Aggressive Retsuko

Alt title: Aggretsuko

Add review
Kari5's avatar
Dec 18, 2016

Aggressive Retsuko is a very interesting and fun show. For a show with such a simple premise, it's surprising how fun, entertaining, and relatable it is. It's a must-watch for adults! I honestly look forward to this series every week. Its biggest flaw would be the repetitiveness of the episodes, there are over 50, which should have ended before it got too stale.

This show is a comedic short form anime that is only one minute in length. It is about Retsuko, a red panda who works in accounting, and her frustrations with her job and co-workers. Other than the fact each character is an animal, the setting and scenarios are pretty realistic and relatable.

Retsuko works very hard for her taxing job, but things don't always go her way. When she gets angry, she turns from a cute employee into a furious animal. She urupts and screams in frustration about the things/people she is angry about, with heavy metal music/voice to emphasize her anger. It then cuts back to her, revealing her outburst was only in her head. This is funny, because this has probably happened to most of us at work already. We would love to yell at our bosses and co-workers for various reasons, but we hold back, smile, and say 'yes sir'.

Each episode is very similar.  Simple senario-->someone/something upsets Retsuko who explodes-->she calms down and deals with the situation as rationally as she can. While I enjoy watching the episodes (the length is a huge advantage), the episodes are a bit repetative. And we rarely get to see any sort of resolution or revenge for poor Retsuko.

Again, the best part of this show is how relatable it is. The characters are all individuals we might see at our own jobs that frustrate us. It makes us really feel for Retsuko, as we've also had to deal with bad co-workers. They cover many types; those who spend too much time chatting, those who don't do their work, bosses who dump work on you, and various types of annoying people. They also find ways to annoy her outside of work!

The downside is these characters are a bit two-dimensional and repetative.

Overall

Luckily, because the episodes are only a minute, things don't get too dull. If the episodes were any longer, I don't think I could recommend this. While the rating is a bit low due to the lack of originality in many epsiodes, overally I enjoy this show and I would recommend it to almost anyone. It's fun to watch and it's comforting to see someone else blow off some steam.

I highly recommend anyone who reads to this give Agressive Retsuko a try. It's so short, it won't waste your time, even if you decide you don't like it.

Angry Retsuko

6.5/10 story
7.5/10 characters
GLAPHORDESA's avatar
Dec 25, 2018

While there isn't too much that's extraordinary or above average about Aggretsuko's plot, this show certainly makes up for that with its unforgettable and hilarious characters.

You may be thinking, "animals with office jobs isn't an interesting concept, and one of them singing death metal is new but what else is there?" if you're thinking that, I advise you to nut up and get some darn creativity. Sanrio and its writers certainly know what they're doing with this show, and it shows. Not a single episode goes by without a good joke or something that's relatable to anyone who's had to work or had to deal with crappy co-workers. Not only that, but the show surprisingly keeps a lot of suspense going as to what's going to happen next, what will happen to who, and it deeply humanizes almost all of the characters that show up.

However, if you're looking for plot akin to Evangelion or Madoka Magica, I'd keep looking. This is meant as a light-hearted, slice-of-life, comedy for those looking for something to cheer them up.

All in all, I'd still recommend this to most!

senpaidev's avatar
Aug 15, 2017

Aggressive Retsuko, is an amazing series and I've been watching it from the first episode. Can't believe there are over 70 episodes now. The shorts are fun to watch and the meltdown parts are something I look forward to everytime. The events in the episode are very relatable and the heavy metal like meltdown is fu**in awesome. Though the events can get a bit repetitive if you binge watch it, they are kinda cool and enjoyable. The characters are very cute and often nail their respective stereotypes. Looking forward to more episodes from this cute and short series.

BlackBrain's avatar
Apr 11, 2016

So far I've only seen two episodes, I find it very cute and pretty funny,can't wait to see more.