zetsubo666's avatar

zetsubo666

• UK
  • Joined Sep 11, 2011

Want a good comedy that takes a more realistic view on life?

That is what you get right here with Yahari while the main focus is on comedy and the incredible relationship between Hikki and Yuki with the unfortunate 3rd wheel Yui it tackles some serious issues in life that people are likely going to have to deal with. While the story might be regarded as slow to some and the development and the slowly building romance between Hikki and Yuki. This is a much easier romance to relate to for a viewer and is needed in an anime industry full of harems or many rushed romances with little to no development at all a famous example would be Asuna and Kirito of how not to do a romance. The true appeal behind this show though is Hikki and despite this show making a mockery of most harems by being one itself sort of but I will explain that later. Hikki being a cynical ass and the dialogue between Yuki and Hikki is brilliant and doesn't stop being amusing.

Definitely a must watch series for anyone who loves a decent comedy and in terms of the harem/romance/comedy genre this series has a solid place in my top 5.

STORY

The main story revolves around Hachiman Hikigaya, Yukino Yukinoshita being introduced to one another as the teacher Shizuka Hiratsuka is seriously concerned for Hikki and tries to set him back on the right path. Despite her behaviour and being responsible for most of the arcs in the series Shizuka sensei is a caring individual who is subtly and slowly helping Hikki improve his social life and have an impact at school. Yui Yuigahama is shortly introduced to to both Yuki and Hikki and is important character that is the key to the bonding of the three of them.

While some arcs are more entertaining than others and a couple of minor characters like Saki really needed more screen time considering she was given a whole character arc the story is strung together well and should be easier for most viewers to relate to. The comedy is well constructed and Hikki's progression is slow and steady and the story ends incredibly well as Hikki is becoming more noticed than he thinks. In the final episode it is shown that he gets caught cheating because people who would have previously ignored him and his prescene started paying attention to him.

The most important thing about the series that makes it stand out though is how the anime shows that in life its important not to always tackle every problem with a kind attitude as Hikki's foil the extremely kind Hayato Hayama finds out. The conflict between Hayato and Hikki is clever and well constructed as they both play roles of blue oni and red oni as Hikki always takes the path of cynical and cruel but tackles the problems efficiently despite being hated for it. This cause Hayato to both admire and hate Hikki at the same time for taking the lonely path of isolation and choosing to improve others lives at the cost of his own.

ANIMATION

Pretty solid not really any major issues but with this kind of series there is nothing that difficult to animate so it doesn't do anything outstanding but keeps a pretty solid quality that doesn't really drop at any point.

SOUND

I enjoyed both the opening and the ending with a lot of good sound effects and BG music but the best part was probably the Voice acting of Hikki and Yuki the back and forth banter between the two of them was incredible.

CHARACTERS

Now as someone who has been doing reviews with one terrible main character after another its a real joy to do a review with an incredible main character and one that there needs to be more of but with variation of course. Definitely the series strong point as the character interactions and the roles in the series are done extremely well. I know that the otaku character wasn't liked much by a lot of people but he really came through in the final episode for me and the anime continues to show the importance of every character in their respective roles. There are a lot of characters as shown on the main page so I will only cover a few.

Hachiman Hikigaya

Sometimes in life you just have to be bad to achieve good things and Hikki's idea of kindness is far more realistic and easier to relate to for viewers than most pretentious rubbish that a lot of anime tries to ram down your throat these days. It was like the author got sick of all the hammy rubbish that is in a lot of anime and created a main character based off that who is very cynical but is actually a pretty nice guy despite being so damn lazy. It is rare to see a male in a harem style series become more popular than any of the heroines but to be fair this isn't really a typical harem. As the one he has the hots for is a trap but its okay all the guys like him too, while Yuki is going to be the one for him eventually that might take a while and poor Yui might have fallen for the wrong guy.

Basically in a nutshell this main character is great and this should be a base for more romcoms to have as a main lead instead of plonkers who are completely obilivious or cowards that run away from the problems they have caused. Even worse 'nice' guys who get into perverted situations all the time.

Yukino Yukinoshita

Now this is the kind of tsundere I can actually like and she is far more realistic too than other tsunderes who either punch you on a regular basis (Taiga), Shoot at you, (Aria) or try to blow you up with magic (Louise). They are also extremely high pitched and very ungrateful and the funniest thing is all the examples are done by the same VA. I hope this is the new standard for tsundere characters so the characters above can die because they are awful and no one wants a partner that beats them up on regular basis unless... Okay I won't go there.

Back to the topic at hand Yukino is also an outcast like Hikki but she is for completely different reasons and is unfortunately stuck in her sister's shadow as despite being a very talented individual herself her sister is even more incredible. The problem with Yukino is her brutal honesty which doesn't go down well in a lot of social situations however Hikki and her go very well as a pair since he doesn't care about it at all. Had a harsh past of a lot people thinking that Yuki is conceited and arrogant but this time round Yui and Hikki are there to support her so her progression as a character is well done and heart warming.

Yui Yuigahama

I have to be honest at first I thought I was going to hate her character a lot since she just seemed very weak willed and got pushed around a lot and appeared to be the typical genki girl. Yui thankfully was a bit of a genki girl but she is a much deeper character than that and I am going to feel sorry for her when she eventually loses Hikki to Yuki but at least their relationship is very sweet between the two girls so I guess she will be okay in the end. The poor girl wasn't weak willed its just she is too kind and while it is obvious she is not happy with the way she is being treated by her so called friend she is just someone who wants to get along with everyone. She was afriad of falling out with her so Hikki saves the day by straight up telling her 'good' friend to stop being a bitch basically so he takes the crap from her while Yui ends up with an improved relationship.

At first she was just repaying him for being kind which was quite clear from the story progression but as things developed she realised that despite the way he behaves that Hikki is probably the kindnest guy she knows. It is clear from the later arcs she develops feelings for him but at the same time has to deal with all the social kind of crap at school which I have seen happen many a time in real life because social hierarchys do exist. Thankfully the snarker later gets her rump roasted and handed right back to her but as someone who treasures friendship she is still slightly controlled by the social hierarchies in school but is slowly becoming a much stronger and kinder person thanks to both Hikki and Yuki.

A real sweetie overall and a particular moment in the anime was very painful to watch but she is essential to the cast and a weclome member as she connects the 3 of them together.

Shizuka Hiratsuka

There need to be more teachers like her really and while she is quite forceful to Hikki and comes across as perhaps a potential harem member as her relationship is bittersweet her and Hikki compliment one another well. Since she is concerned but being a well crafted character she isn't large ham full of cheese so she helps Hikki out indirectly getting him recognised and more involved with school life. At the same time she knows by placing him in these situations she is fixing other problems that can't really be fixed by a teacher. She is definitely more intelligent than she comes across and is another very kind individual despite her joking around a lot and getting angry at Hikki.

One of the best teacher characters I have seen in anime full stop and I hope to see more well crafted characters like her in anime.

Saika Totsuka

Super trap there is more I could say but unfortunately I have written too much already that is the problem when the cast is so good and the he is the male harem member lol.

Hayato Hayama

The foil of Hikki a perfect example of why misplaced kindness is a bad thing and can be extremely cruel. The author does an excellent job of showing why text book kindness is not always the correct path to take and sometimes you need to give people some tough loving to set them on the right path in life. The clash between Hayato and Hikki hits its pinacle as Hikki trolls a certain female extremely hard to the point he was going to give a minor mental break down but was stopped by Hayato. Hayato seems to probably understand Hikki better than anyone else in the series but unfortunately the anime didn't last long enough to fully explain that which is why he thinks Hikki is wrong to take the martyr route to solving most problems. Hayato is another well done character and a nice guy its just sometimes he misreads situations and the does the wrong thing. Another superb character though.

Minami Sagami

A final special mention to you and while the other characters are also extremely well done I decided to give this wonderful individual a write up. The reason why is because her character had a huge impact with me as I have had to deal with her kind at school and they are not pleasant. Using the social hierarchy to their benefit they use others to skip out on hard work while taking the credit for it and at the same time belittle others to improve their relationship with Mr. popular basically Hayato in this case. She is right bitch basically and despite how awful she is as a person Hikki nearly gave her a minor mental break down from trolling her so hard and while she did deserve it even I felt a little sorry for her. A very well constructed character and I am sure that most people have come across someone like her in their life.

Well there you have it, I should have probably written something about other characters like the otaku and Hikki's sister as well as Yuki sister as they were all very well done as well. However its a review and not a book so I wrote about the characters who had the most impact on me. It is disappointing that this great series is beaten by far too many others on this site.Hikki is a much better main character than Maou Sadao from Hataraku Maou sama its just a shame that this series is ranked lower than it which makes me think a lot of people on this site must have very questionable tastes.

This series is incredible and will be one to remember so I am more than happy to approve this great series to anyone who likes something that is a little more than just a comedy. However if you are looking for fan service you won't find any here though. I am more than happy to give this series a rock solid 9/10.

I hope anyone else who watches/watched this enjoys/enjoyed it as much as I did.

kenji123 says...

That's what i mean a great review with logical reason itself!

Mar 15, 2014
dan78 says...

nice review.

i was myself suprised at how much i liked this anime as i could see alot of my 16year old self in the cynicism and disdain for the staus quo that hikki showed.

my only beef with it was how easily he gave in to the sensei's unreasonable demands and the obvious marketing of the trap genre.

Sep 28, 2013
zetsubo666 says...

@airbornefilip

Sorry for the wait to your response but I have been looking and I can't really find anyone similar myself to Hikigaya. I think that is the reason I enjoyed the anime so much because its something refreshing to see and his character is done very well. All the characters were done well if I am completely honest they all had roles in the story and it was just handled very well in general. I am normally no the biggest fan of 13 eps because sometimes they cut off too soon meaning the final result is rushed and you feel disappointed.

Anyway thanks for the comment and I will keep looking for main characters similar to him in the meantime.

Jul 24, 2013
airbornefilip says...

Great review, enjoyed reading it. And 9 means it's great and I agree with that. :)

By the way, except anime Hyouka and TWOGK and manga Iris Zero, do you know any other anime or manga with main characters similar to Hikigaya?

If not, at least where protagonists are intelligent or analytical towards life/society.

Jul 9, 2013
zetsubo666 says...

@RingoStarr1991

I hope you do get around to reviewing it as I am not the most popular person on the site due to my strict views on what is good and what isn't also the fact I am not very kind to series I feel that are over rated. All animes need as much diversity in opinions as possible and your reviews are well constructed as I can tell from my quick browse and easy to read. My own are just rants that arn't always easy to read as sometimes it is just big blocks of words. However it is important I feel to put down the feelings you have felt when you have watched the anime even if it doesn't come off well. Yahari impacted on me in a good way and it is something I have felt has been missing from the anime industry for a while now.

I look forward to seeing what you have to write myself as already Linksword has offered a better constructed review than my own which just goes to show I have much more to learn. Most importantly I hope you do post a review so I can learn something from it that I didn't see myself so thank you a lot for your kind words and i hope you have the time to write one of your own.

Jul 2, 2013