall, you could take or leave this anime.  If you have 30 minutes to kill, check out a couple of episodes.  Two episodes should contain 6 to 8 bits, which will be plenty enough to decide if you want to watch more.  You're not going to wait with bated breath for the next episode to air, but it's not the worst way to waste some free time, and there are a few scenes that made me laugh out loud, rewind a bit, then laugh at it again.

BTnutsquash's avatar
Jul 21, 2018

BEST COMEDY EVER. ITS A COMEDY THAT WILL ACTUALLY MAKE YOU LAUGH, I'M NOT EVEN LYING.