woodenstarfish's avatar

• Canada
  • Joined Feb 20, 2011

Mars

Dec 30, 2011

The only reason I will not give this manga a full 10/10 is because of the basics - bad boy meets good girl... she wins over his heart and brings forth a change of heart. However, don't be too put off by the cliche that this presents. As 'Mars' progresses the story unfolds to reveal twists and turns that draw you in more than you would anticipate at first glance.

Story: It is truly a complex story. It explores the dynamics of two opposite people falling for eachother, but what truly shines is how it handles personal struggle... even including the secondary and some background characters. Whether it involves suicides or overcoming something difficult it always handles it in a realistic and quite beautiful way. Nothing seems to be irrelevant either - while sometimes a bit confusing and contradictory of itself, the story gives you everything you need for things to make sense and that's mroe than satisfying. If you let yourself be drawn in to it (and I say please do), be wary of how it will grasp your emotions! It will have you jumping around from happy to sad to anxious (to wanting to jump right in to the story and help a character out).

Art: I don't mind the art. It can be quite wonderful to look at and is done quite well. The characters are easy to recognize and are pleasing to the eye. It creates the right impact at the right moment!

I'm not as much of a fan of the coloured pieces inbetween - it makes me feel like I'm reading a rather cheesy romance novel, but that's simple opinion on something that contributes very little to a well drawn manga!!

Characters: I've already touched briefly on characters.  You'll get to explore each character in depth from start to finish, watching them win and lose many battles. They each have very distinctive personalities!! (I can't wait for you to meet Violet, she put a smile on my face.)

This manga is not a light one either - it tackles the harsher side of humanity and happily pushes the characters in to situations that bring out the worst in them. I found that watching each character mature was one of the most lovely and enjoyable aspects of this great manga.

While mangas like this are not typically something I'm in to, I'm finding myself more and more drawn to them. I have not been able to put Mars down and it has managed to sneak a significant place in to my heart. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in romantic mangas that aren't just made of fluff, but that have a bit of depth and excitement to them,

9.8/10 story