Accel World Movie: Infinite Burst - Reviews

mprecilio98's avatar
Aug 21, 2016

I really enjoyed the first season of accel world and the specials and OVAs. I was so bummed it didnt continue! I just got on and saw there was a new movie out and had to watch it! Saddly, I have not found a subbed version yet and had to watch it with chinese sub (cant read chinese). When watching, I only understood about 20-30% of what was being said, enough to piece together most of the conversation. The movie starts with 30+mins of recap (the movies is only 1 1/2 hrs). The animations look better than the original in my opinion, however I did like the original.As for the story, it doesnt really follow the same sorry as the original, and there are a few major differences that surprised me like the the girl in the wheel chair could walk! (that may have been in the originls or specials, but I dont remember it). ANyways, great movie in general, definately recommend!

Inu230's avatar
Apr 30, 2019

Disclaimer: Watched English Dubbed Version*

Let's recap and recap some more.

Really is there anything as boring as watching the same thing over and over again? Sure there are things that don't loose their appeal but sitting through a narration of a story one has already watched 24 episodes of has got to fall under the definition of insanity.

Is there anything more upsetting then expecting a continuation, a side-story, a back-story, a something that adds and getting a plain recap? Perhaps famine, war, face-plants, wedgies ... there may be a list that rivals the prevalence of recaps in anime but the disappointment is none-the-less present.

Especially if you watch the movie soon after finishing the 24th episode, as this reviewer did.

---

If viewers are to "aim for the sky"* alongside Haru, Chiyuri, Kuroyukihime, Takumu and the others then they should be given something with value to give them wings.

If you're thinking there is something somewhere in this, an Easter egg or a new perspective on something, then your expectations will not be met.

While this movie does focus on the highlights of the series its nothing that couldn't be seen by watching the series and remains something that people who like condescend stories would rate high.

Everyone else would be better off skipping it though some may find it worthwhile as a refresher should a second season be created.

DeaAura's avatar
Feb 26, 2017

ITS A GIANT SPOILER OF SEASON 2, its a season 1 & 2  RECAP!!

The first half hour of this "movie" is a recap of season one.  Then it goes into a fast forwarded recap of season 2.... that's not out yet.  Many new chacters and it goes very fast, with lots of plot holes.  You can get the just of what is happening but it leaves so so much out that it leaves tons of questions.

JustInCaseD's avatar
Nov 8, 2021

The first 38 minutes of this 120 minute production is purely a recap of season 1 - and even as a recap episode it still wouldn't be considered good, because after effectively recapping and explaining the first 2/3's of the season, they completely skim over the last third and climax because they probably realized that if they did that there would be no time for the actual New material to be added.

And speaking of new material, once you finally get through (or skip) the 38 minutes of recap, you get a very rushed production of what could've been a very good movie with solid buildup, drama, and development and is replaced with this... very, very rushed version that is mostly consistent of a initial fight, a travel montage, and then a final boss fight with every known character in the series showing up at once out of nowhere to climax very rapidly out the blue. This also apparently takes place several novels after where the anime leaves off, skipping a large portion of events that happened in the light novels that we didn't get to in the anime, so we she this host of new characters here out of nowhere and have no clue who they are (like the white haired lady whose seemingly attatched to the MC for some reason). They had a time skip with no explanation, every anime fan's favorite thing /s

This "movie" is just a long recap episode (that even fails in that regard due to not even being a complete recap) taking up half the runtime, while the other half is just an extended OVA. If you took the 2nd half by itself and left it as an extended OVA I could've given it a 6/10, the fight scenes and animation was really good looking. But suffering through the first half and then having the rest of the production rush through due to time constraints really holds this back, and then the time gap with no characters and no explanation is the cherry on top this travesty of 2 completely seperate OVAs trying to pass off as a film. This is so horribly executed that I will be using it as the go-to example of how to screw up every element of making a adequate movie.

TLDR; half of this is an incomplete recap of the first season, and the second half is the "movie" (which is around 40 minutes long after taking out the recap and excluding the credits). There's also a missing gap of events that took place here that were in the light novels and not the anime, so you will be confused by new characters fatured in here with no explanation or introduction. Should've been made into 2 or 3 seperate OVA's, but here we are. Start around 38 minutes in if you want to avoid sitting through the recap and just get to the new stuff, and unless you're a light novel reader good luck trying to figure out where the story is.

3.5/10 overall