4 Cut Hero - Reviews

Alt title: Si Ge Yongzhe

NinjaWay333's avatar
Oct 21, 2023

I was really blown away from how good this was, considering that the episodes are so short and I haven't heard about this anywhere. Based on the synopsis I was expecting the comedy to take a central role but instead there was a lot of effort put into the animation, soundtrack, plot, and characters. Despite the short episodes the characters were really fleshed out and had distinctive designs. The plot was an interesting reinterpretation that took a joke premise and really stretched it into something compelling. The comedy stemmed more from the ordering of the telling rather than the joke nature of the plot itself which left it a lot of room for comedic timing and fleshed out character motivations. Overall I'm really impressed with it and hope there's another season.

Something that surprised me while watching was that there was very little sexualization of the characters for the viewer compared to what I'd expect of the genre. Instead there was a lot of emphasis on literal fanservice- as in, the interactions between idols and fans, like maid cafes and photoshoots. I actually became super invested in the motivations of the hero, his backstory, and what he would do after going on the run because of this interpretation making it unexpectly take a new direction that wasn't just "flirt and get punched." It was a creative choice that I think caused less jarring tone shifts between the more intense plot and the comedic bits in the episodes too. For people who want to see less of a character getting rejected for the joke and more about the dynamics between genre tropes of fantasy stories and modern fan relationships, this is worth watching in my opinion.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot. I feel like my review isn't doing it justice. But I didn't see any other reviews so I figured something was better than nothing!

Sareza's avatar
Nov 26, 2023

If you haven't delved into the webtoon yet, it's worth exploring. The narrative unfolds with remarkable depth, weaving intricate lore and a richly developed world. The backstories carry a poignant depth, and the future chapters are laced with unexpected plot twists that defy anticipation, even after well-laid foreshadowings. Regrettably, despite its compelling content, the webtoon's popularity has waned during its four-year hiatus.