A Town Where You Live: Tasogare Kousaten - Reviews

Alt title: Kimi no Iru Machi: Tasogare Kousaten

snivets's avatar
Jun 20, 2012

As far as two episode romance OVAs go, this one was not bad.

Story: It was fairly typical. Girl moves to remote town. Boy falls in love with girl. They go out. She has to go back to Tokyo. Well--that's the basic back story, which we get flashbacks to during the "real" story, which is that boy is on a school trip to Tokyo and is trying to meet up with girl. Unusual for an OVA, there's a lot of meat in the story here, including boy's previous romance with another girl from the same small town, as well as main girl's family issues. What could've been melodramatic (a la True Tears) wasn't, instead it came off as a rather positive story about two kids with very deep feelings for each other trying to make their long-distance relationship work.

Animation: Gorgeous. I really liked the train station parts, as well as the snowy field parts.

Characters: Again, with all the space of 50 minutes, these characters manage to be properly complex. There's not a lot of development, but you get a good sense of their hopes, dreams, and fears, as well as a good sense of their relationships with each other. AND the couple seems to have pretty good communication with each other, which is also unusual for the romance genre.

Overall: Not a waste of time if you like romances. It gets props for a hopeful ending, as well as for a fairly complex male lead who has (gasp) emotions. The animation was pretty as well.

6.5/10 story
8.5/10 animation
Ka0nonymous's avatar
May 8, 2013

Nothing's perfect. The story was good but for those waiting for the actual series this is a massive spoiler, personally I don't mind. It was fairly romantic which isn't my favourite genre but it was good. The animation was better than most anime and considering I judge anime by its art, it was good enough to watch. There weren't many tracks in the anime so there wasn't much to go wrong in the sound. The characters were good, the opposing characters were good for their parts as well, I mean nobody's perfect. Overall I give a 9 which may or may not be generous but considering that I am easily pleased it was bound to get high results.