xMaster's avatar

xMaster

• Canada
  • Joined Mar 29, 2012

Gundam SEED Destiny. Oh boy. I'll have fun with this review. I have a lot of comments on this.

PLOT: GSD takes place two years after the events of the original Gundam SEED. The story begins with "Alex Dino" escorting Cagalli to Armory One, to meet with the new Chairman of ZAFT, Gilbert Durrandal. But wait! The armory is attacked and guess what? GUNDAM. HIJACK. AGAIN.

GSD's plot, or what you can call a plot, is literally a copy and paste of SEED's. No innovation regarding the flaws of the series. The show constantly swaps POVs from the Minerva's, ZAFT's new battleship to the Archangel and let me tell you: It sucks. The entire final story arc sucks. Everything post Episode 38 sucks.

Not even Maaya Sakamoto can save every show.

CHARACTERS: Another issue I had with this show is characters. As Gundam SEED was to 0079, Destiny should've been to Zeta. Shinn Asuka, the main protagnist (And I use protagnist loosely here.) is Kamille 2.0 and the hero of the story. That is, until the later half where he becomes the villian. Imagine my suprise when Kira becomes the hero again. I've heard people call Kira's GSD incarnation "Jesus Yamato" and I'll have to agree with them. Lacus and Kira, while interesting in SEED, utterly suck and are complete and utter Gary Stus and Mary Stus, fraught with plot armor like you wouldn't believe. Characters get shafted and completely shipped off because of backstage drama. Cagalli, for instance. Ever wonder why she didn't keep her Gundam despite knowing how to pilot it? It's because of bad writing.

ANIMATION: What animation? GSD abuses stock footage. Stock footage to the point you wouldn't believe for 2005 series. Hell, the final battle in the show is literally copied and pasted from SEED with minor ashethic changes. At least it's pretty to look at?

TASTE THE RAINBOW!

SOUNDTRACK: One of my favorite parts of SEED was the soundtrack. If anything, that's the only defining part of this show. The soundtrack, once again, proves that when you have the right people in on a show, it only makes so much of a difference. Oh. Did I mention they probably blew the budget on getting TM Revolution to voice a character who doesn't make a difference at all?

VERDICT: Gundam Seed Destiny is a pile of crap with a rather lame excuse for plot, terrible writing and terrible character derailment. I still wonder; had things been different and Shinn actually had character development he deserved and hadn't devolved into a raging mindless villian and remain the protagnist, maybe the show wouldn't been so bad?

GIVE ME MY SCREENTIME! THIS IS MY SHOW!

GUNDAM SEED DESTINY GETS 3 MOBILE SUITS OUT OF 10.

And that's being generous.

Oh. I forget to mention. They are numerous recap episodes.

Yep.