A Sister's All You Need - Reviews

Alt title: Imouto sae Ireba Ii.

Justhappydog's avatar
Dec 24, 2017

Even though the title suggests that this is an incest, sister-obsessed Eromanga 2.0 but no, it's not. This anime is totally different. Most of the people must've put this anime on their "Won't Watch" list just by reading the title, but if you have reached till the reviews to check out if this is actually an incest anime, then you've done a good job. This anime is NOT INCEST. Its just that the main protagonist, who is also a light novel author, is a siscon. but fortunately he doesn't have a sister. Throughout the series, he just fantasies about his imaginary little sister, and write it as a novel.
This anime is a mixture of slice-of-life, comedy, a little romance and...... ECHII. No no, not little sisters nor underaged girls saying "I love dicks" casually. All the characters are adults except the protagonist's brother who is a high schooler. The adults are like, naked sometimes (ofc girls only) and their excuse is "I can't write unless I'm naked~ Pehe~!"

This might be your favourite anime of all time, or just an average anime passing through, but believe me, just give a try.

Story (8/10)
This anime is about some light novel authors, how they live their daily life with their own difficulties and happiness.
The story was beautifully presented. This is one things i like about light novels, is that the whole series is based on how they present the story in mere words. It is really intriguing -every episodes ends in a cliffhanger- and makes you eager what happens next. All is interesting but, there were a lot of board games, which are just games and nothing else. No progression, just like a filler.

Animation & Sound (7/10 & 7/10)
Nothing much in this area. The OP and ED were really good and i never skipped them. The BGMs were ok too. But i really like the Voice acting of the characters, they were well done.

Characters (9/10)
The whole anime revolves around the characters, and heavily depends upon them. The story moves forward as characters develop. No characters are left out, everyone gets their time to present themselves to the viewers. The interactions between the characters is what makes the comedy and the story moving.

Overall (7.8/10)
This is nice, chilling and relaxing to watch. The BGMs and the characters set off a nice chill mood, accompanied by the low contrast animation. If you like slice-of-life comedy about light novel authors with some pinch of romance in it, then you should try this.
ALSO PLEASE, PLEASE SKIP THE FIRST 3 MINUTES OF THE FIRST EPISODE.

If you're piqued, then ill tell you why.

NOT SO HUGE SPOILER, but hey its my job to say it.
They just show a story he wrote about two siblings (a bro and a sis) with his weird imouto fetishes. A little hint : the lil sis will be fully naked in the whole scene and the bro uses her bra like a towel after bathing and eats her used panties (not joking here)

7.8/10 overall
xdavidx3's avatar
Jan 10, 2018

Don't listen to the other reviews. Watch it for yourself and see if you like it or not. In my opinion, a solid show that's underated.

InSonicBloom's avatar
Jul 8, 2020

>I watched the English dub so my "review" is based on that. unfortunately my days of reading subtitles ended when I lost the sight in one of my eyes.

>I can't believe I'm saying this, but this anime was let down by the ecchi stuff. obviously I'm not against ecchi, in fact I like a bit of ecchi stuff however when it happened in this anime it just seemed out of place, almost like the scenes were added at random just to fill time and the way the first episode opened up made me wonder if I had accidentally stumbled onto hentai. but even so, it still scored highly for me.

>that said; it's a fantastic slice of life story about being a writer, the accountant is funny as hell when she goes through the MCs erotic manga/LNs/games etc. reading out the very specific titles like "fuck a sis" and then asks him what the games are about to embarrass him.

>the main "love interest" is also very crude and funny because of it, but at the end does something extremely sweet for the MC.

>sorry that the review is a bit shit but I just wanted to say that it's much better than sounds.

8.8/10 overall
Zed's avatar
Oct 24, 2017

i ain't a fan of light novels, i'd rather stay clear of them, especially if they had the word "sister" in the title, i'd avoid it like the plague, just by reading that word in the title, i can imagine what it'll be about, a sleazy deviant incestuous fan service-ish fantasy, which is something quite common in LNs.

why do such shows fail miserably most of the time? because the sister is fetishised, and the subject and the themes of the incest relationships are never explored in a mature or a meaningful way. to my surprise, the show didn't have actual incest, instead of that it just has a light novel author with extreme levels of perversion who loves to write incesteous fantasies. jee, it's light novel trash about light novels, LIGHT NOVEL-CEPTION . it can never get cringier than this.

But wait, it sure can! The first three minutes of the episode were showing what kind of story our author is writing, and it's seriously fucked up, whoever wrote this thought it was a good idea to have a strong first impression on the audience, but the result is so creepy it ends up having the opposite effect. You can say it's a joke with the purpose of showing how crazy the protagonist's way of thinking, or how much he takes his little sister fetish. But here is the thing, if it was a joke then nobody is laughing, it's pure cringe. And anybody is excused for dropping the show after it, Even if the show wasn't really about that.

The show is mostly a comedy focusing on sex jokes and deviant sister fetishes jokes. i'd be fine with the show if that's what it was about, Haganai is another light novel adaption by the same author, and it's mainly harem/ecchi comedy. it's not only about that, it's also trying to have an insight into the light novel publishing industry, something that would be great if the show was more serious about it, but it's not because it's more focused in the comedy.

a thing that i appreciate from this show is having adult protagonists and no school settings, it makes for a fresh experience in a Copy-paste medium, where every show is following the same formulas without adding to them. The characters arem't just one note archetypes, they have their own internal struggles and conflicts. But the problem is that the show's mood keeps swinging too much, and with them constantly used for fan service and sex jokes, it's hard to take them seriously. you might say that the presentation is just optimistic, if it was realistic and focused it would be depressing and boring. here is the thing, there is a difference between light and humarous, and between cringy and stupid.

Another positive is the decent production values, the show looks and sounds great. And that's all the positive that I can say about it. it's not exactly a bad show, but with terrible first impressions, so many tonal shifts, and tons of fan service, the negative ended up overshadowing the positive, and it made it so it can never be taken seriously, while still trying to take itself seriously, so i can't say it's more than average.

4.5/10 overall
coletch21's avatar
Feb 3, 2019

So this is my first review of an anime after having watched a lot of it but I felt like I needed to write one here because I feel like this show gets the short end of the stick. I think the two types of people who generally review this show are 1) The people who are pissed because they came expecting incest and fan service galore and all they wanted was T&A and 2) The people who were turned off by just the idea that this show was about incest and fan service AKA those who saw the first couple minutes and got the heck out. Don't get me wrong there are others but this is most of what I have seen.

Now onto the show itself. Yes, the first couple minutes are weird as all get out but lets skip that. After this, the story dives into a very inclusive feeling story about relationships and life. Yes it is about the light novel industry but I personally think that the author uses the light novel industry as a setting to explore the bonds between this group of friends. On top of that I think it also gives you an interesting look into the industry, SPOILERS one such example is the failing of Haruto's anime. You see him kind of lose it over the fact that it was messed up even though he worked so hard on it and there are some things that come out about the studio not having animation done etc. I applaud the studio for actually showing this as they are currently making an anime that is slightly changed and messed with from the original light novel. But back on track, I think the real selling factor of this show is the feeling you have after watching through a few episodes. It leaves you wishing you had this group of friends that you could sit around the kotatsu with and play some games. It shows that even with those of us with very estranged or tough backgrounds that there will be those people (Miyako) that cry for you and those that backhandly try to pick you up (Itsuki). This show is the reason I bought a kotatsu and I think that if more people could ignore the title and the first couple minutes and just enjoy the show that they could really get into this amazing slice of life show. I know this wasn't a very long review and it didn't give much of the story for you to gain interest in but I don't want to give much away in hopes that you will try the show out.

As far as the animation and the sound. I am not going to tell you that either of these are anything to write home about but I don't think either were flawed either. I think both of these were just right for this show and while the show did not stand on these, it wasn't dragged down by them either. I will say though that the opening and closing songs have begun to elicit emotional responses in me after falling over these characters. Both sound and animation are enjoyable and add to a great show.

Last but not least is characters. I will be honest with you, as much as I love this show the charcters are not all super deep. I think there are soem points when you really identify with specific characters such as SPOILER when Haruto's anime fails or when he realizes Miyako likes Itsuki. I also think that the feeling Itsuki has as to why he can't be with Nayu is an excellent story and one we can all identify with even if it is on the smallest level. We all want to be the hero of our story. I also believe that the ligh novels themselves actually do a much better job of showing some of the depth in the characters and since I have also read them, I have a little bit better undertsanding than you would get from just the anime.

Overall, I hope you give this story a shot and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.