xMaster's avatar

• Canada
  • Joined Mar 29, 2012

Aquarion Evol

Sep 29, 2012

First off, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the original Aquarion. It hit all the right notes in what I look for in a series. 1) It took itself at face value. 2) The cast was entertaining. 3) The plot was interesting. 4) The titular mech looked FREAKING AWESOME, and 5) Over the top action every episode. Basically, it had heart.

It was missing one thing, despite this. This sole thing that would've made that show so much more entertaining and consisent.

Enter 2011/2012's Aquarion EVOL. Taking place roughly 12,000 some odd years after the original series, it features a brand new cast, a brand new DEAVA, a brand new threat and a brand new Aquarion. Sounds awesome, doesn't it?

Sadly, that's where the similarties end.

Part of the greatest charm of the original series was the fact that it didn't take itself too seriously and had fun with what it was doing and it's ridiclous concepts. EVOL, on the other hand, tries to take itself serious too often to be considered entertaining.

The plot is a slight rehash over the original's plot. Similiar to how the Shadow Angels' over the original series abducted, the aptly named Abductors do the same for god know's what reason. The later half of the series still retains some of the original series's tropes and elements but does so with so little grace that it feels forced and unncesary. This leads into my major complaint with the show; The Cast.

I found myself liking almost all of Genesis's cast. The only exceptions Sirius and Silvia, though the OVA did rectify that. On the other hand, EVOL's casted I hated with the exception of two or three characters.

The music is still awesome. That shouldn't be suprising considering AKINO is once again handling the vocal themes. It also proves once again that first opening theme is most likely going to be the better of two openings.

I only found myself continuing watching the show post episode 14 to see what would happen to the characters I actually liked. Even then, most of them got bad ends so now that I look back at it, EVOL was too serious all around and didn't have fun with it.

That's not even going to the biggest retcon in the history of retcons which is possibly the dumbest plot twist in the history of dumb plot twists.

But hey, more Fudo's never a bad thing, right?

Final Rating:

Characters: D+

Plot: C

Sound: A

Animation: A

Overall: C+

(PS: Best girl lost.)