5 Centimeters per Second

Alt title: Byousoku 5 Centimeter

Add review
yumilk's avatar
May 3, 2020

I have watched many Makoto Shinkai animes but this one was a little disappointing as I felt that some things in the plot were forced to be deep and dramatic but as the same time has some success in it. So if you're looking for a deep anime, I would probably recommend this one. I also thought that there wasn't any character development etc. However it was visually pleasing and aesthetic so this is a matter of if you prioritize the story arc or the actual animation and the voice actors.

6.5/10 characters
autsbox's avatar
Apr 20, 2020

As a "story"... Well, it's not very good. It has no in-depth character arcs, no real climax or satisfying conclusion, but then it's only an hour. It's less of a story and more of a situation that many people find themselves in. In that, it's wonderfully painful. The movie does a swell job of creating believable people, not characters, people, in a real struggle.

That's really what this is. Not a story, but a dilemma you may or may not be all too familiar with.

OkamiHime95's avatar
Dec 4, 2019

Well I had this in my "Want to watch" list on Anime Planet for awhile now, since it was recommended to those who like Emma: A Victorian Romance. (Which is somewhat similar when it comes to the "love" theme, but yet are very different in certain ways. I made a review about that as well.)

A Brief Synopsis: 5 Centimeters per Second is about a boy named Takaki who falls in love with his friend Akari. It tells their story in 3 "chapters" and shows them growing up & basically moving away from each other due to certain circumstances. (I would say more, but don't want to give major spoilers.)

SUB/DUB: I really enjoyed the sub version, but I'm sorry to say that I didn't care for the dubbed version. (I don't hate it, but it was just...meh... My high rating for Sound, is mainly for the music.)

Animation: To put it simply, it is very breathtaking, especially the Cherry Blossoms/Sakura.
I've not been so captivated

Overall thoughts: While I did like the film, I found some scenes kind of confusing at first, and really wish the ending would've turned out differently, and/or had more to it. To me this is one of those movies where I think if I watched it again, I would need to be in the "right frame of mind" first, if that makes sense...

It won't let me do a "6.5-7/10" overall rating, so I guess I'll rate the Story a 6.5, and the movie itself a 7.

Anyway, thank you to my Secret Santa of Secret Santa 2019 for the recommendation! :)

6.5/10 story
lucifer99's avatar
Oct 21, 2019

My imagination went crazy after.I took a glimpse of this even my self is in questions amazing dramatic environment it's little bit long and.I felt love and the same time alone.try this for yourself have nice day take care...

TahmidAqib's avatar
Sep 17, 2019

Very realistic story. By far one of the best anime I have watched. I think a lot of people can relate to the story. It reflects the sad truth that often the reality is not like your dreams.  The very heartwarming story tells you about two lovers fate. Recommend checking it out! For more details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4JwihVp1nw

7.5/10 story
Satanaell's avatar
Mar 31, 2019

I watched this with my friend and the animation was beautiful. But good god the story was boring. It was an hour of three people talking about how in love they were. The ending was unsatisfying as all hell too.

jimpaly's avatar
Jan 26, 2019

Honestly, I feel like I just wasted an hour of my time watching this "movie". If you're only here for the drama, romance, and feels, then watch it. But if you are looking for a good story, don't watch it.

No major spoilers, yay!

OVERALL

5 Centimeters Per Second is a movie with 100% drama, and 0% story. I loved the art and music, which were both better than any other anime i've ever watched. It does a very good job at summarizing all of the romance clichés, but the story is lacking character development and relationship development.

STORY

I wouldn't call 5 Centimeters Per Second a movie. Rather than one continuous story, it is 3 small 20 minute stories put together, one after another. Each of these stories cover a period of less than a week, but are separated by a few years. By themselves, the small stories have their own separate plot, climax, and a very emotional ending. But after putting them all together into one "movie", the story turned out to be very confusing, with no transitions between two parts.

ANIMATION/SOUND

AMAZING! I don't know who drew the background art, but he/she/they deserve props for the many beautiful artworks. The music was also beautiful, and with the art, enforce the emotions that the stories produce.

CHARACTERS

One of the down points of having a story with only one 60 minute movie is that we learn nothing about the personalities of of the characters. We know their names, what they do, and thats about it. They could have made the movie longer, or even better, made it into a TV series with a full story.

9.5/10 sound
Shivam123's avatar
Sep 3, 2018

First of all those people who recently got break up is suggested that they dont watch this movie. This movie is really a peace of art in terms of describing the real life situations. Beacause of those two lovers (Takaki and Akari) others life get disturb. You can watch this movie  if want to taste a real life lovers situation but at the end you will find yourself heartbroken.

7.5/10 sound
parasolprincess's avatar
Aug 26, 2018

When I watch a movie, I try to go in completely blind, all I had heard about this movie is that it was depressing.

5 Centimeters per Second has a sad story that is kind of generic. I have definitely seen many things with very similar stories. This movie was never boring and had a calming and down to earth feel to it. It also felt quite heavy, almost nothing happy happens in this movie. I think it is great that way. It is very good at making you feel things and accurately recreating the real world.

The way the scenery in this movie looks is breathtaking. The sky and grass and buildings are so alive. I love how down on the Earth looks so realistic while up in the sky looks magical and gigantic. I am not a huge fan of how the characters look but it is not a case of bad animation, the animation never looks wonky or out of place, it is just my personal preference. The characters do look like real people which is nice in anime.

I love the soundtrack for this movie. The songs fit the situations and are great at conveying the feelings of the movie. The voice acting is also great. I love how they sound like real people. The way the sound effects are used is also very well-done. The train noises really add to the scenes.

The characters are my biggest complaint with this movie. Kanae is very realistic and I felt an attachment to her. It was easy to feel her pain. With Akari I feel that we don't see her much as a real person, we see her from Takaki's eyes and she feels more like some type of angel than a person. This makes her hard to get attached to.

Takaki is the worst character in my opinion. He isn't a bad person, but he lacks traits that bring him to life. He doesn't act as a person would act in his situation. If he really truly wanted to be with Akari he would have easily been able to find her. I'm sure there are people who act how he does but for me I felt no attachment. I felt like he just acted how he acted because the plot demanded it.

Closing Statement

This movie was very beautiful and realistic. It just fell short of an amazing film in my opinion. It is definitely worth watching, I am sure everyone could find some kind of enjoyment from this movie.

kokichioma's avatar
Apr 5, 2018

I personally just didn't like it. The story didn't had this one main point etc. I think a series or a longer movie would have been better. The characters weren't really shown off. This also didn'T support that I like the story and the movie in general. The emotional part was way too pushed. A lot people may think that the movie was really good, but I guess everybody thinksdifferently. Summarising that, the main reason why I didn'T like the movie that much and why I think comparing to others it wasn't that good at all are the characters and their backstories and the way the emotional stuff is forced. Just because you try to make people cry about the last scene, doesn't mean it is good.

Angel88's avatar
Mar 26, 2018

By watching this I realize that I have no emotion at all.😕

CatsCrossing's avatar
Mar 23, 2018

None of what I wrote here is necessarily spoilers however this review contains ideas about the ending.

I like the plot for this anime a lot due to the way it's presented despite it's simplicity. It's unique in the way it provides us with an ending that is not the typical happy ending to many anime that follow the whole slice of life romance trail, and while we may find these ending feel-good and satisfying they aren't always reality. The ending here is far more realistic; it presents us with questions about life and what lies in the future, it suggets that we may not always get what we want out of life but in the end we will persevere. For the plots simplicity I gave it an 8. However, I think the plot is complimented greately by the animation and sound, the atmosphere created is extremely thought-provoking and calming to be in. The characters didn't lack depth at all so it's very easy to become emotionally invested, (I actually cried because I cry at evertything like a weed -_-), despite how common these types of characters are in a lot of anime. It's much like 'The Garden of Words' in the ways that it explores ideas surrounding emotions and the struggles of life that many of us may face.

Final thoughts: The animation is captivating and I expected no less from Makoto Shinkai, his films are always breath taking in animation. I love the motif of the sakura blossoms through the film as well as it creates a kind of thread between two of the characters who can no longer see each other. And last but not least, I like the melancholic close to the film which did infact make me cry a bit.

Scientiiaa's avatar
Jan 18, 2018

5 Centimeters per Second (Byousoku 5 Centimeter) is a 2007 Japanese animated romantic drama film produced, written, and directed by Makoto Shinkai (Voices of a Distant Star, She and Her Cat: Their Standing Points). The film consists of three parts: ‘Cherry Blossom’, ‘Cosmonaut’, and ‘5 Centimeters per Second’, which together have an hour of runtime. As in Shinkai's previous works, Tenmon (he composed many music pieces for Falcom games) composed this film's soundtrack. The film was awarded Best Animated Feature Film at the 2007 Asia Pacific Screen Awards. The DVD was released on 19 July 2007. A novel of 5 Centimeters per Second was released in November 2007. In the July’s 2010 issue of the manga anthology Afternoon, a manga adaptation started serialization with illustrations by Seike Yukiko (Majime na Jikan, Tsuki ni Hoeran nee).

Takaki and Akari, two very close friends and classmates, attended elementary school together. One day, they cannot be together anymore because of Akari’s family. Their plans to attend the same middle school are now shattered. The two continue to keep in touch via mails. However, as time goes by, the distance between the two grows larger and larger, making the possibility for them to meet again almost impossible. What fate awaits Takaki and Akari, and will they be able to meet again?

Indeed, the story-line is very SoL like: no magic, no forced drama, no superpowers, or anything like that.  This movie is absolutely generic, and it might have been the truth, if not one (thing) person: Shinkai Makoto. That person, the creator of 5 Centimeters per Second, made a piece about reality. Yes, yes, it is about reality. Makoto Shinkai does not need to follow a cliché route (death, betrayal, or anything like that) to make his movie unique, he only needs realism, and I must say that this movie is unique. It might be slow, it might have no plot twists, but it is extremely tragic, dramatic, and beautiful at the same time. The last thing I want to mention is that you will never guess what will happen next, as well as the anime’s ending, which you will surely like about this movie.

The art is amazing, too. Every scene, every detail are just fantastically beautiful. They put so much effort in the animation that you can even make out labels of every product during the convenience store scene. But this is not the main appeal of this anime, the main appeal is its amazingly gorgeous sceneries; they are just impressive. Too bad character designs are not as detailed as sceneries are, but this is not the main focus of this anime; there is no need for some wacky character designs. Sound wise, both English and Japanese dubs are good. There are some minor defects in the English dubs, though; but you will not notice them, just turn off the subtitles. The OST is also good, it manages to fit the voices perfectly well and it does its magic. Tenmon did simply a great job here.

There are three main characters in this movie, but I will not touch upon the third one just to avoid spoilers. The first one is Takaki Touno. He is the protagonist of this movie and is forced to move a lot, because of his family’s job issues. He and Akari become close friends, but when Akari moves away, they end up attending different junior high schools. The second protagonist is Akari Shinohara. She is Takaki's best friend and love interest in elementary school. Just like Takaki, she and her family move a lot. After elementary school, she moves to another prefecture, which distances her from Takaki. The two, however, continue to keep in touch via mails. That said, all three protagonists are very human and realistic; their inner dialogues and development are just something you will surely appreciate and enjoy.

All in all, 5 Centimeters per Second is definitely a must see for all fans of the romance genre. There are no cliché aspects you will usually see in anime like that, only a real life story. What is more, the creator also tries to let the viewer decide and think in many situations during this movie, which is another huge plus of this anime. So, if you really do believe that you are a true fan of this genre and want to see something new, you should definitely give this movie a shot. It is not that long, watch it.

Lyru's avatar
Jan 7, 2018

5 Centimeters per Second is referred to as a romance anime, but it plays very much like an indie film. It's played at the full hour, but consists of two episodes and a conclusionry sequence of sorts. The animation is superb, without a doubt some of the best animation work I've seen from shading to movement to expressions, it's the while package. The storyline is based in romance between the two characters introduced in the first episode, but the piece as a whole is a commentary on the distance that can occur between two kindred souls or soul mates when they are pulled apart, and how it affects individuals over the course of their life. Focusing on three major stages in life (pre-adolescence, adolescence, and adulthood), this episodic film is a beautiful story of the aches and pains of falling in love, growing up, and growing apart.

While the end of the film is melancholy, it was excruciatingly relatable, and had my heart string begging for closure that unfortunately did not come in a way that I wanted. This is by no means I criticism of the film though as I think the denial of the expected closure in itself is a perfect representation of how things typically play out in life. Overall, this film is thoughtfully written, beautifully illustrated, and intentionally orchestrated.

Eiraza's avatar
Nov 3, 2017

SPOILER:

Overall I didn't find anything spectacular about this movie. Its a movie about life. People get separated and move on with their lives. 99% of people don't end up with their first love so idk why people are so depressed by this. I literally watched a movie of something that occurs in people's everyday lives and it was annoying.

Art was naturally wonderful though and its was a beautiful movie. The characters weren't bad, they were just subjected to the unfortunate thing we call life. They grow up and stop contacting each other (oh ho big surpise, things got awkward) and lose the chance to be together due to lack of communication. You could watch your neighbor to witness something like this. Seriously.

If you enjoyed it nothing wrong with that, I'm glad you had a good time becuase I didn't. Sorry...I'm bitter about this movie lol.

iienmeiakl's avatar
Sep 10, 2017

Такое бывает. Первое аниме оказалось самым лучшим из всех существующих аниме. Жалко, что Синкай (и никто другой) ничего подобного больше не создал.

Запустив 5 сантиметров в первый раз я просидел целый час с открытым ртом. Это не преувеличение, я только на финальных титрах понял, что у меня в прямом смысле слова отвисла челюсть. Хорошо, что никто не видел! Сразу же после первого просмотра я запустил с самого начала ещё раз.

Это просто невероятно красиво нарисовано. Каждый кадр - произведение искусства. Фильм идёт примерно час, 24 кадра в секунду. Обычно в аниме 12 к/сек, но в этом вроде 24.

24*60*60=86400, почти 90 тысяч произведений искусства. Ни в одной галерее столько нет!

Kushieda's avatar
Aug 5, 2017

Watch this if you want to cry your eyes out and question your life

8.5/10 sound
gokaes's avatar
May 13, 2017

Great work from makoto shinkai

watched this after watching kimi no na wa

let me tell my review

chapter 1

was in my opinion great story about friends who got separated

and about youth love and distance of the friends i liked it a lot the meeting the letters made up great story what to be expected from makoto shinkai

chapter 2

told about time after bou moved even further away and thei connection was cut to the large extent and the boy was longing for her and how he thought about her even after all those years

chapter 3: 5 centimeters per second

was the last part of story wich told us about the two separated person that move on

on their loves even tho the boy was still longing for her... anding was sad and happy depends on where do you watch it at....

id say it was not story about love but more like story about longing and moving on

Niveek's avatar
Dec 28, 2016

I hate the ending. It's a forced stop.

Is it good? It's better than most.. But would've liked a full length season instead.. It is fun but the ending upsets me.. It has me feeling it hasn't ended (and not in the good way, like an open ending)

Dorkave's avatar
Dec 26, 2016

Byousoku 5 Centimeter, otherwise known to all of us as 5 Centimeters per Second, is a very well-known anime among the anime fanbase as a whole. Chances are, your anime friend may have watched it and loved it, or if they were like me, felt indifferent about the whole thing. 5 Centimeters per Second is no way a bad anime in any sense of the word. The anime succeeds at many things, like breathtaking anime that has been widely praised, but when I was done watching it, there was a feeling of emptiness that was left behind me. It wasn't intentional to the story, but more of a feeling of dissatisfaction. As the credits roll, I sighed and that's when it clicked with me. 5 Centimeters per Second may be a beautiful anime, and you may (or may not) think it is a masterpiece, but today, I'm here to tell you why I didn't enjoy the anime as much as many other people did. Whether it be the somewhat unmemorable scenes of scenery overload, or the lackluster characters and rushed pacing.

Before I tag on the story, I think it is best I start on a positive note with the best thing this anime has to offer--its animation. The animation in this anime is truly superb, and looking back on old clips of the anime, I was taken away by how beautifully rendered and drawn everything looked. The scenery bounced with colors, the characters seemed well-drawn. So, why did I give the animation a 9? Well, the problem is, they aren't memorable. If I cannot remember the moments where the main characters danced around the cherry blossoms, nor can I remember how the animation brought life into that said scene, then that scene loses some of its importance. I also felt like some of the character designs were a bit too generic. While the main female love interest and the love interest in act two had their own personality in their designs that made them stick out, Tono, the main character, possessed only maybe one or two original traits in his character design. I get that the animators were trying to catch a realistic yet simple look with his design, but it doesn't work as well as the likes of the two other main characters. Other than that, the animation was beautiful, but due to the lack of any real memorability and importance to me, and some character designs being too flat for my tastes, I will have to give the animation an eight.

The sound design is unmemorable to me. I could not really remember a lot of the music from the time I watched it, and I mean nothing comes through my mind when I try to remember the music. Despite that, the voice acting was very well-done. When emotions were supposed to be felt, the voice actors hit through with their words and did add a lot of emotional support on the more important scenes. Not one hit short or weren't as good as the other because they all shined equally. And, instead of something like The Asterisk War (it comes to mind in terms of horrible sound design), where the weapons sounded like toys and the sound design was just lackluster in general, the sound design in this anime is great. The sound of their footsteps, and the sound of birds chirping added a lot of life into the world they were living in.

Now for the worst part of the entire movie that had left me with such a feeling of dissatisfaction. The story and the characters. What this movie had not realized is that fitting three 22 minute acts into a 56-minute movie was one of the worst decisions they could have ever made. In short, this movie is very, very rushed. And, I do not put that term lightly. One of the few examples where this was most shown was in the very first arc. After shown the childhood of the two main characters together, and we fast-forward to the scene where they reunite, one of the few reasons I didn't like this scene was because of how unimportant it seemed. Since the pacing was fast, and the anime was not that long, they skipped all moments that could have unlocked more potential and character development. We see them talk for only a few moments, see them kiss, and then skip away to the girl leaving. The issue I found with this was because there was so much potential to develop the already weak characters, or to bring a closer connection to their relationship, but due to the tight pacing, they threw it all away. This is also seen in the worst part of the entire movie--Act 3. Act 3 is the worst because it seems so out of place. It derails a bit from the first and second acts and throws away everything important that was made in the second act. For example, we see the second love interest cross paths with the main character once again after the second act, they look away for a second and then--that's it?! We never get to hear anything about her for the rest of the movie, from what I remember, and she is never brought up again. She was about the best character in the entire movie, and the fact she was pushed to the side to try and connect the already weak connection between Tono and the first love interest is why I really did not like the third act. This is where most of the movie's mistakes shine through. And the ending was the last reassurance of disappointment I had for the film before it faded away to the credits.

This movie is not bad. This movie has a lot of positives to it. But, due to the rough pacing and structure of the story, it tripped and fell many times, making the story overall unsatisfying. You may love this movie, but I just think it's somewhat good. I mean, despite my hate for the story's pacing, I still found myself somewhat enjoying it and seeing what it had to offer. I'm glad you might have enjoyed it a lot, but I found myself sighing at these mistakes.

7.4/10 overall
Nizia's avatar
Dec 21, 2016

the characters are very much frustrating...I only liked Kanae- the surfer girl..actually I loved her..The guy should have ended up with her but he chose to be loser!! the ending is too disappointing

SuzakuConvoy's avatar
Nov 23, 2016

Oiikayy. So I'm going to base this review off of my fresh and pure observations and feelings coming straight out of watching this movie:

I am not satisfied. This anime, to me, was almost 50% scenery and visuals. These aspects of the film, I admit full heartedly, are pretty outstanding. The only critique I would have against them is the whole dark-and-light feel to a majority of the instances of the scenery(why was the sky so dark AND light when the rocket took off?). Aside from that, the artistry is very brilliant and articulate.

The next best thing this movie has to offer is its well PLOTTED story. I like the concept of splitting it into 3 different parts, but when the first part took almost half the film and I was left feeling like it was the INTRO, then I think that gets a little rediculous. The actual execution of the story is pretty mediocre, in my opinion. It seems extremely jumpy at times and I am left feeling an extreme sense of being left out of an inside joke or something. I just feel like I wasn't told enough. Which is what a story is generally supposed to NOT make you feel like. So while I do like the concept of the story and how it COULD have played out, I can't really sympathize with how I was left feeling afterwards.

Okay, now I am going to get into my major critiques...

First of all, the characters. THE MOST INTERESTING CHARACTER, WAS PRACTICALLY A SIDE CHARACTER. I found myself liking the character that you KNEW from the moment you met her and knew of her story that she was NOT going to get what she wanted: which was of course the main character guy. The main character was NOT very intriguing at all. Aside from his whole love for that one girl, his somewhat attractive appearance, and the things that he would do to for her at the start, there is not much to him. I don't know a THING about his family, only got ONE scene of him talking to his friends, and I don't recall any job interests or hobbies aside from him shooting some arrows randomly and typing at his computer later on in life.

And the main character's love interest: that shy girl. WHAT THE HELL? The surfer girl was actually the BEST character in my wholehearted opinion. I could sympathize with her, she had many qualities that a lot of people are sure to relate to, you got a decent/okay view of her family and mostly her sister's influence on her, and you even got her DOING her hobby WITH A REASON: her SISTER. WHAT MORE TO LOVE. As far as the main character's love interest is concerned: I know she is generally shy, she likes the main character, and that she has a desk job later on. Seriously. what.

Aside from those things, some smaller critiques would be how jumpy the anime is (touched on this earlier), how most of the story is INTERNAL DIALOGUE (which jumps between an omnipresent/all-knowing/future-self view and a more present-self point of view), and just how overall.... empty... the movie leaves you feeling.

Also a smaller critique that I wanted to leave to itself: the ending part. I am honestly pretty clueless as to what happened between the two of them. I guess they just both grew apart? And walked close to each other once and said "fuck it bye." And thought about all their times together and just felt bad and nastaglic so out of sympathy they called the other and then the other ignored the call for no apparent reason? Honestly the ending part was so disappointing. It seems a lot of people are mistaking the movie's overall ambiguity with some otherworldly deep and meaningfull nonsense. I just can't put my finger on it. It's all over the place.

I guess I just felt really detatched from almost every aspect of the film, then once a character was introduced that I sympathized with and partially liked, they got shat on and was consequently left in the dark.

*********

-Besides the one character I liked, the characters aren't too outstandingly developed (5/10)

-The story is jumpy and all over the place and left me with mixed, confused, and questioning feelings (the actual execution). even though I kind of liked the concept and how it could have been executed (4/10)

-The animation is pretty outstanding and adds to the overall appeal of the movie. One complaint would be the obvious LIGHT and DARK differences when it doesn't need to be so clearly different. Another complaint would be the realness of having the WHOLE GALAXY shown in the sky... (8/10)

-There weren't any obvious sound problems, but it wasn't noticably great either... (7/10)

Hawaii's avatar
Sep 24, 2016

Hello. For me it was great story with a real life taste, the story was awesome, it was interesting to watch until last second. I didn't liked animation, it was kind of weird, but nice too, so i think 8/10 enough. The music was extraordinary, during the ending my heart melted, music was applied with a action and all of this created wonderful atmosphere. Characters were good too. They were original and it wasn't easy to understand them.

FullmetalDragon's avatar
Aug 17, 2016

Surprisingly enough, I thought this was a pretty overrated movie. I mean, sure, it's great if you like hour long monologues, but they're really not my thing.

The story itself was a pretty average love story - which means it bored me out of my mind. Romance is not one of my favourite genres, but occasionally I find one that I enjoy. This... was not one of them. It's told by three different narrators, none of whom I cared about at all, and it seemed to me a pretty common story - one I've definitley heard a few times before. That's fine if it's told well, but again, listening to a huge monologue is not my idea of a story being told well.

Basically all I can tell you about the characters is that they were in love. They seemed more like tools designed to act out the love story rather than actual people. With little to no character development, I didn't feel anything towards any of them. Except maybe boredom.

I will give it to them though, the animation is incredible. Entirely wasted, but incredible.

If you like bland love stories and don't mind huge monologues, then this could be a good movie for you. Otherwise, I really wouldn't bother.

1.5/10 story
DATABASEERROR's avatar
Jul 13, 2016

My anime reviews are always simple, short and straight-forward and is 100% spoilers-free.

Genres: Drama, Slice of Life, Romance.

Additional Info: Atomic Bomb filled with sadness.

Ending Rating: 85%

Short Review:

Want to sulk yourself into a beatiful yet bittersweet romantic story and jerk your tears till your eyeballs evaporate through hawking radiation? Be prepared because this anime movie will make you thank your parents that they gave you life to watch such a wonderful anime.

8.8/10 overall
GreekOtaku's avatar
Mar 26, 2016

Maybe one of the best anime movies I 've ever seen. I wasn't really impressed by the story because it looks like it  was 3 different parts but you have to see the end and realise it's one story. Anyway it was good even though I don't really like love stories but the art and sound were unbelievable good...so give it a try with some good company, cuddling and of course a hot chocolate!

7.5/10 story
hamletsmage's avatar
Mar 14, 2016

If you're looking for some feels, hop aboard this train.

Story: This story is split into several parts. The first is a story of two school children who become friends and then find out that they will be moving apart. Later, they decide to meet up. If the story had stopped there, it would have been the perfect anime. But, no, the story shifts to another story... and then another... and granted, it all follows the same characters, but it's too much to really fit into one movie. The story drags on, and doesn't really resolve itself in a satisfactory way.

Animation: CoMix is known for scene porn anime. Look at the background, isn't it pretty? The animation is pretty fluid, but I felt this particular anime was dull compared to other anime by the same company.

Sound: I don't really have much to say about the sound. It fits well with the anime, and there werent' any parts where I felt the sound was too far removed from the plotline. (Like snazzy jazz in a sad scene or something like that)

Characters: Again, had the story stopped after the first section, I would have thought this anime was perfect. But it introduced characters that I really couldn't connect with in the second and third parts.

Overall: It was ok. Not great, but ok.

Taek's avatar
Mar 11, 2016

So this is a pretty hyped film, and in some respects I can see why, it looks amazing, there's really no denying that with its sweeping landscapes, perfect use of tilt shift and smooth as silk animation, and on top of that it has a reputation for being pretty emotionally charged and quite melancholy.

I have another term for it. Mean spirited.

Never have I seen such a show tht just really wanted to grind me down so much and try and make me feel bad. The MC starts off as an innocent child who just wants to see the girl he's crushing on before she moves beyond his reach, but we progress from that onto his basic fixation on her to the detriment of everyone around him and even himself. The second 'arc' of the film centres around our characters in a rural town that I have to admit is absolutely gorgeous to behold, and with some amazing visual dirtection, a pity the plot itself plods around the MC basically just leading on and then crushing the girl who's interested in him. And we never really know why any of these people are interested in him, because for all intents and purposes, he's just a bland character with no defining personality traits except his prolonged (and increasingly creepy) crush on a girl he hasn't had contact with in years.

The final arc of the show is by far the worst, and this is where the mean spiritedness really kicksitself into overdrive and floors the gas. We see MC in his loveless, verbally abusive relationship that he refuses to let go because he's afraid of being alone, and he's still fixated on this girl, despite the fact that about 15-20 years have passed, and then the whole film ends as if it has some kind of hope for him with siad crush.

Now the problem with all of this sin;t so much the acts themselves, it's the execution and how we're supposed to sympathise with his plight, as if he is on the noble pursuit of true love rather than a childish crush that he clings onto like a leech. And in this last arc, he's taking it out on the woman who actually says she loves him, god knows why because he's still just as balnd in his 20's as he was as a teen.

Of course the film does have it's good points, the visual direction is amazing, pretty much aeverything you can think of in terms of how it looks is some of the best stuff made in the last few years, a pity that it's wrapped around such an impish storyline. The music is pretty good for the most part but in a few places borders on the sickeningly twee.

All in then, this is a huge let down, we follow an uniteresting character through his weird obsession with one person, we meet some actually interesting characters along the way, but they never linger too much because our MC is just too important for them to be worth the screen time, all wrapped up in gorgeous animation.

Really, I can't recommend this to anyone. It's so dull in it's execution too that all the parts that should feel emotionally charged often come across as yawn worth at best, and rage inducingly mean at the worst. It doesn't deserve it's status as a must see  in my opinion, and your time would be better spent elsewhere.

V0MPIRICZ0MBIE's avatar
Feb 3, 2016

5 centimeters per second is a good anime... but I was getting confused, the story line is kinda confusin or the plot I should say, than later on I started crying cause it was getting sad, the ending was good I guess.. I felt kinda bad for him he didnt seem happy

tollie01's avatar
Nov 24, 2015

Allright. It's been a while since I've done something like this so bear with me as I try to find my way again.I did quite a lot of them in the past on a different website which you can find here: http://legendsofsatura.net/index.php/forum125/6-reviewing-guild.html

....They probably aren't very good though but please do stop by if you have the time and inclination. Originally the site was for writers, mostly original but also fanfiction.

Also I'm Dutch so there will be spelling errors. If you find them annoying give me a shout and I'll try to fix them.

Oh, I will try to keep spoilers to a minimum but there will be some. Usually the worse I rate an anime the more spoilers this will contain. You have been warned

So, you have probably already read what the animation is about in the discription given by Anime-Planet, which is the same as on the box. I will therefore try not go into the story that much unless I'm ranting about something (spoilers).

ART: The animation is simply amazing. If there was any CGI used then I didn't see it and this is what anime should be. I could go on for a while here but this is visually the best anime I've seen in a long time.

SOUND: Like the art the sound is nearing perfection. Normally I don't really notice the music so when they manage to make me take notice then you are doing something right. Take special note of the song at the end of the anime as it is simply perfect for the anime.

Voice acting is very good and the voice actor for Takaki actually plays him in every arc. The voice actress for Akari was switched for the final arc. Since the anime spans a time of 17 years this is a testament to the talent working on this movie.

CHARACTERS: There are 2 main characters, Takaki and Akari, and you follow their lives over a 17 year period in 3 story arcs.

STORY: The story is very simple really. Takaki and Akari both travel around a lot due to their parents jobs and they meet in elementary school. There they develop a deep bond and eventual love for each other.

I can't really explain it further than this as the story is covered in 3 arcs, each devided by several years. You see the main characters grow up and follow them as they persue their hopes and dreams.

Normally this is not something that I care about and even though at 60 minutes it is very short for a movie it still managed to keep my attention. At the end I was very keen to see where the characters would end up.

Reikel's avatar
Oct 29, 2015

Over all great movie. I expected muc from it, and it lived up to that. The sory is beautiful, so is the animation. I recomend you watch it. If you loved The Place promised in our early days I bet you will love this movie too!

AmazingLagann's avatar
Sep 30, 2015

Depressing. That's what this was. Depressing and nothing else. I didn't learn anything from this, I didn't get any enjoyment out of this, all that happened was I watched a protagonist fall deeper and deeper into depression because of his life circumstances.

I don't know if that's your idea of a good time, but it's certainly not mine. A lot of people say this is sad. It wasn't. Sadness is something, there's even a certain gratification in sadness. It can feel good to cry. I didn't shed a single tear watching this, and I'm not opposed to bawling my eyes out over a show, not just in sad moments, but ones that are filled with strong emotions. There is something satisfying of the mixture of pain and relief that comes from crying, something positive.

Depression isn't sadness, not really. It's a darkness, an emptiness, a negative force that sucks away emotion, it makes you feel less than human. Watching someone suffer, and continue to suffer until the end with no resolution or closure? It wasn't sad, it was just... disheartening. It dismayed me, demoralized me, discouraged me, dispirited me. It made me lose some of my hard earned enthusiasm and hope that I struggled for years to obtain.

It made me feel worse in an absolute negative sense, a complete and total net loss. This movie was not a positive influence on my life in any way. It did worse than not give me anything, it actively made a negative impact. This is possibly the worst thing that media can hope to achieve.

Yes, the visuals are beautiful, but while animation can ruin a good story, it cannot save a bad one. The characters feel human, making it all the worse.

This is not my least favorite, but my worst film of all time. I've seen movies way worse than this, but none actually took away something from me other than time. This movie left me worse off than I came in. Unless you want to use it as a weapon, it has no purpose for existing. It was like a snuff film of the mind. Perhaps if you're a sadist you will enjoy it, other than that, spare yourself.

If you want a film that's actually sad, go watch Grave of the Fireflies.

DrFrankenStein's avatar
Sep 26, 2015

This was such a depressing anime, oh my god.....

It made me want to cry in the shower, sip tea, and lement about my life. There is no plot resolution, so pretty much everyone is fucked. So yeah...don't watch this if you wish to keep your sanity.

Mako says neigh.

SenpaiBLike's avatar
Aug 11, 2015

5 Centimeters per Second is Beautiful

The movie takes an almost ridiculously introspective look at how life and the ideal romantic plot are not the same in any way. Each act has a way of turning romantic tropes on their head that is admirable and saddening to see at the same time. It slowly tells a romance story that is completely heartbreaking and it has no shame in doing it. Partially because of this and partially because of the animation, this movie is packed with moments that you'll fondly remember. It'll probably be memorable for the Beautiful animation, rich storytelling metaphors, or just how heartbreaking or heartwarming the scene is portrayed.

mahius's avatar
Jul 6, 2015

5 Centimetres per Second AKA Byousoku 5 Centimetre is a short 1 hour movie about... well. It’s easy to say drama and romance, but neither are depicted like traditional anime of those genres. This is a very laid back, unique and potentially emotional story. One for those with mature tastes, not everyone will like the ambiguity, the scenes can be difficult to interpret. This movie is like a flower, some folks would look at it and realise how lovely it is, while others will remain uninterested and won’t see it’s appeal. I’d definitely recommend this movie, a must watch to anybody, whether you watch anime or not. Though if you like action-packed shounen full of plot progression and/or comedy, this won’t be your cup of tea. I will say that I enjoy the chilled-out unique realistic anime and these anime I would label as a sub-genre I made up myself I call ‘realistic.’ Though it doesn’t necessarily mean exactly that.

Oh my god. The quality is astonishing. If you don’t watch this in full HD, you are doing this movie a disservice. The scenes are so picturesque and beautiful, some seem like ridiculously detailed paintings. The intro/outro for the mid-section of the movie, the scene where they look up into the sky is just oozing gorgeous. This looks like it has very high production values, the animations was fluid and flawless. Not much to say about animation style, while a tad on the unoriginal side in terms of character design, this style was very suitable for an anime of this calibre. Even if people don’t like the overall narrative, they can’t complain about the visuals on offer here. The thoughts and feelings behind the characters can easily be conveyed by the animation alone, I wouldn’t have complained if this movie was completely silent, speaking of which…

With flawless animation comes similarly impeccable sound. It’s so beautiful! I will admit right now, there isn’t much variety to the music, but here that’s actually a good thing. They chose the right background music for this anime, the sound design is on point. And my, what beautiful music it is. While my favourite genre is rock and metal, I could really appreciate the instrumentals and strings. There were many points in the anime where the background was appropriately silent. And of course there was music playing in the shops, one of which turned out to play full on at the end. I did end up downloading the soundtrack. This is the sort of music I’d listen to while reading a book or before going to sleep. The music alone can invoke emotion and feeling just like the animation.

This anime is available in both English and Japanese. Once again, I must declare that I am not expert on voicing and dubbing, a lot of folks are lot less tolerant of English dubs than I am. I watched this one in English of course and folks who are too arrogant and claim you should only watch this in Japanese should bugger off. Either is fine here, as far as English voices go, the dub here is very good and didn’t blemish the beauty of this movie.

They got some big voices too. I instantly recognised David Matranga voicing Takaki, the guy also has voiced characters including Hinata from Angel Beats and Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad. Hilary Haag was another familiar voice as Akari, who’s also voiced Yui from Angel Beats, Fuuko Ibuki from Clannad, Princess Sherwood from Princess Resurrection and Merry from Yumekui Merry. The final character Kanae is voiced by Serena Varghese, voice of Yusa and Irie from Angel Beats, Mei Sunohara from Clannad and Minato Kisaragi. Julie-Ann Taylor also voices Mizuno’s sister. The voice actors certainly seem to have experience in voicing characters from such pleasant types of anime and it can really be heard in their performance here.

Before I talk about each individual, I must mention that each character was depicted rather well. I could easily empathise with them, even though I’ve not been in the same situations as them and they just seemed so real. I could easily imagine these folks as real people and they behaved just like it.

The main character is a boy/man by the name of Takaki Tono. As a young boy his family moves around a lot due to his father’s job hence he’s always transferring schools. Throughout the entire movie, his mind seems to be occupied and he worries about his relationship with his childhood friend Akari from whom he is separated. He writes letters to her while he is younger and as time goes on the communication dies off. His personality is a quiet and pleasant one, he is sporty since he plays football (soccer for Americans) and does archery later in life. Later on in life as things start weigh down, he develops bad habits like drinking and smoking. As an adult, he seems to have a job as a programmer with some big company.

Akari Shinohara is the next most important character. Early on she sends letters to Takaki and values their relationship. She’d put in a lot of effort and really go the extra mile for him. A funny metaphor to use since this anime is about the increasing distance between people. Would she still go the distance when they are further apart? She is similarly a gentle and kind person and seems to be a patient person. But people change with time and she seems to get herself together very easily with time. Probably the most normal of the bunch, even though all 3 characters are realistic and ‘normal’ to an extent.

The final main character and really the only other character of note at all is Kanae Sumida. This girl fell in love with Takaki Tono during middle school and followed him to high school. They spend plenty of time together and other folks think there is something going on between them, one guy even remarks that she is Takaki’s girlfriend, which he truthfully denies. Her sister is a teacher at the school and she owns a dog. She has spent 6 years trying to learn to surf and hasn’t yet managed to successfully ride a wave. She seems lost and doesn’t know what to do with her life. Most of all she is too shy to confess her feelings to Takaki. At first I disliked this character for butting in and creating a love triangle, but you soon realise it isn’t exactly like that (there is no love triangle). I was honestly rooting for her towards the end.

The story of this one hour movie is not easy to grasp. It’s mainly about the distance between people and how they both literally and metaphorically drift apart. Speed is referred to often, the title comes at the start when Akari mentions it’s the speed at which cherry blossoms fall. Other speeds are mentioned for other thing, I think a rocket in the second part.

It’s split up into 3 sections, which could be called episodes. The first episode seems to be set while the main characters are 13 years old, while they’re in Junior High. Takaki and Akari feature in every episode and here in this first one, these two friends are living away from each other and sending each other letters. The main event around which there are flashbacks and delivery of background is a very long journey via train during heavy snow Takaki is taking to go and see Akari. The second episode is set in their final years at high school, the characters are 18 and Kanae is introduced, with Akari featuring much less. Both characters ride mopeds/scooters to school. Here the story revolves around the end of high school and the characters having choose where to go next and it mainly concerns Kanae and her feelings for Takaki. The final episode, the shortest seems to write the difficult conclusion to this anime. The characters are all adults and Kanae doesn’t seem to actually appear. Instead it shows where Takaki and Akari are as adults and how they are doing. It also seems to show an extra character Mizuno, the girl with glasses and pigtails who seems to care for Takaki.

And here lies the issue with which there is contention and accusations of this being overrated. Some people may be dissatisfied at how the plot isn’t completely fluid from one part to the next or the ending. Dare I say it’s a realistic plot, certain things do not develop on purpose and then folks would ask, what’s the point about writing fiction about a real thing where nothing interesting or amazing happens?

The key topic depicted here is romance, or something like it. Due to its realism I’d argue there is no romance depicted here, events occur as they would in real life (I only believe romance is a fictional concept, such love doesn’t actually exist). The first episode shows the ‘love’ formed on a whim, something temporary like it often is in real life. A desire for something that is lost or far away, I’ve definitely felt that before. With many things, you only realise what you had, when you no longer have it and then you want it more than you ever did when you had it in the first place. Taking things for granted it seems. And then the rest of the movie shows that people forget, whether on purpose or not and give up caring. They eventually get to grips with it and move on, maybe they should or maybe they shouldn’t. The second part shows that this so called ‘love’ is usually a one sided thing, actually an infatuation. And only by spending time with the person who invokes such feelings do people realise that it isn’t exactly what they hoped it would be. The final part wraps the bow around the whole package. Especially in that part, but also in the previous bit, it shows that in real life things don’t go the way you want. ‘Happily ever after’ is just a fairy tale and people seem to be oblivious to how others around them feel. Not completely, but for the important things. People may ask, what’s the point if it’s just going to occur realistically, where’s the fictional fantasy that compels folks to this media form? I guess I’m also a bit disappointed at the ending. But that's how it was meant to be and it had a point to make, which it did.

All three parts could be said to be emotional. I think I actually shed towards the end, but I realise it was probably my allergies, it’s summer and my nose/sinuses/throat and eyes were acting up all day. I definitely did feel a lump in my throat. I’m not trying to spoil things, but I would expect the plot to happen the way it did in such a realistic story. It could be depressing to translate this stuff to real life, but thankfully I’m a person who, inside, is at peace with both myself and the world around me. This is just a story, it could be based on real life events, but remember it’s just a piece of fiction. No need to get so worked up about it.

Conclusion

This anime is difficult to interpret at times, that could be down to it being very real and the fact that not everything is obvious. But it’s a beautiful movie, something realistic and something people could relate to. I’ve also felt the difficulty of drifting apart from people, even though it’s not in the same way (as I said, love isn’t real). A must-watch, I’d recommend this anime to everyone, especially folks who don’t like most anime. Give this a try and see if this anime is something that appeals to you, plus it’s only an hour long. Each individual part about the anime, is done very well. The one thing that may let this movie down in some folk’s eyes is the ending. I’d say it’s realistic, but it’s also a tad disappointing. I think it was meant to be that way. It had a point to make and it successfully made it. I enjoyed this anime a lot. I’m glad I watched it and it makes me thankful that I discovered anime, that there are gems like this one.

Family-friendliness Rating: 1/5 Could be difficult to understand (lower is better)

Overall Rating: 9.5/10 (higher is better)

Yingjie's avatar
Mar 22, 2015

Episode 1 and 2 were well made, with nice slow paced character development between Tono and Akari. Reaching Episode 3, the hard working Tono suddenly changes and becomes a loser, sobering over losing contact with Akari. The story gets rushed, new characters got introduced but thats it, nothing more was told. In the end, we learns that he moves on from Akari after seeing the cherry blossom falling like their promise. At first I was confused at why everyone was saying it was a good ending. I read explainations about it's realism and that life moves on for everyone, whether we like it or not. However the juxtaposition of Tono's state from the beginning of Episode 3 to the end was just too drastic, not even normal people can come in terms with their feelings that quickly, let alone that person being Tono, who sobbed for over 10 freaking years.

Personal complaints:

In Episode 1 the way how Tono lost his letter to Akari was just too cliché, I anticipated something along the line when the snow started delaying the train. This then lead to Akari not showing her letter to Tono, I really disliked these chain of events.

In Episode 3, the story is set in 2008 and we see Tono browsing his computer, during this time he has clearly owned the computer for a while, with the internet existing why has he not looked for Akari on using the web? This really annoys me.

Tono narration wanting to go back being 13 years old and stay by Akari's side was finished by Akari suggesting that they still share the same feelings, this makes me really frustrated how Akari causally moves on from her feelings for Tono and getting engaed with someone else when Tono falls apart in despair.

At the end, when crossing the train tracks, he hints that he recognised Akari straight away, yet continued to walk across when he could've stopped in the middle with Akari. Akari didn't wait for Tono because she didn't want to hurt his feelings, her narrations on the train tells me that she still loves Tono and would prefer him over her fiancé, so her letting him go just makes me think that she would regret her life for making this decision.

emmarose2000's avatar
Mar 20, 2015

So 5 centimeters per second is made out to be this amazing movie.

Truth is it dosen't live up to the hype. IT WAS A HUGE LET DOWN.

The movie starts off okay but that's as good as it gets.

(since the show was split into 3 episodes, I'm going to review each part seperatly)

1st part

So much time is wasted with shots of him on a train, not doing anything. It is so annoying when they just show him looking at his watch. This keeps on hppening for a good chunk of the first part.(In all fairness a waste of time they could have done a time lapse orsomething to speedit up)

This part is the part where they show the flashbacks and explains everything of what the movie revolves around. In all fairness the flashbacks where the high points of the movie.

2nd part

This part is quite good but in all fairness would be good if it was it's own movie. This part had nothing to do with the original story. So in all this part just left me confused about what was going on. It left so much unexplained.

3rd part

So this part was just a very lng music video for a very bad song. It dosen't really help paint the picture. In reality it just confused me even more.

I had huge expectations and I was let down. Just for me to understand what was going on I had to google it. And reality this movie BORED me to death.

jeffywolfking's avatar
Feb 27, 2015

So i just randomly picked a title from my crunchyroll list, and happend to come across 5 Centimeters Per Second. I enjoyed the beginning up untill about the 55 minute mark. Now this could possibly contain spoilers, so you've been warned. I felt as if the resolution of the movie was going nowhere. Maybe it's just a missed concept that i happened to overlook. maybe i'm at fault. Alas. The song at the end absolutely killed it for me. The fact that there ultimately was no resolution, and that i was left to interpret the whole rest of their lives. really bugged me. Maybe it's because i'm a romantic, maybe it's because the character growth was very well done. But i felt like the ending took away exactly what i had grown to like about the characters, i dunno. maybe i'm just dumb.

Thiswillkillyou's avatar
Nov 19, 2014

5 Centimeters per Second was the first contact i had with Makoto Shinkai's work and i was completly blown away with it. I never though i could see such beautiful scenary with something that is animated rather than 3D. It's safe to say i became a fan of Mr. Shinkai since that moment (at the time of this review i already saw the majority of his work but 5 Cm has a close space in my heart).

I won't be too long with this review because i feel that this is rather a anime that you should experience for yourself first and than talk about it. The story although it's something we already saw before, Shankai does it in a way that makes it fresh and realistic rather than crafting something "happy" or to please people overall.

I assume you heard about 5 Cm animation before seeing it, and like me, thats what intrigued you in the first place and i must say it's the best looking anime i have ever saw hands down. His work in the animation and sound desing is flawless and nothing i could say would make that justice.

Definitly see it if you like slice of life /romance animes or animes overall since this is a master piece.

TaoSeven's avatar
Oct 12, 2014

God I love this film, I try and watch it at least once a year as I can always relate to it. The story is beautiful yet heartwrenching and the art is just jaw dropping.

sourusophy's avatar
Aug 11, 2014

Guess it's gonna be analyse and review so care for spoilers.

I. Story

Some people say it's typical boy x girl setting - that might be truth, I don't see it like that. We see how the main character(boy) "develops" over the years and comes to interact with world and other people. Nothing much was shown about Akari(girl) which was dissapointing. It's divided by three arcs which can be summarized in;

Might contain spoilers

It starts in 90's and ends up modern days.

Cherry Blossom - Arc is about Akari and Takaki living together and starting to meaning something to each other and being closer every 5 centimeters per second ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). Unfortunatelly they are being separated after some time and here the rest of the story begins.

Cosmonaut - Takaki is now in the third year of senior high in Tanegashima. It is only shown how he interacts with another girl called - Kanae. She's in love with him and we see the process of this love.

5 Centimeters Per Second - As you can read from the wiki "It is 2008. Takaki is now a computer programmer in Tokyo, while Akari is preparing to get married to another man." Which you can't see in anime - it is lightly implied I guess.

Spoilers are out!

Actually anime shows us the pictures, but little to no story - there is no deeper sense in what we see nor there is no dialogue to fill out something. Manga actually shows us the story without this beatiful images - so I think the anime is fairly symbolical. I haven't read much into the manga, but as far as I can tell it's far more than anime - maybe the novels are even further in this. So saying how good and developed et cettera the story is for me is inappropiate.

II. Animation

Sometimes it was fancy - like someone pointed out for art's festival. Well it's quite beatiful and you could call it beatiful picture of nature, but it has no deeper meaning.

III. Sound

Haven't paid much attention to it, but oh man the sound in the background is really amazing in one moment I felt like I was standing there or somewhere near(wasn't wearing headphones also). Overall It was very fine except that ending song, which made me burst in laugh. For me it was retarded to put that in this moment, also it was poorly sang.

IV. Characters

There isn't much of a character development. We can only see that the trio is haunted by the demons of the past. There is nothing to tell about them except Takaki - there is little about him. To be quite honest from the first look they are quite nice, but if you look into them - it's terrible, honestly. Personally I cheered up for Takaki's actions - the longer the movie went I saw there is no meaning in his actions.

Some analyse - might be spoilers.exe

Takaki Tōno - Main character, we see the story from his point of view mostly. Seriously his actions are so unclear that it made me some kind of angry to watch him. He states his love for Akari, then thinks that the kiss says out his feelings and everything. Well from the start he did not cared about her - she had to wrote to him. Later he could do the same instead he decided not keep contact which he later regreted and made him unhappy in life. The better ending for him would be him doing any type of suicide showing his regret - then we see in last moment the smile which means he moves on, as does the Akari by not standing there. It's a nice symbolism. Well after all being a crybaby or depressed is his own fault. Also his development wasn't much of a deal until him "moving on".

Akari Shinohara - The main girl which we know nothing about in anime(in manga we actually see her wedding). So she is another symbol.  Actually felt a bit bitter, about them not ending together - "not a fairy tale" you might say :) She is actually pretty nice in the manga.

Kanae Sumida - Okay, the character seems so senpai notice me - it's actually pretty weird for me to follow someone so hard(it must be yandere if you go from middle school to high school just for that person) and never tell them their's feelings(and again! she does so in manga! when he is about to leave the village), also expecting pretty nothing. It is shown that she too did not moved on, maybe later doing so(in manga we only see her meeting him when she sits on bench, also telling her crush to give her time - propably because of her haunted past. She's still some kind of lacked character due to senpaism - only her "doubts" give her some more insight in her persona.

V. Overall

I've got some experience with long distance relationship so the part one touched me nicely. Anyways everything was explained above.

Why 6/10 if the grades are higher? I add my personal enjoyment and other things into play - quite frankly I forced myself to watch it. Not, because of the anime being slow-paced(Spike and Wolf was fun to watch) - it's something deeper i think.

Should you watch it? If you feel like so. Think about it more as a painting rather than something which will emotionally entertain you - also marking - it is specific in some kind. If you wanna know more about the story just read the manga or novel. I would watch it again, if I ever pushed myself to watch it.

Analysing it and having a deeper thought is much more satisfying than watching lol.

athenawolf101's avatar
Jul 27, 2014

Warning, spoilers. I am summerizing this anime so that people who would rather get straight to the point know what it's about.

There are quite a few words I have for this anime. 5 Centimeters Per Second (秒速5センチメートル Byōsoku Go Senchimētoru) is a cold romance that gives you a real taste of reality. The story starts out when both Takaki Tōno and Akari Shinohara both transfer to the same school on the same day, and quickly become friends due to their similar way of thinking. Throught the anime both Takaki and Akari are poked and prodded at for being together all the time, and even get their name written on the black board together. Being younger, they think they are totally in love. But this all changes when Akari suddenly has to move. Both promise each other to watch the cherry blossoms fall together, then Akari comes out of the picture. Half a year later, Takaki starts to recive warm and loving letters from Akari. Writing back and forth, they still are able to keep the attraction to each other they have. As they write to each other, Takaki finds out he is moving as well, so Takaki and Akari plan with each other that they'll meet, and Takaki prepares this meeting with a letter saying the things he feels he cannot say with tounge. As he tries to meet up with her, there are many delays throught the what, 20? 20 minutes of pure torture, wondering if Takaki will meet Akari after all. And get this, on his trip, he loses the letter. (I had a never ending rage moment after that.) Takaki is a little late, and surprised Akari is oh so happy to see her Takaki. They both share a slightly cold meal by the fire running at the train station, and take a walk into the dark snowing night. They both truly believe that their ment to be, and kiss under the cherry tree. Because it was too late for Takaki to go home now, they both bundled themselves together in a shed and slept together. Takaki boards the next train that morning, and as the train leaves, sad Akari looks over. She also had a letter, only difference is she didn't have the courage to give it to him. As the second half starts, it starts with Takaki in a new school, and a new heroine into the story.

Summing part 2 up as quickly as possible; Takaki waits and waits but never recieves a letter from Akari, nor a message on his cell. Now here enters the new heroine Kanae Sumida. This girl has expereinced love at first sight, and meets up frequently with Takaki after school. Kanae finds something about Takaki that she can't quite put her finger on, and with every meeting tries to get to know him better and better. Now while this is happening, stupid Takaki is clouded with the fact that he hasn't heard from Akari, and is completely oblivious to Kanae's approaches. In the end, Kanae decides it's finally time to confess. But what, whats this? Here comes stupid Takaki again, and Kanae sees what that little thing about him was. Kanae realizes that Takaki only has eyes for Akari, and after thier walk home together, part 2 ends.

Now heres the ground breaking part 3; It is now 2008. Takaki is a grown man, yet, he didn't turn out the best way he could. Takaki is now a computer programmer, and only working as such to get by. Takaki tried to move on, but obviously he didn't if he is moping over it every single day. Now while Takaki is moping around, Akari is one happy and lucky lady. Akari is getting married, and she is traveling back to their home town to meet her to be husband. Both, thinking to each other, think about their walk together in the snow, and their promise to watch the cherry blossoms together. Takaki quits his job and his ex girlfriend even tries to contact him, but to no avail. In the end, both walk across the train tracks where they made the promise they'd watch the cherry blossoms, as they both make it to the other side, both turn the other way to look at each other. But as soon as eye contact is almost made, a train goes by. Takaki waits, hoping to still see Akari on the other side. When the train ends, poor Takaki sees Akari is gone, and the story ends with a smile on his face.

The story, in my opinion, was good, I just wasn't a fan of some points. I had no problem with the animation, sound or charcters, so they all get a perfect score. All around this anime was an 8 for me. Maybe I'll come back and watch it sometime, and find the hints I missed this time.

jerxpert's avatar
Jul 25, 2014

Not trying to bash the creators of this anime, I won't lie, I could see where the love of this anime is. But to me, possibly because I don't have the experience in a "long-distance" relationship, I did not like the story. Nothing was solved and it all repeated back as a dream that never happened. I was really disappointed to see it end the way it did and it felt almost like a waste of time. I was hoping for many points of the story to be solved. Again, not trying to bash the creators, but just putting my honost opinion down.

6.5/10 characters
Wirusan's avatar
Jul 3, 2014

Watched on DVD Release

Foreword

Ah, 5cm Per Second, the speed at which my teardrops fall. Was it good? Is it Overated? WILL YOU FEEL? Well here's Wiru-sans take on it to answer those questions! Lets get started but first let me grab something....

Handy dandy tear sponges

When I see something that I really want to watch I put it on my watch list and I avoid seeing any and everything about it so I go into the movie completely blind. I don't watch the trailers, AMV's, or look up plot details. I go into the movie knowing the name and general theme. With that said this anime was NOT what I expected it threw me off completely. The story revolves around Takaki Tono and his affection Akari Shinohara

The story follows  a series of three shorts taken place at different points in time. These are all in order but it was very jarring for me to see the credits roll after the first short ended I was super angry, then I shortly noticed they made them as shorts. The movie encapsulates the notion of love and how it is in the real world. It is about distance and how to deal with the varying types of distances in your life, emotional and physical. Hence the name 5 Centimeters Per Second (Which is a cool ass name) It is the speed at which cherry blossoms fall to the ground. It is also the speed it takes for this anime to stab my feels

The story provides a lot of character development  and we see Takaki grow physically and mentally. This story however isn't sunshine and rainbows it can get utterly depressing at times...Most of the time. The movie should be called "The Melancholy of Takai Tono

terrible photoshop is terrible

The ending for this anime is probably hit or miss for a lot of people. My first impression of the ending was a bit like this

What the feel? Is that it?

and i'm sure a lot of other people were like that too. Without giving too much away I want to say we are so used to seeing the hollywood romance, that when we don't see it we think there's something wrong. However this is not true , endings need to match up with the shows tone and wrap up the overall theme and this one does so perfectly.

(I made a gif of what the final scene felt like to me. Spoilers ahead so if you haven't seen the movie don't click the link)

(I also made a video on how this ending felt, spoilers ahead.)

Story: 10

The motherfucking animation in this damn movie is fantastic. The scenery is beatuiful, character designs are beautiful. This shit almost looks real at times.

I don't think anymore needs to be said just watch the movie it is undeniable the animation is great. Sure there are probably some times where it isn't AS good as other scenes but it is consistently great throughout the entire movie and for that it gets a 10

Animation 10

My LORD the sound!

Ok it's actually more like this

Makoto Shinkai knows what he wants the music in his movies to sound like and whatever he chooses always fits perfectly. This movie could literally be just scenery and music and it'd still be enjoyable. This music evokes so much emotion out of you, I can't listen to the score without catching the feels. Tenmon composed the music and for every tear that was shed he gained 5 years on his life span so Tenmon is immortal now. The music for each part has it's own feel to it for the first short the music seems innocent and passionate.

While the music for the second part has a country feel to it, and can be exhilirating at times. It speaks so well for the setting and the characters

The music for the third part kind of reflects on the first one, the music in the final short to me feels almost like it's completely focoused upon reflection. The ending theme fits perfectly, it's like that piece you've been dying to have in tetris

As for the dub and the sub they are both equal in terms of quality.So you're good with either or.

Sound 10

The cast of 5cm is a small one with 3 main characters mainly focusing on 2 of them.

The Main two are:

Takaki Tono

&

Akari Shinohara

The story follows these two childhood friends who develop feelings for each other. Little do they know life has its own developments for the both of them and they both have to face them and deal with the results.

The third character is

Kanae Sumida

Kane is a country girl who has trouble studying and concentrating, and like everyone her age she really doesn't know what she wants to do with her life.

The Characters in 5cm all feel real, while there are some minor characters I didn't mention these  are the main characters and the ones you see the most development out of. Each character learns a lesson of their own about distance and their lessons are all ones we need to learn in our lives.

Characters: 10

Overall

5cm per second does it's job, it shows a realer side to love than most animes, or even movies do. This anime is truly outstanding and definately has earned it's spot in my dvd collection. I gladly give 5cm per second a 10/10

Verdict: Outstanding

5cm per second gets a Must Watch rating with a high Buy It!

My first 10/10. A 10 does not indicate perfection it is a score giving to animes that are truly outstanding and are examples of what we should see more of in this industry

As always this is ya boy Wiru-san's take, make sure you follow me on my blog Guyfawx.tumblr.com and on youtube under the channel SwordnKey. And stay away from woodchippers!

Check out the AMV I made about this movie!

YuiYui's avatar
Jun 9, 2014

Warning this review may contain spoilers

This review is for the movie 5cm per second, to start off this movie is slow-paced and slightly confusing with the sections but in the end it made sense. The storyline is like your basic romance story with a twist this is what makes it so different compared to the typical romance, the story reminded me of the Clannad and Clannad After Story anime, and if you watch it the basic story is pretty similar. The story overall is detailed and quite cute when it came round to it. The animation was really cool, the scenery and character designs were really detailed and they fit the theme perfectly.  I can’t really say much other than the story was pretty rushed due to it being fit into a hour but that is just me.

The music is the only thing I can’t really remember much about, but when I did hear it the few songs in the background were cute and they again fit the theme just about perfectly, this is one thing that made the anime what it was. The characters for the ones they focused on were pretty well explained and each of the main characters story were truly amazing when it came to detail. There again isn’t much to say in this case.

The overall movie was really detailed and I was shocked when I saw the detail in both the story and the characters, I was really impressed. I say if you liked the idea of a one-off slow-paced movie, just as an extra to watch this would be a perfect choice and that ends my 2nd monthly marathon review.

~AngelBeatsYui~

TheNextrumProject's avatar
Apr 28, 2014

Spoilers (Duh)

Historia

Nos cuentan que dos morrillos se conocieron en la secundaria o algo así, ninguno tiene más amigos y están solos y decepcionados de la vida, se hacen los mejores amigos pero por azares del destino, tienen que separarse. Una historia que ya nos han contado varias veces, pero esta película maneja la misma temática pero de una manera realista, no tan dramática y teniendo en cuenta ambas tendencias de responder: superarlo o no superarlo, mientras el tipo vive traumando hasta el final, la chica sigue adelante. Te enseñan la situación del protagonista a través de los demás personajes, lo cual le un toque muy bueno, no es como en Evangelion que solo ves como se flagela psicológicamente y termina por cagarte el personaje, por mas bueno que sea.

Personajes

Nada que mencionar, es más como manejan la situación del protagonista la que hace más amena la película. Es una película así que no hay mucho desarrollo de los personajes, pero si reconozco que el planteamiento, aunque muy cliché, fue bueno.

Final

Un final, cliché por supuesto, pero la forma en la que fue llevada la película hace que lo disfrutes, aunque ya sepas exactamente lo que va a pasar. Te da gusto que el protagonista haya reaccionado y no estás gritándole porque te cago a mitad de la película y hasta ahora hace algo, he ahí que tan bien llevada fue la trama. Y claro, tal vez dejes caer algunas lágrimas.

Producción

• Animación: Nada que mencionar, se vio bonito.
  • OST: Nada que mencionar, buenos solo de piano.
  • Openings y endings: No soy fan de la rola del final, me sentí como en un capitulo de Dr. House cuando te ponen esas como trovas en ingles para que reflexiones un poco, aunque creo que poner una rola con pianito para que llores hubiera sido más cliché, aun así no deja de ser una buena canción.

Veredicto

Le doy puntos porque muchos dramas hoy en día solo ponen situaciones con posibilidades increíbles para que te pongas a moquear o salgas decepcionado de la vida un tiempo. Pero una situación tan simple, tan plausible, tan común, aunque claro no todas a ese grado, hacen que te sientas pero tampoco es la cosa más triste del mundo. Tal vez como serie, hubiera dado más tiempo para simpatizar con los personajes y llorar por eso, contrario a lo que hacen la mayoría de los dramas, donde lloras solo por la situación. Igualmente es muy disfrutable.

PoeticHorrorShow5287's avatar
Mar 25, 2014

Some Spoilers Ensue:

Hmmm...I'm not too sure about this one. I didn't hate it, but I wanted more for sure. It could have been brilliant had Shinkai Makoto given the characters some depth. There was hardly any character development and sadly, that made it hard for me to care what happened to anyone. it seems like the three stories were derived from love poems. It was an  interesting and subtle take on heartbreak which initially made me want to watch this. Out of the three parts, I found the first one to be the best. Though, again, had I had some background, I would have been much more invested in the characters. The second part had almost nothing to do with the storyline other than to show you another girl was in love with our protagonist...though i loved the tie in to space and the bits of scifi trickling through. The third part was just frustrating. She was just marrying someone else? Why? What happened over the course of those emails? I just wanted so much more background. Grrrrr.

Technically I found it to be lovely, though some parts were sub par. The scenery and animation were insanely beautiful which made it a delight to see in HD, however the characters were stock looking and void of personality other than Sumida...but still, even she wasn't great. The voice acting was okay, but most of the story was read to you not so much acted out. I did however love the soundtrack. Gorgeous melancholic music.

Overall, I watched this so I could have a nice cry, but sadly, it didn't come. Lack of character development and rushed delivery resulted in no feeling. Hopefully this can be remade and fledged out into an anime series because the story isn't terrible. I have yet to read the manga so hopefully its better, Till then, I'd pass on this one.

5/10.

Watched subbed.

Sianeka's avatar
Jan 28, 2014

5 Centimeters per Second is the purported speed at which a cherry blossom petal falls from a tree to the ground, and like the ephemeral cherry blossom, the powerful love of two people separated by fate withers from the harsh toll taken due to the effects of time and distance on their relationship. This heartrending tale explores the effects of such a passion.

Tono Takaki and Shinohara Akari meet in elementary school and become very close friends.  Their relationship deepens even further in middle school. Then Akari has to move away, due to her parents' job changes but they keep in touch via correspondence.  They have a memorable meeting again, spurred by an upcoming move even farther away to be made by Tono. Life continues and over time, the distance and lack of contact erode their closeness, although each continues to feel affection for the other.

This movie, however, isn't really about these two characters. The focus of the movie truly is the atmosphere, and the affect of distance on the relationship. The graphics are gorgeous - truly stunning visuals, noteworthy scenic settings, spectacular lighting effects, smooth flowing animation. Character designs are not as memorable as there is nothing special to distinguish each person but this isn't so important as the movie really isn't about these characters but instead is focused on telling their story and is focused on their relationship and the effects of time and distance on that relationship.  The true leading character of the story is Time and the true plot is about the passage of Time. Soundtrack is suitably apropos, with full-sounding but understated instrumentals and perfectly orchestrated background sounds; nothing is ever jarring or out-of-place and nothing is missing. The amazing visuals and perfectly integrated accompanying soundtrack mesh perfectly to create the rich, moving, and affecting bittersweet atmosphere that defines this movie.

The movie's director Makoto Shinkai's vision of love and the pain of a desperate and hopeless love is precisely depicted, with not a note out of place. We feel the anguish of these characters and their enforced separation, as circumstances escalate the time and distance between the two leads. We are left to perceive and savor these feelings, as we are not given further plot advancements nor additional character development upon which to focus our attentions.

The story is told in three distinct episodes. Each episode is a tone poem or the summoning of a mood, of the wondefully lush atmosphere of despair and longing felt by the characters involved. There isn't very much actual "story" related to us during these episodes, and they all involve a time skip to a new place and time in the lead character's life, but the evocation of the emotions brought out by each little dramatization relates the tale more effectively than a more detailed and linear presentation would have.

FullmetalCowboy24's avatar
Nov 22, 2013

Critic’s Log - Earthdate: November 19, 2013. Review #68: 5 Centimeters Per Second

Let’s countdown! 1…2...3...4…5 Centimeters Per Second.

This is a tale of two people, Takaki Tono and Akari Shinohara, who were close friends but gradually grow farther and farther apart as time moves on. They become separated because of their families yet continue to exchange contact in the form of letters. Yet as time continues to go on, their contact with one another begins to diminish. Years pass and the rift between them grows ever larger. However, Takaki remembers the times they have shared together, but as life continues to unfold for him, he wonders if he would be given the opportunity to meet Akari again as the tale embarks on Takaki's realization of the world and people around him.

To be technical, this is a CoMix Wave Inc. production and there is a high chance you have never heard of this studio before, just maybe. I can say that CoMix Wave is a studio that can potentially rival Studio Madhouse. Why? Because the animation in this film is unbelievable. The backgrounds, the movements, the visuals, and the designs are astounding and very appealing to look at. This is a movie that can be animated beautifully without throwing in action scenes of any level. I will say that the character designs can be seen as hit and miss, but this is not something I think is worth being picky about I guess. I actually was okay with the character designs. Regardless of the design of characters, The movie still looks amazing.

The music by Tenmon compliments the movie very well. The piano pieces fit with the soothing imagery in the movie, even though the story isn’t as “soothing” as the visuals and music, but none the less it does compliment the movie. Tenmon might be known for his involvement in Ef: A Tale of Memories, and Ef: a Tale of Melodies (for those that have seen it) Tenmon is usually picked by Makoto Shinkai when it comes to his movies, so I can see why he was picked. The soundtrack may sound generic, but it fits. The ending theme song “One More Time, One More Chance” by Masayoshi Yamazaki is a nice song but might not be memorable for some. Take it or leave it on that particular song I guess. The music is pretty good if you want it to fit in with the movie, as far as outside of it. It’s not too listenable to some people.

When voice acting is concerned, The Japanese cast sounds natural. This is something to be expected with this kind of film. I am totally fine if there are no big name seiyus in an anime. I do like to hear some new talent from time to time. However, the casting isn’t phenomenal on their part, but I still think it’s fitting. As with the dub, well… There are two dubs to this movie. First was the ADV dub and then the Bang Zoom! dub (which I’ll call it the “Bandai Version”). I’ll start with the ADV dub… It’s Terrible! David Matranga sounds off, Hilary Haag has had better roles, and Serena Varghese is… gee, I don’t know… maybe not worth noting about!!! This is not a good dub and I think there could be a potential reason as to why. It turns out the ADR director for this dub is Steven Foster. When I reviewed Highschool of the Dead and thought the dub was terrible not only because of the casting but because of how irrationally different it is to the original Japanese script in terms of adapting it to the English Version. Surprisingly, the dub stays true to the original Japanese script, but the major problem is the casting. This dub is terrible and sometimes English Dubs tend to get mixed for me whenever ADV was involved in it. Princess Tutu was one of the ADV dubs I thought was a good dub. For some reason, ADV Films’ license of this movie expired and Bandai rescued it at that time. They decided to re-dub the movie, probably because ADV’s dub was a total FAIL! and the Bang Zoom! dub is a hit and miss. Johnny Yong Bosch plays Takaki Tono and is a much more better choice than David Matranga, but he could have been better in this one. Don’t get me wrong, I think Johnny Yong Bosch is a wonderful voice actor, but I think there are a few roles where I think he really shines at. Kira Buckland is decent in this movie and that’s pretty much it. Alex Von David does do a decent job for ADR direction and he does give a far more tolerable dub than the ADV dub. But if you want better casting, stick with the Subtitled Version on this one if that’s the case.

If there is one thing I should point out about the movie, It is that there isn’t too much going on with the characters, but there was a reason for it. This movie is actually has 3 parts and they all feel like short films, but it still has a linear narrative. These 3 segments are actually showing the specific stages of the main characters’ lives. The first segment during their elementary school days, the second in their high school days, the third in their adult life. There isn’t much character development except that you will have to fill in the blanks. The characters aren’t really the weakest factor in this movie, This is actually acceptable because even though the characters are generic and normal. The characters are relatable and a viewer could find that they’ve been in a similar scenario before. The characters aren’t really interesting, but they are portrayed realistically in a sense, which leads me to the story...

The story is told in 3 parts, Cherry Blossoms is a strong segment and in my opinion, it is the best segment of the entire movie. The visuals, and even the love story is pretty good. Cosmonaut is almost a mixed bag, but I can see where this one was going. I won’t go into detail much on this one, I think you should see it for yourself. As for 5 Centimeters Per Second which really is what the 3rd segment is called, It is a bit questionable but it has a fitting end for what it was going for. This film lasts only an hour and It is one of the finest modern achievements in animation. What I won’t understand is why people say that he is “The Next Miyazaki”. *Sigh* Do I even need to tell you about Miyazaki-san? Hayao Miyazaki is a beloved animator and he has made charming, magical, and even thought-provoking animated films. I am one of the many that loves his movies. He is a very special name when it comes to anime. Makoto Shinkai is a great visionary when it comes to his feature films. But I don’t think his storytelling is of the same caliber as Hayao Miyazaki, but I will say that this was a touching movie. If you want to see great modern animation, I strongly suggest you see this.

5 Centimeters Per Second was available by ADV Films, obviously that was out of print until Bandai Entertainment rescued it, and...it is out of print again. However, it is available on Crunchyroll with both the Subtitled Version and the English Dub. However, it only has the Bang Zoom! Dub. The Novel written by Makoto Shinkai never made it overseas, but the manga written by Makoto Shinkai and illustrated by Seike Yukiko is available by Vertical Inc.

With all that said, 5 Centimeters Per Second is a very astounding animated film. It has beautiful animation, complimentary soothing music, realistically portrayed characters, and a story that may have not sit well for some but with a movie about relationships (which I won’t go into detail for the sake of this review), at least it was portrayed on a realistic sense. This movie is a must-see. If the first 5 seconds of animation appeal to you, then the rest won’t disappoint.

I give 5 Centimeters Per Second a 9.2 out of 10, it is EXCELLENT!

Feel free to leave a comment.

9.5/10 characters
9.2/10 overall
triplestrike's avatar
Nov 15, 2013

Life is hard. Life is not fair. Life still has moments of undying beauty that can change your life even if the ending doesn't go as you intend. This anime is a bit of a niche for a number of reasons. One being it is a collection of short stories, most anime don't operate that may. Two being the theme of the short stories, Distance. Many shows deal with distance but usually not in a manner as focused as this anime. Three being it is a slow paced show, one without action that says a lot with setting and music.

The stories presented here are touching. Spoilers, they are also hard to handle for some. Everything presented looks great, especially since the show takes time to specifically show moments of beauty. The music plays so well into feeling of the scenes and is the glue that holds the theme together as something more encompassing than you normally encounter.

The characters are strong. They figure things out on their own, they spent time thinking and don't make reckless decisions. Having something so strong that it changes all your decisions can truly be something of malevolent beauty.

Overall this show is great. It really really touched my heart. If you feel like nobody appreciates the beautiful moments the same way you do then this anime is something you really need to watch. I feel like this anime will be on my mind for a long time but I can't give it a higher rating due to lack of closure, even if that is the way it goes. Which it does, life and love is brutal.

8.5