009 Re:Cyborg - Reviews

ulveralucard's avatar
Mar 14, 2014

009 re:cyborg
i was suprised to discover 009 re cyborg was directed by Kenji Kamiyama and even more suprised that despite is involvement in such great anime series as "ghost in the shell" and "eden of the east", this one still remained somewhat of an obscure anime.

i should state that i haven´t watched the original series, and at some points it seems that it would be easier if i was more familiar with them, still they arent necessary to understand the movie.

art
for me this was one of the huge flaws of this movie. granted that the scenery and some action scenes despite a bit clunky do look stunning, in fact this is where the 3DCGI shines the most, the big problem with said animation is how awkward it looks when used on characters, unfortunatly adding to that the characters are also completly devoid of any emotion or interaction.

story
i havent found anything special or interesting here, theres a lot of exposition with characters just standing around and talking, as a way of giving you vital information.

009 re cyborg definitely tries, but ends up being nothing more than a repetitive, boring at times anime with a rushed and dubious message.

Aracnid's avatar
Apr 1, 2024

This was my second time watching it after a long time, and while there were some things I remembered , most of it I did not.

The storyline was definitly interesting. A bit hard to follow sometimes but it was a nice twist on religion. I found myself confused quite often when it came to the political and religious parts of the movie but I quickly caught back up. I don't really like the end just because it seemed like a poor excuse but other than that it was okay.

animation

it was definitley of its time. it was okay, a bit weird in many places but overall it was alright, nothing I could go crazy over. some of the fight scenes were a bit choppy/not very fluid. I really liked the scene where Joe was getting his memories back, the water dropplets hovering in the air were beautiful and that whole fight sequence was just nice on the eyes.

sound

the soundtrack was okay, definitly died out in the backgorund and fighting. None of it was really memorable to me.

characters

the characters were pretty cool, most having special powers and all. I really liked 003's powers, even if they weren't shown often. What I didn't like is that I had no idea what some people's powers were, or I didn't see the power that was in their description. for example, 001 was suposed to have telekenisis but it mostly showed him teleporting people and communicating to others which are psychic powers but not really what I was expecting. It was still cool but it would have been nice to see him in a fight or using his powers in other ways. I don't feel like we got to see enough of each main character so if something did happen to them I had no really attachment or emotion. Overall the characters were very unique but not fleshed out. I am aware this is just one movie in a huge series but even so.

Overall

Overall I'd give this a 5. it wasn't my favourite but it wasnt bad. I'd watch it again if someone asked me too but otherwise probably not. It was a good movie with lots of action and an intresting storyline, but it was also kind of generic and not very memorable.

Tolksie's avatar
May 21, 2022

Its an 3D movie about 009, but for some random reason they thought it was a great idea to put God and angel fossil.

cool animation but yeah, not a great movie.

RileyCai's avatar
Feb 26, 2021

Honestly went unto this movie with high expectations seeing its part of the Cyborg 009 series, but was left in disarray after a nonsense religious plotline with no explanation or clear story. While the fight scenes and such in this movie were very well done besides that I was extremely disappointed after getting to the ending would not recommend