A Certain Scientific Railgun S - Reviews

Azukano's avatar
Jan 8, 2014

*WARNING* - THE FOLLOWING REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM INDEX - WARNING*

Synopsis

Misaka Mikoto, known as "Tokiwadai's Railgun", continues her adventures with her fellow friends Kuruko Shirai, Kazari Uiharu, and Ruiko Saten. However, she runs into problems that she has yet to face. There have been rumors floating around in Academy City, all referring to Misaka. What are these secrets? And why is Misaka involved?

Railgun's second season story is split into two arcs. The first being a remake of the Sisters arc that occurred in the series "To Aru Majutsu no Index" involving Misaka Mikoto and Kamijou Touma. And the second pertaining to similar events that happened in the previous arc. The Sisters Arc is now in the perspective of Misaka Mikoto as you see the event in her eyes and how she personally feels. This perspective made such an deep impact on Misaka's character and shows how strong she feels about anyone she cares about. This perspective also overtakes the original showing in To Aru Majutsu no Index by showing more of what Misaka has gone through to solve her internal problem. The second arc is also well-done providing a short and sweet problem that has a somewhat similar feeling to what the Sisters Arc gave. Also, the second arc gave a mystery twist to the show that makes it much more interesting to watch. Overall, the Sisters Arc still proves superior for the in-depth story that makes the original, look weak in comaparison.

Railgun S regains its impressive animation, but puts it over the top with action scenes that are awe-spiring. With immense explosions, smooth flow, and dazzling animation effects on esper powers, Railgun S shows it's superiority over it's predecessor. The atmosphere that Railgun S creates, really sets up the mood amazingly with the scene being showed from; Light-Hearted Events, Fast-Paced Action, and Emotional Scenes. Overall, the animation of Railgun S is another strong factor that deems this show superior to any other similar genre shows around.

Railgun S provides impressive, fitting sound that adds more effect on the particular scene. From; Fast-Paced Action, Emotional Moments, and Light-Hearted Fun, Railgun S's OST collection is able to add a more entertaining effect to the show. Special sound effects such as Electric Shocks, Blowing Air, and Plasma Beams, give great effect towards the feeling of each character's particular power and their inner feelings. For Example, when a particular character like Misaka is furious, the sounds of her electrical shocks intensify in sound. The openings and endings are very memorable and fit well to the show's style by having fripSide, the performer for the first Railgun's opening songs, perform once again to get the viewer excited for what is coming to them next. Overall, Sound is not really Railgun S's strong point, but provides a great support for the amazing animation and atmosphere that the show gives you.

Referring to the "Story" section of the Review. Railgun S gives a remake of the Sisters Arc that occured in the series To Aru Majutsu no Index. Giving the arc a more deeper thought by putting it in the eyes of main character involved, Misaka Mikoto. Putting the story in the perspective of Misaka was much more providing in a way that To Aru Majutsu no Index didn't really give. The viewer is then put into a world where the Main Character is stressing the fact that identical beings are being experimented and killed by another. Being the problem, Misaka is then set in a trap thinking about what to do, how to do it, and how it will affect others. Kamijou Touma, who originally is a supporting character, shows more character development by showing his true motives and feelings towards the situation Misaka is going through. The emotional stress and conflict between these two characters becomes very strong and continues throughout the entire series, giving Misaka a inspiration and goal to achieve what is right. The other main characters such as Kuruko, Uiharu, and Saten, are given more development by supporting the confluct at hand and how they react to it. The introduction of new characters to the series is done well and their inclusion in the show is used well in future events to come. Overall, Railgun S's character development proves as the strongest factor in the show and is deemed superior over it's predecessors.

Final Thoughts

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S shows it's true colors of how a powerful teenage girl and her friends can put on such a powerful performance with a in-depth story, dazzling animation, fitting sound, and deeply developed characters. The only complaints I have for this show ia the somewhat rushed second arc only spanning a few episodes as the first arc spanned over a much greater number in comparison. The Arc could have expanded a bit more.However, this flaw is really minor, seeing that everything else excelled amazingly. This series is definitely a instant top favorite in my account, and will be one to rewatch as it will be remembered as one of the best I have seen. The addition of light-hearted comedy is one that I love and adding this aspect to this show, makes it even more reason for it to be my favorite. I give To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S a 9.5 out of 10.

~RamkoX12X

9.5/10 story
9.3/10 animation
9.1/10 sound
ryan264a's avatar
Jul 19, 2013

the idea behind the show is interesting, people having a special power, and there being a large list of possibilities. the possible growth of how powerful somone can become. the levels of ecchi and yuri content is rediculus, and probably the main reason i dropped this show. secondly the topics of the movie, are rather stupid, big deals made over "criminals" commiting crimes similar to young girls slumber party pranks.

DetectiveNanco's avatar
Apr 10, 2016

This guy highlights some of the good things in the anime, though not all.

tollie01's avatar
May 8, 2016

Right, it's confession time for me. If you have been reading my reviews than you may have noticed that I tend to rip the anime a new one. There is a reason for this though and it has to do with the fact that I can't turn my brain off when watching anime. I can't ignore the stupid shown in the anime and this is a problem as most anime are very stupid indeed.

In this case I'm not talking about a 90 pound girl catching a multi-ton cruise missile and throwing it back. Yes, it is stupid but it is a stupid that I'll allow. It's anime. Things like this are normal here and I'm pretty much fine with it. It annoys me to be sure but I will not rant about it.

So, having explained this lets rip into this anime shall we? Just a heads up: There will most probably be spoilers. The more I hate an anime the more spoilers there will be.

ART: This is pretty good actually. There isn't a whole lot of action but when it is shown it is very easy to follow. This is one of the better looking series that I've seen over the past few years.

SOUND: This has the same quality as the art in that it is well taken care of. Voice actors have fun and do an excellent job of it.

CHARACTERS: Main character is Misaka. She is one of only 7 level 5 espers in Acedmy city and of those 7 she ranks third. Not only is she powerful but she also is good at school and surprisongly kind to those in need. She is, however, utterly merciless to those who anger her.

STORY: The story picks up right after the first series. Misaki is catching rumers of clones being made of a level 5 esper and doesn't believe them. She knows that the purpose of Academy City is to create more powerful espers such as the elusive level 6 but even she didn't know just how far they would go for it. She stumbles upon a horrific experiment and vows to put a stop to it even if it kills her. Considering who she is up against that may very well be possible this time.

RANT: Usually the second season of a great series is much weaker but this is not the case here. If possible it gets even better. There are some differences though and the main one is that this series is much much darker in tome. People die and in quite bad ways. You could argue that the people dying are clones but as you get spend a lot of time with the clones you do start to feel for them. This is very much intentional as they are the reason that Misaki fights and you, as viewer, need to be invested in their resque.

To add to the darker tone is the fact that there are viewer comic relief moments. They are still there, including the characters that provide it, but it is very much toned down.

Another improvement is the fact that you finally see other level 5 espers. Misaki even fights some of them full on and it is glorious. The action is simply amazing.

I was less enthused about the bad guys though. The way he fights against a powerful esper just made no sense to me. He is by far the weakest link of the story.

Still, if you are a fan of the first series than you will like this one as well.

Gaz2409's avatar
Dec 16, 2014

Absolutly great story. The hole sister's arc got some really intense moments. Sometimes I was so worried about Misaka ;_;

I even liked it more than the first season. Beautiful Anime.