willtaylor's avatar

willtaylor

• Petersburg, Va
  • Joined Apr 15, 2010

I watched this series on Youtube before buying the DVD Set. I try to do that to avoid purchasing a bad Anime set. I liked this story because it was not drawn out too long, and the story unfolds in an unusual style. You don't learn how they got their powers till the second episode, and it honestly works for me that way. They plunge you right into the action, and then take you along for the ride. The characters themselves are what interested me the most, because they all seem to unfold themselves as the story progresses. They're not always fearless and perfect, and they don't always save the person that needs saving --but they try. My only complaint is that there were other characters that needed more fleshing out and the ending to the show leaves it open for a future return to tell another tale. I honestly wish they would do an OVA or something to give us that conclusion but I'm not holding my breath for one.

The kids kind of reminded me of the cast of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series in that they find themselves in this world of mysticism and horror, and they do their best to deal with it. They try to protect each other and grow through the series. There are some heart wrenching moments and I think I liked that best of all. A lot of people pick a particular character and start harping on that one because they didn't like them or what not. I can't really do that because I realize that we are all flawed. I grew up knowing a little miss perfect just like a lot of us did, but as the series progresses, you get to see a little more of the person behind the facade and that is a rare treat.

Even the villain of this season was engaging. Kozunu Tendo was flawed and perfect at the same time. You can see his evil ways, but by the end you get to feel just a little bit of his anguish and you feel for him. My only complaint really is that the season was too short.

If It makes any difference to anyone, I watched the series first, then I bought the DVD.

NoCheerios says...

Thanks to this review, I'm probably gonna watch this. I'll let ya know how I like it :)

Dec 11, 2010