Ace of the Diamond

Alt title: Diamond no Ace

Add review
muistaa's avatar
Feb 21, 2018

okay so, i'm gonna have to divide this review between two distinctions: how good this anime is and how much i enjoyed it, because sadly in this case those are two distinct fields. let it be stated for the record that dna ranks on my top ten favorites list, maybe top five if i really think about it, solely based on my level of enjoyment. this review will focus more on an unbiased evaluation of the quality of this show

technically speaking, this anime is heavily lacking in one very important thing: visual appeal. the animation is mediocre at best, though i understand that in order to produce consistent episodes at the rate they were at the time for the like, 70+ they had, they had to make some sacrifices. still, i feel like the show could have capitalized on its timing better and created better visual content. i honestly felt like i was watching a slideshow half the time. the characters were almost always standing still when they weren't hitting/throwing a ball (even then, those were mostly just still images with some lines to indicate intense movement) or running. i felt like the most camera movement we ever got was a powerpoint transition pan across a field of still characters at like ten frames per second. so basically, to summarize, the animation in daiya no ace is shit.

i don't really pay as much attention to sound as i should in animes, so my opinion here is limited. i'm pretty easy to satisfy in this regard, so the basic sound effects were done well enough and the music was always distinctly befitting the mood and the voice acting left nothing to be desired, in my opinion.

the story's... tricky to describe. like obviously it's sports and we wanna go to nationals and the seniors are graduating and the main character needs to Get Gud Fast, but there's just so much in between all of that and i honestly can't really complain much about it. it lends itself to the character development of this show, which is honestly the Sole Redeeming Factor of this otherwise average show. but anyway, while the show is just a constant oscillation between games and practice and the rare chill episode, it seldom feels redundant. there's always a new character to focus on, or a new pitch to be learned, or a new fielding trick someone's gonna try, or an injury or enemy or something, so while the entire focus is literally just baseball and you know by the amount of episodes that they win a solid amount of times, you still end up at the edge of your seat for every play because there's always something new to look forward to.

the characters are what really make the show worth its salt. the main character is kind of an annoying, emotional, "my entire life is baseball even tho i kinda suck" kind of twat that i honestly still don't find very enjoyable, but at least his character isn't only prescribed to that narrow trope. his flaws overwhelm his virtues at first, but as the story progresses he's shaped into something far more complex and, dare i say, interesting. i've always been notorious for falling in love with side characters though, if you can really call anyone on the main team that, so let me sprinkle in a little bit of my favs in here. the thing that i think makes daiya actually not a shitty anime is that it takes basic character tropes and expands on them in an interesting, diverse way so that every character has his own individual "voice," so to speak. for example, there's a "shy, humble little brother" kid that's friends with mc, but that base set of traits is developed into something more like "a shy, humble little bro that is in no way lacking in self confidence, is assertive and direct and keeps people in line while simultaneously being constantly considerate of others and maintaining a carefully balanced image of absolutely sweet and cruel as hell". i could probably spend hours doing this for like 30 different characters but ill summarize with this: the characters and their developmental arcs are pretty much the only thing i watch the show for, and they are absolutely worth your time.

so yeah good eats my friends see you on the flipside

arkfa's avatar
Jul 3, 2014

Before you jump at my throat asking why i havent given this absolutely amazing anime >9.5,its because of a personal shortcoming which indirectly or directly affected my enjoyment of the anime.

I have only watched two sports anime so far,both of them are easily the best animes i have ever seen.But i feel that Ace goes higher than Kuroko's basket simply because the story has the balanced feeling to it.In Ace you dont have very powerful characters like in most shounen which distinguishes it from Kuroko,which for me is a plus point.

I highly recommend watching this.Its has the most exhaustive character development,and ample time is distrubuted to majority of the cast.There are emotional moments which makes you feel what the characters are feeling.The story isnt dramatic but its simplicity and the fact that it is so well executed makes you glued to it.

The animation isnt glossy but rough,which gives it a sporty flair.

The sound is amazing,great OST.

Coming to the part where i gave them 8.5,its simply because it is about a sport that i have never played or have knowledge about.Baseball has so many terminology that i have to look it up at wiki everytime something new comes up in the anime.To those familiar with baseball,it wouldnt be a challenge but for me it sure was.I would go as far to say that  sometimes i get confused about baseball,even though i have read about it after watching the anime.

mynameisguess's avatar
Dec 5, 2015

Story follows Sawamura Eijun as he matures into a "awesome and realiable" pitcher for the Seido High School baseball team. So its a normal baseball anime that has traninning and matches but the thing I like about this it that it is moving and its kinda of realistic. Usually for most sport animes they keep the core characters even though they are suppose to "graduate" end of season. (SPOILERS AHEAD!) But this the 3rd years do really "move on" and they introduce new characters. The introducing of new characters is more on the season 2 but at the end of the season it shows how the new team forms.

The animation was a bit weird at times...rare though. But I liked it in general. I also liked the captions of emotions they inserted just like in the manga, made the characters more fun.

The sound was also pretty good overall and they had a few good opening and ending themes.

But my favourite part was the characters!! The characters sometimes make me watch an anime even though I might hate the story, not that I hate this story. The main guy feels really real. He is not the typicall cool and awesome main guy. He is weird, clumsy, funny, and not really protagonist material. But i just totally love him. Also I love the interactions between him and the other characters.

In all I would really recommend this if you want to watch a long, funny, good sports anime!

yoshina's avatar
Sep 28, 2015

Thus far, one of the best sports animes I have had the pleasure in watching. One of the biggest strength of Ace Of Diamond is the variety of interesting characters and how much time is being spent developing the characters aside from the main character, Sawamura. It's an enjoyable anime I would highly recommend.

Halex's avatar
Sep 15, 2019

This is a notable mention and a difficult show to rate. This show may only appeal to Baseball fans or people who really enjoy sports anime. The story is repetitive of other sports shows about going to The Nationals, however, this show offers the view from the perspective of one of those powerhouses where students live and have at their disposal all the equipment they need, they have to compete for their position on the team with other 2-4 students, the coach takes them out of play with 1-2 errors, etc. Usually, sports shows focus on the underdog team with no resources, so seeing the perspective from one of these powerful teams that often comes as the antagonist in other animes is a welcome view that no other show has done this well.

Unfortunately, the animation is lacking a lot, despite this show being animated by MadHouse, is very low budget, employing mostly panned still frames, lines to imply movement and no movement on backgrounds. On the other hand, the story is able to continue beyond the point other sport shows usually end.

Regarding the story, despite being similar to all other team sports shows, it has creative and realistic plays and great character development, you get to know some really intense characters with valuable insights that make them either succeed or fail at their game.

The voice actors also deserve praise for keeping the flow of the story going despite the lack of animation.

Overall the show is worth your while if you have an interest in sports, especially Baseball. Still, you may want to give it a try for a few episodes to see if they caught your attention, the pacing and progression of the story won't change much of what you see in the beginning so watching the first arc will give you enough of a glimpse to decide if you want to keep going or not.