zonkiethegreat's avatar

zonkiethegreat

• Joined Sep 20, 2011

Honey and Clover

Sep 28, 2011

Honey & Clover is about a group of young art college students, essentially finding their places in the world, and learning the meaning of growing up. In a nutshell it is a romantic dramedy filled with some of the corniest "poetic" dialogue I have ever heard in an anime.

If H&C has anything, it's got to be it's "style". I mean hey! It is an anime about art college isn't it? Therefore the soft colors, and whimsical almost "indie" feel of it is necessary to set this anime apart from the pack. I enjoyed the animation, the shading, and the soft transitions between scenes.

Each character had it's own theme song, and I thoroughly enjoyed Shinobu Morita's very fitting theme. The first OP is annoying, however, I found the seoncd OP to be vastly better and far more applicable to the series.

This is a great cast of characters, my personal favorites being Shinobu, Ayumi, Miwako, and to a certain extent Hagu (although she kind of annoyed me at times with her Mary-Sue qualities). That said, I cannot begin to tell you how much I hated Takumi, and Yuta. Those two characters were so unbelievably cheesy and corny...WOW! I couldn't stand them. They were so grating and annoying, that I found myself almost yelling at the screen to move on to some other characters!

Overall

This was an enjoyable series, and I definitely recommend it. It's a bit melodramatic at times, and yeah...corny. However, overall it's a good series with a unique cast and story.