wolfemperor's avatar

wolfemperor

• Joined Jun 15, 2010

Bokura ga Ita

Jun 28, 2013

I found Bokura ga Ita one day from a daily suggestion on a site I use to watch anime frequently. It looked interesting so I went to check it out. It had a romance theme, and I usually like these kind of animes, because they are usually heart warming, cute, and funny. Instead, I got so much drama, I felt like I was back in high school. I am not saying I hate drama, I usually like it, and it adds a lot to these types of anime. I just think there was too much drama, and they kept adding more until I had to stop and take a breather from this series. If you like heavy amounts of drama, this would probably be a great anime for you, but if you are looking for a feel good romance, this one has too much drama and you should probably watch something else.

Story:     6/10

This anime has a decent romance anime feel to it. Girl meets boy, Girl falls for boy, they start to go out. Then the drama starts. Normally, small amounts of drama in this fashion work out, but in this story, they just don't seem to know when to stop. If they cut out some of the additional over-dramatized parts that ruined this anime for me, they could cut it down to about 10-15 episodes and It would be a great anime. Another thing that got really annoying in this anime, was all the flash backs. There were flash backs from multiple episodes back which are fine in moderation, and flashbacks from a few minutes ago which should be used as little as possible. In Bokura ga Ita, however, it seemed that they composed about half of each episode of flashbacks. If they put more time into the story, instead of all these flashbacks, it could have turned out to be a great anime.

Animation:     9/10

I think the animation style of this anime was one of the key features that made it unique and have a great feel. This animation style seemed very childish, but that played a strong role in defining the characters and the feel of the anime. It is very hard to use a custom animation style, but I think the animators pulled this off really well for this anime.

Sound:     3/10

I think this is one of the points where the anime lacked the most. The sounds and music for the anime fit for the most part, and in the beggining, I thought they were a nice touch. After about 10 episodes in, I was starting to get a little annoyed at how often the same songs played. I was hoping maybe at 13 episodes in, they would change up the sound track and maybe use different music. Sadly they did not. They continued to use the exact same songs from start to end. It got really annoying, and this was a major drawback for me in this anime.

Characters:     6/10

The characters in this anime were okay, but not the greatest. The main characters were developed and had a real feeling to them. But this is just the main 3 characters. Every other character seems shallow or unimportant. Some of the characters don't even have names or faces. They are just generic friends that just stand in to help you get a better feel how the other characters hang out with their other friends outside of the normal situations. I would have at least wished some of these side characters at least had a name and a little bit of a personality just so they didn't seem a faceless part of the crowd.

Overall:     5/10

Overall this is a decent story, but not a great one. It has some unique characteristics, and does a well job letting us know the main characters. It does a less than adequate job with side characters, and the music is lacking. I also feel they try and add too much drama which in my opinion seemed to ruin even the best parts. I am not saying it is bad, I am just saying this anime didn't suit my tastes. This anime could have been half the length and it would have been fine with me. If you like intense amounts of drama, and you don't really care about having to worry about side characters, this may be a great anime for you, but for me, it left a lot to be desired.