30-sai no Hoken Taiiku - Reviews

electricutie's avatar
Aug 14, 2015

Story- Easy to understand, straight-forward, sticks to the progression of the main plot. And one of my favorite things in an anime, it has a ending that provides closure! Don't get me wrong, it has a good deal of slap-stick hijinks. But they also play into the story progression. I found the whole show from beginning to end highly entertaining!

Animation- The art is good, not great. There are many segments where the art is exceedingly simplistic and cutesy. I did rather enjoy the cencorship decoys.

Sound- The music used didn't really catch my attention but the voice actors were great. The sound effects were silly and not over-used.

Characters- I liked all of the characters. You didn't really get an in depth story on any of them, but for this short anime, you didn't really need it.

Overall- This was a fun anime that I was able to get through in one evening. I would watch it again. Don't understand why this show isn't more popular. Worth the watch.

DavidWP's avatar
Aug 27, 2013

This is a short and fun little series; the characters completely sell it and I kept watching just to spend more time with them. They are all really funny - more in video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqAzr31gNcI

BBFC rating - N/A

My BBFC rating - 15 for strong sex references

7.6/10 overall
Mochiimoo's avatar
Jan 30, 2020

This anime was really funny to watch. The characters are both shy and awkward and I really adore them. It’s relatable on the idea of losing your virginity.

7.5/10 story
ChineseWick's avatar
Feb 5, 2024

"30-sai no Hoken Taiiku" (Health and Physical Education for 30-Year-Olds) is quite the quirky entry in the anime world, blending educational content with humor and a touch of romance. It's aimed at a very specific audience—adults who've somehow slipped through the cracks of romantic and sexual education. Here's a look at what makes this show both awkwardly charming and a bit of a niche watch.

What Makes It Stand Out:

• Unique Premise: The show takes on the challenge of educating about sex and relationships in a way that's both light-hearted and direct. It's geared towards adults, which is rare in anime, offering advice and laughs in equal measure for those who might feel left behind in the romance department.
  • Humor: "30-sai no Hoken Taiiku" doesn't take itself too seriously, and that's part of its charm. The humor is often cheeky, playing on the awkwardness of its 30-year-old protagonists as they navigate the complexities of love and sex with the help of divine guides.
  • Relatability: For its target audience, there's a lot of relatable content here. The struggles of Hayao Imagawa and others in the show, from first dates to understanding the opposite sex, are depicted with a mix of empathy and comedy that can hit close to home.

Where It Might Not Click:

• Niche Appeal: Its very specific focus means "30-sai no Hoken Taiiku" won't be for everyone. If you're not into adult comedy or the idea of a show centered around sexual education, it might not be your cup of tea.
  • Simplistic Animation and Design: The animation and character designs are pretty basic, which fits the show's educational vibe but might be a turn-off for those looking for the visual flair typical of other anime.
  • Repetitiveness: While the show aims to educate and entertain, it can sometimes feel repetitive. The lessons learned by the characters, though valuable, might not provide enough variety to keep all viewers engaged through its run.

Mixed Feelings:

• Educational Value vs. Entertainment: "30-sai no Hoken Taiiku" walks a fine line between being educational and entertaining. Some might find it does a great job at blending these aspects, while others could see it as too didactic or not engaging enough as a story.
  • Adult Themes: The show's straightforward approach to adult themes is refreshing to some but might be seen as too blunt or awkward for others. It's a bold move that serves its educational purpose but may narrow its audience appeal.

In essence, "30-sai no Hoken Taiiku" is an oddball anime that dares to address topics often left untouched in mainstream media, especially in a format accessible to adults. It's commendable for its efforts to blend education with entertainment, providing chuckles and perhaps even useful advice along the way. However, its appeal is undeniably niche, targeting a specific demographic that will appreciate its unique blend of content. If you're in the mood for something different and aren't shy about a bit of adult humor and education, it might just be worth checking out.

jypsel's avatar
Jul 11, 2011

The STORY of 30-sai no Hoken Taiiku is exactly what it says it is - sex education for thiry year old (virgins).  This was a comically produced anime to deal with the growing social anxiety in Japan for older men and women.  Each episode contains lessons for learning how to date and how to have sex presented by "sex gods" who come to help those thirty year old virgins.

The ANIMATION, for me, was not grand, but then again this isn't an anime that's suppose to focus on the actual animation, but the literal message (the lessons).  I thought the dark outline of each character was kind of weird and it was too cartoon-y for my tastes.

The SOUND was fine - the OP was cute and there was nothing wrong with the voice acting.   There's nothing much to say here - it wasn't wonderful, it wasn't terrible.  A solid C rating.

There is no CHARACTER development in this besides the fact of the two main characters becoming more confident in their bodies and in themselves to eventually have sex and form a relationship with each other.  That was the point of the series as well, so it accomplished what it set out to do.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT for this series was probably a 6 - which is basically what I'd give it overall.  It was only 12 minutes long and had they been longer episodes, it might have driven me a little nuts.  I couldn't find it uncensored anywhere so the constant censoring seriously got on my nerves.  I got a few laughs out of the ridiculous sex gods' antics.

OVERALL, I probably wouldn't recommend this anime to anyone unless they're looking for a silly way to learn how to have sex.  (And then you'd have to find it uncensored, then).  Really, if you're going to watch this anime you need to take it for what it is - a sex education anime.  This show set out what it meant to do.