A Centaur's Life - Reviews

Alt title: Centaur no Nayami

ryanshowseason2's avatar
Oct 13, 2019

I don't care that ecchi is ham fisted in with harder topics and the show tries to juggle both.

It has definite flaws with the first episode and later ones with shoving in characters you've never met.

Despite all that this show has more to say than a dozen of its contemporaries. It has episodes that will make you think and reflect. How many idol trash shows or isekai's actually trigger thought beyond "what happens next?" Or "that was cute"

This show is good. %&$@ you fight me.

MyOwnAlarum's avatar
Jul 13, 2018

On the one hand, Centaur’s Worries is a series of slice-of-life shorts with heavy yuri undertones.  On the other, it is a political satire about international relations told from the perspective of fourteen-year-old girls.  On another hand entirely, it is a story about raising small children.  On yet another hand, it is an in-depth (and unnecessary) lesson on how to live with tails, hooves and horns.  If the show had committed to any one of these themes, it would have likely been a success; at its foundation there is a lot to praise.  Sadly, it squanders this potential to become just another example of mediocrity.

Underneath the lack of plot and meaningful resolution is a diverse and interesting world.  There are quite a few different species of humanoids, and diplomatic relations between them have been historically tense.  As a result, our main ensemble live in an alternate Japan where discrimination is now punishable by long prison sentences and behavior is heavily censored to avoid misunderstandings.  Political struggles seem to be happening constantly, but by focusing on an irrelevant group of teenage girls the show ensures that none of them are fully explored or resolved.  Instead, Hime and her friends ponder society’s problems while trying to win competitions and go on dates.  These commonplace experiences may make them semi-realistic teenage girls, but it also makes them terrible protagonists in a world that demands exploration.

The ensemble is generally interesting and relatable, and some of them are quite endearing.  Unfortunately, a number of useless gimmicks lessen their impact and create small inconsistencies.  For instance, while many of the characters go on dates, none of them seem to have a significant crush or romantic interest.  In order to keep the show only mildly yuri and mildly ecchi, none of the girls are allowed to have solid sexual identities.  Instead, possibilities are merely alluded to and an unrealistic innocence is maintained. In between these gags are tender moments with young children as the girls babysit or watch over them.  These chapters often involve life lessons and change the tone of the show completely.  The conflicting themes often make it seem like multiple anime have been spliced together, especially when entire episodes are dedicated to important political figures the girls have no interactions with.  To make matters worse, large chunks of time are wasted explaining the literal complications of hooves and horns, as the show has a keen interest in how characters get dressed or brush their hair.

Most of the technical elements follow in this vein of mediocrity.  The voice cast are all relative unknowns, and their performances are solid but unremarkable.  The art and style are beautiful, yet regularly marred with lazy animation. The background music and sound are unnoticeable at best, and the opening theme is catchy but generic. I will say that the ending theme and credits are beautifully done on all counts, which only further proves the show’s underlying potential.  Unlike so many others that lack original ideas or creative sparks, Centaur’s Worries lacks proper execution.

In the end, I found myself wanting to like the show but not being able to.  I’d like to think that this season was only meant as a light prologue to something better, but with such a bland debut it’s hard to imagine a sequel or follow-up of any kind.  I have to admit, however, that if they were to come out with a sequel I’d probably still watch it. As disappointing as this season was, a part of me still hopes that this fascinating and beautiful world will get a chance to shine.

mothattack's avatar
Jul 28, 2018

There is so much to like about this anime, and I think it would have been perfect if they ditched the ecchi overtones. It targets the wrong audience in the wrong way. It would be perfect as a clever shojo anime without the ecchi, because of the politics and dillemas surrounding the girls. Instead it was created as a seinen anime that misses in all areas. My daughter wants to watch this one, but I can't let her until she is older. Such a wasted opportunity.

QuinnCrowshaw's avatar
Jun 21, 2020

Nice and relatable anime. Nice for when you just want to relax.

notinlove's avatar
Mar 1, 2023

I liked this one despite its obvious flaws.... its a mixture of sol and ecchi and sometimes the jump from one to the other felt kind of forced but overall it was an enjoyable watch. Interesting and unique world building and diverse characters. There was also some drama which i personally didnt really care about but others may like that too.