Actually, I Am… - Reviews

Alt titles: Jitsu wa Watashi wa, My Monster Secret

5150x3's avatar
Mar 7, 2021

This anime has received quite a few poor reviews because "it's been done before". I don't believe that's a valid reason to knock a show.

I like pizza, particularly pepperoni and mushroom. I order that type from just about any pizza place I eat at, and as long as it's tasty I'm happy. Maybe the sauce or the crust are different at all of them, but they're all pretty similar. Nevertheless, I like them as long as they taste good. I would never complain about a new restaurant that made pizza that tasted somewhat close to other pizzas that have already been done before.

Complaining that a show is similar to many others that have come before makes no sense. As long as it's fun what else matters?

So, setting aside the silly grumbling about how it's been done before, the show is pretty good. There isn't a lot to the story, but it's fairly well written. It's labelled as a harem, but that's stretching it. It's really just 2 girls. There are complaints about ecchi, but it's barely there - a couple cleavage shots. The characters are cute and enjoyable to watch, but if you see a lot of anime you'll probably forget all of them in 5 or 6 months.

Anyway, if you're looking for something that's sort of comedy, sort of romance, sort of harem and don't demand that the show be in the top 500, you might enjoy this. Although I won't watch it again, I'm definitely glad I watched it once.

WinnifredArtemis's avatar
Dec 24, 2017

This Anime is a good show for watching while relaxing. The show itself is has a very light feel to it, and it is easy to follow the story line. The opening and ending theme were good, and the after credits were interesting to watch. My issue with the show was that the story didn't move too much in any direction, and I feel that, although it is not a story based show, it could have done a little more about it. Many of the characters were enjoyable, but they followed the steriotypes a bit too much for my liking - espesially a few of the characters.

All in all, I do recommend watching this for just having a good time.

[ Secret Santa Review ]

Epimondas's avatar
Feb 6, 2017

Jitsu is a pretty good love story.  It has a varied pace that is sometimes a bit too slow and pretty much every character save maybe one or two are total idiots.   On the one hand, it is refreshing that neither of the two main characters are the class president and ace student of the school, but on the other almost all the characters are so dense, stupid, foolish, or awkward you might end up wondering if things for any of them will ever progress in a positive direction.  Youko is dense and not very bright.  Even when her own feelings scream at her about what she wants, she either ignores them or misinterprets them as something totally unrelated.  Asahi is supposedly too honest as well as a total whimp when it comes to talking to girls or if he does he gets so anxious he screws things up.  That doesn't really change even when his love for someone is actually serious.  He is too clueless and wussy to reveal how he feels.  Everyone, even though most are lacking wit, finds both their attractions to each other quite obvious, the only ones oblivious are the two in love.  While that can be a cute and charming aspect of a love story, it gets a bit frustrating when the doubt is dragged on so long and/or never actually resolved.  The story puts so many doubts and obstacles in the way it actually starts to drag on the show and slow it down.  Shiho's character is solid in her original form but her transformation form gets a wee bit underused and virtually vanishes for the second half of the series.  This makes her character seem forgotten about or inadequately used though her lecherousness seems to know no bounds or genders which helps to keep her dual nature somewhat alive.  Aizawa is the last girl who outright rejected Asahi then she begins to doubt herself or double back on her rejection but the reasoning is a bit suspect for two reasons.  He is the only one who finds out what she wants kept secret but at the same time that is the main reason she has doubts about her rejection so it doesn't feel legit.  She never gave anyone else the chance to be ok with that secret yet keeps it a secret so no one finds out and puts herself into the position of her concern.  It is like a catch 22 that she does to herself.  Therefore, you might wonder if anything about her feelings are quite what she thinks they are or may doubt them or how strong they are.

Mikan has her own secret but that is also a bit under used though not as much as that of Shiho's.  Mikan may have the same kind of issue as Aizawa and misunderstand her own sentiments due to one gesture, that is what is implied and no strong connection really beyond that and a child hood friendship are explored which leaves some doubt that it was ever much to begin with in the eyes of the writers.  Akane and Akari are a comedy duo and might make you wonder what else is in the school after meeting them.  For someone as experienced and long lived as Akane is she often acts childish well below her years to the point it seems like her brain never matured much beyond how old she looks.  Akari for the most part is the most intelligent character but falls to the atypical stereotype loner desparate woman missing love though it is somewhat hidden at times.  Akane is a perfect example of stupid, since she has a great deal of power but often makes the simplest of mistakes that unravel her schemes which if she were actually either intelligent or mature as she should be by her experience, she would never do.

At least one of Asahi's friends, Okada, is somewhat intelligent but since he and all his guy friends are little more than minor support characters you never hear much about or get very deeply involved in the story, it is hard to say for certain.  Shimada, the only one as perverted or more so than Shiho is a bit cliched.  He is alot like the character from Clannad for example, aka the short guy who is a lewd pervert constantly harrassing girls or at least one girl.  Art is slightly above average and though there is a bit of a frog face element the skillful expressions on the characters helps to make up for lost ground.  Characters are a bit too much alike in the way they are too dense or cowardly to see or say what is obvious.  However, they are not quite the most cliched cast either since none are the class aces or number one power in the school.   Voices fit the characters pretty well and highlight moods and expressions well.  Background sounds were few but adequate yet still lacked a few ordinary background noises.  The story was a nice spin to some common themes yet the pacing and characters' lack of ability to express themselves is a tad snail paced and frustrating.

Jitsu has a pleasant psuedo love story (cause it is cast in constant doubt and never gets very far) but a lacksadasale pace with characters often too blind to see what is in front of them and despite the supernatural element, no one is brave enough to point those things out.

6.8/10 story
6.5/10 animation
7.8/10 characters
7.3/10 overall
zephyrre's avatar
Oct 8, 2015

Jitsu wa is a mediocre anime. You might not think so at first: you might think that it's actually something special, as I myself did, drawn in by the comedy, nice animation and good songs, and even after the bland ecchi filler starts to creep (read: rush) in, even after you've heard the two "this is an emotional scene" songs ad nauseam, you might, as I did, hold on to your hope that the snippets of character development and drama the show gives you every once in a while might actually turn in to something. But you, as I, would be wrong. This anime is based on a manga, and the hum-drum, status-quo story of that manga hangs around this anime's neck like a millstone, dragging it to the bottom of a sea of similar shows. Were it not for that, this anime might have been good, but as it is, you can pretty much just stop watching at any time and not have missed anything. And one of the best places to stop watching this anime is before you even start.

5.5/10 overall
Lennon's avatar
Oct 9, 2015

I love this anime! It's story is very similar to "Romario + Vampire" but that's not a bad thing! I loved that anime, and in fact that was my first anime! The characters are very lovable and are amazing! I love the art style, animation, and everything! This is probably my favourite comedy anime! I hope there's going to be a second season! c: