3x3 Eyes: Seima Densetsu - Reviews

WARPEE's avatar
Dec 12, 2021

This sequel was utter shit. I dont know why people keep praising it and saying its superior to S1. Yeah the animation is better but the whole thing felt like a mediocre battle shounen with an amnesiac MC. That "twist" about a third personality was just dumb. The kind of writing you would expect to find in a soap opera. Also the MC was super annoying in this one with her dramatic outbursts and so was the main villain with his idiotic cartoony laughter. S1 was for the most part a good horror/mystery with a dark and brooding atmosphere throughout but this season decided to set all that aside in favor of boring kung-fu fights and monster boobs (seriously). Overall a major downgrade from the first season in my opinion.

Wyr3d's avatar
Feb 25, 2013

Not a review, so much as a bit of clarification as to what's going on here. For those of you who are confused by all this, read the manga. :P

Naw, actually, the girl Yakamo loves is Pai, who was sealed by Oshio, the snake demon. Oshio did fall in love with Yakamo though, as her memory was also damaged, in that sealing.

In the manga, Oshio becomes a kind of rival to Pai in that respect, but yeah.
If you'll remember, Pai and Yamako were already in love before her consciousness was sealed by Oshio. In the american dub of this anime, it implies that Pai never existed, and that Oshio was the second personality. This is down to poor translation.

The original japanese however does keep better to the plot of the manga. Oshio does "change" but she does not become completely human. Rather, she becomes a recurrent character who can shapeshift at will.

Incidently, Yakamo becomes stronger as the books progress, even taking some of the powers Benares has. This series only covers about the first 3 or so books of the manga, and Yakamo and Pai have many further adventures before the true final.

jypsel's avatar
Jul 2, 2011

The STORY of 3 x 3 Eyes - Seima Densetsu was so much more tolerable for me than it's series predecessor.  I loved the fact that Yoko was a snake who had such personality!  And I thought that the characters really carried this OVA and made it a lot better than the first.  In this OVA, Pai has become Pavarti and does not remember anything about wanting to become human, or that she isn't even a human and Yakumo has set out to find her and remind her of who she is and of their quest.

The ANIMATION was perfectly suitable for an early 1990's anime.  I had no problem with it.  It was neither wonderful nor terrible - a perfect C rating.

The SOUND was better for me in this because Pai was in it less and Pavarti did not disturb me nearly as much with her voice.  The sound rating literally jumps up an entire point because of the lack of Pai, which I appreciated greatly.

I am also much happier with the CHARACTERS this time around.  Yakumo was so much more of a man - his character development was well played in this.  And I much preferred Pavarti to Pai and I also really loved the snake, Yoko.  For me, all of the characters were so much better this time around.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT is probably more of a 6 with this, but I am rating it a 7 because I can see that it was better than my own enjoyment level.  I found this a lot easier to get through than it's predecessor but I was glad I had a dog present with me.

OVERALL, I would recommend this if someone had seen 3x3 Eyes already, regardless of if they liked it or not.  If they didn't, I would give them hope because I did think this was better.