zolfeK's avatar

COWBOY BEBOP ANIME REVIEW

Reviewer Name: Zolfe
Date Posted: 8/26/13
Genre: Sci-Fi, Seinen, Adventure, Episodic

As an anime reviewer I plan to write a fair review for any show I watch with as few spoilers as I can, but will also use my own opinions to rate it because this is my review. My word is not law, you can find that you don't feel exactly the same way as I do and that's fine. Cowboy Bebop is a 1998 anime produced by Sunrise Studios and can be found on countless anime websites.

Score: 7/10
Cowboy Bebop takes place in the not so distant future, mostly in various areas of the Sol Solar System. Earth has become less hospitable and space travel has flourished. Along with the usual force of the law there are also bounty hunters, such as our main characters Spike and Jet. They find high priced bounties on either the bounty program on television or on their computer and go after them. The show is episodic so it is rare for any bounties to be really related to each other, but it an happen. Having several one episode plots rather than one solid plot makes everything seem a little sudden but it's something you get used to.

Artwork
Score: 10/10
Cowboy Bebop has that retro feel when it comes to its animation because it came out in 1998, a time when a majority of these shows were hand drawn and not so digitally animated. The art style works very well though. The color palette used for the show is vibrant when it needs to be, examples include the characters Faye Valentine and Radical Edward. But as I mentioned before the world is less hospitable and there is a lot of space travel. When in space or in a rundown location, the color palette is brought down accordingly. Basically the show's visual aesthetics are perfect, in my opinion.

Score: 10/10
The characters that come up in Cowboy Bebop that I feel should be mentioned in this review include: Spike, Jet, Faye, Edward, and I guess.... Ein. Every character in Cowboy Bebop feels almost normal and very human except for Ein.
Spike is the main character, a bounty hunter that has been working alongside Jet since before the show began. He has a very collected personality for the most part but can flip out from time to time. He is kind man, but not enough to let the sickest people he chases have it easy. He has an average weight on a pretty tall frame and knows martial arts and marksmanship.
Jet is taller, more muscular, and has a robotic arm to replace the one he lost. He is bald with kind of odd facial hair. He functions as the Bebop's chef, gathers information, and has deep conversations with Spike that the viewer might take to heart. He feels like the oldest brother he can relate to anyone who is aboard the Bebop but he is the one who keeps everything together.
Faye has a slender frame, dark purple hair, and green eyes. She dresses kind of scantily-clad with a tight, yellow, leather vest and a pretty short pair of shorts. She is a bounty hunter with a devious personality. She loves to gamble and doesn't care if she wins, she is a woman that like to get caught up in the thrills. She does whatever she needs to to get money.
Edward was my favorite character. A little tan child who looks about the age of 12, with bright red hair, a little white tanktop, and tight black shorts. Edward is androgynous but is most often thought to be a girl despite the name Edward. Edward acts like a younger child at times making sing-song word comparisons to things that come up in conversation among the others, but is also very gifted as a hacker.
Ein. Ein is a corgi that ends up becoming an unofficial member of the Bebop. Ein gets what he's thinking out to everyone from time to time, but is mostly just your ordinary corgi. He gets along best with Edward and Jet and is pretty much just along for the ride.

Soundtrack
Score: 10/10
The opening theme "Tank!" and the closing theme "The Real Folk Blues" are both beautifully composed pieces of music that get you pumped for each episode and bring you back down to earth respectively. Yoko Kanno composed the themes and the background music for the show and as always she did no short of amazing. The voice actors in the original Japanese version of the show did perfect for their characters. If the character wasn't that outrageous, his voice wasn't outrageous. If the character was , it was. You can easily see each voice coming out of their character.

Target Audience
Cowboy Bebop is a show that anyone can enjoy to a certain extent, but I feel that an older audience would best understand the show and be okay with the slower parts of the episodes. Women might like the show but I feel it reaches out to men more.

Overall
Score: 9/10 (average of all other sections +/- reviewers own justified opinion)
Cowboy Bebop is a critically acclaimed anime title often rated very high on lists of best anime ever. At first I wasn't totally understanding of that, but as the show went on I realized that while it wasn't my favorite show it was one of the most well put together. The show is episodic and I feel it should be taken at a slow pace. The people that I know enjoyed it most are the people who watched it on Adult Swim, who watched no more than an episode a day. And that about wraps her up. As they say at the end title card of most episodes "See You Space Cowboy."