A place further than the Universe

Alt title: Sora Yori Mo Tooi Basho

Add review
worknboy's avatar
Mar 28, 2018

This was a delightful slice of life story about four girls who con there way on to an Antarctic expedition. It's a story of friendship and bonding. The animation is very good. The storyline is great and above average. This is a G-rated anime that I would let my nieces watch becuase it's girl power all the way!

TurkeyGami's avatar
Mar 29, 2018

Remember that one time we went to Antarctica?

A Place Further than the universe is a halfway-decent, forgettable journey from studio MADhouse. I'm no fan of CTGCT anime on the whole, so it's nice to see one putting in a good deal of effort to be more than its base genre, even if it falls short of greatness. This anime has a lot of strengths that are outweighed by its weaknesses.

It starts off very jarringly, with the first things I noticed being its ugly character designs, art that doesn't work with the backgrounds, shitty white lines around everything, general dullness in its color, and everything looking like it's made of plastic. The only thing that redeems this is madhouse's unavoidably decent animation, which is, as usual from madhouse, pretty damn polished.

For me the art is its biggest weakness by far. The backgrounds all look really lame and uninspired, and they're the reason why I found it hard to bring myself to care about this anime right out the gate. It wasn't easy to look at.

Fortunately it makes up for it well enough in story and characters. This anime is about girls going to antarctica. Note that it is NOT about girls BEING IN antarctica. The entire show is spent getting there, and rather than being a whimsical adventure where we all go to an exotic place, the show deals with the real life struggles of getting to that place, especially for girls that young to get there.

The show that looks shallow as hell actually ended up having some really good character drama. It's the situations that come out of these "cute girls" doing "cute things". They deal with a lot of different subjects, such as rumors, responsibility, bullying, ect in pretty mature and grounded ways.

The best characters are the main girls, who each have their own reasons for going and their own dreams. Their development isn't really about going to antarctica, but their character arcs and how going there resolves each and every one of them.

Every approach they take to the idea of raising enough money, meeting the right people, and getting the correct equipment and experience needed to go to antarctica is pretty grounded in reality, so it's easy to see the writers' passion for the subject and the story they wanted to tell. You get to see everything they go through in a not-too-boring way which makes it great when the payoff comes, especially being set up by backstories of the numerous adults they meet and the emotional stakes riding on it.

The climax of the show is dealt with in a very unique way. You feel the weight of them actually getting to antarctica in every way it shows you, from the perspectives of all the main girls, and it's a life-changing experience for all of them.

That about does it for the good parts of the show. The sound design is pretty mediocre. They have a good amount of insert songs but not all of them are used well. I got into a few debates about the use of a few of them and after much overanalysis i've come to realize that I just don't like the music in this show. I don't like the OP, ED, the insert OST, any of it. I don't think it fits the show too well, and it definitely doesn't always fit the scenes they use it in. Sometimes there will be an emotionally climactic scene and they'll play lighthearted music, ECT.

There's also the humor. The show tries to keep you on your toes and interested in the conflicts and situations by placing humor in between, of course this being a CGTCT show at heart the tone relies on the quality of that humor, and it almost never works for me. It made me laugh once, and it tried to make me laugh a hundred times. I really don't think it did its humor well at all.

Overall its decent, it has many flaws and things to complain about for me, but a lot of really good moments that make it worthwhile if you can get past them all. For me though, since i always put a lot of stock in the presentation of an anime, it's a solid "OK".

7.5/10 characters
6.2/10 overall
trashtaste's avatar
Oct 6, 2018

This is my first review, and It's a bit mushy to give it all 10's but it really deserves it. When I first started watching anime I would always develop these weird connections with the show and always end up balling my eyes out when it ended, it's been harder to find an anime that I could relate to and thoroughly enjoy, but i just found one. Although I wish that they could've spent a bit more time on showing them in Antarctica, it was truly still a truly beautiful anime. The scenery and animation was always really nice and calming in a way. The characters were sweet and it felt like they were actual people with emotions and not drawings put together on a screen, I never really enjoy the slice of life genre but this one was definitely different. Although it's pretty uncommon for a group of high school girls and a young celebrity to go to Antartica together it still felt realistic and didn't quite have that dramatic artificial touch to it. The story made sense and it clearly represented all of the characters drives and determination to make a change in their lives and better themselves. Lastly, the opening and ending are both pretty good, the opening is also quite catchy. It ended up making me cry although I don't exactly know the reason why. I hope they follow up with a second season or an OVA but I guess it might be difficult considering that the plot and season concluded well and in a clean way too. It was a touching anime though and ya'll should definitely watch it.

LaMacho's avatar
Jan 10, 2019

Highly recommend.

Original and wonderfull story with nearly perfect animation followed with pretty music.

I wish there was 2nd season.

This anime literaly deserves to be in top 10 or atleast top 25.

If you see a score lower than 8 on this anime, they are most likely just hating and lowering the score on purpose, this show is amazing. ^.^

Ryukami's avatar
Mar 30, 2018

Cute girls doing cute things: Antarctica expedition.

Shirase is a young girl who wants to go to Antarctica, for her mother disappeared there and Shirase wants to see what her mother saw.

Along the way Shirase meets people who become life-long friends and have their own reasons for wanting to go to Antarctica.

Story is much more about the journey and relationship between the girls, rather than just the destination.

Great animation, the lighting of Antarctica is suberb.

Sound hits you hard, it hits you good.

Characters are so freaking adorable and real, more please  orz