willingotaku's avatar

willingotaku

• Joined May 11, 2010

Asobi ni Iku yo!

May 29, 2012

I don't write reviews very often, but when I do it is a policy of mine to write only for the series I love. I feel that if it wasn't worth watching, then it's not worth spending even more time writing about. I thoroughly enjoyed Cat Planet Cuties. Even my brother, who spends most of his time watching the action packed bad ass anime with tons of fighting said this was one of the best anime he had ever seen. So I think it's safe to say Cat Planet Cuties deserves some love. So without further ado, let's break this series down.

I'm pretty sure I don't have to tell you I didn't buy a series called Cat Planet Cuties for the story. However, to my surprise it actually offered a few decent plot points. In the beginning, a cat girl named Eris comes to Earth on a mission to start up galactic relations with Earth. She meets Kio, the lone male character around which sereis like this typically revolve. Eris decides to stay at his house for a while, and so Kio's house becomes the Embassy for her people. Manami and Aoi, two human girls who know Kio, become involved in the story and offer their special skills as well. The first few episodes are mostly just fan-service and wild antics with minor plot points thrown in to tie it together. A few secret organizations pop up to cause problems for the Catian race and cause some chaos. Near the end of the series however, the evil dog aliens known as Dogisians start to mobilize and there were a few times I even wondered if the series might involve the death of a few characters. The action is limited, but it's a nice way to break up the constant fan service of the curvacious kitties and the sexy secret ops Earth girls. If you're looking for a series with lots of heavy action and fighting, or a storyline that is deep and involving that you can immerse yourself in, you won't find it here. In fact, if that's what you're looking for, I'm pretty sre you're not even reading this review. On the other hand, if you're looking for a fun and light-hearted series with lots of fan service and a little intergalactic warfare and secret organizations with guns here and there to break up the sexiness, Cat Planet Cuties is at least worth checking out an episode or two.

There are some anime I watch while I'm reading a book or something. Those series that are easy to watch and understand without actually looking at the screen. Usually I do this with series like Bleach. Cat Planet Cuties is not one of those series. Despite the lack of a dedicated story that you can follow, there is always something on screen to catch your eye. The girls are cute, the antics are fun, and the fan service is presented without too much bouncing and jiggling to make it seem like they're trying too hard. Sure the series is essentially eye candy, but they could have gone a lot farther and more outrageous with the cat girl fetish, considering how many otaku would probably go for it. The series provides plenty of cute 2D girls to look at, but they're not shoved in your face.

Anime like Cat Planet Cuties usually depend on the characters and the visuals to keep it interesting. But the sound was pretty good. The opening and ending songs were pretty catchy. Not fantastic, but still pretty good, and I'll probably download them if I can find them somewhere. The voice work was well done, and there's some good explosions and gunfire to keep you watching when you begin to tire of the voluptuously sexy heroines losing their clothes every time an anti-matter bullet is fired.

This is probably the most important element of any anime, especially a good ecchi series. If you don't care about the characters, chances are good you're not going to keep watching. There are plenty of characters to love in CPC. Some cat girls, some humans, some well-endowed, some a little bit flatter than others, some with guns, some wihtout. Some are shy and quiet, some are loud and violent, others are mart, or sweet, etc. Whatever your preference, I'm sure you'll find a character to your liking. The ladies of Cat Planet Cuties are as entertaining to watch with their clothes on as they are in full fan servive mode. We have CIA agents, secret ops girls, alien cat girls, and more. Of course the girls aren't the only characters in the shiow. Kio is important too. He even sees his share of combat and rescue missions. He is by no means the typical "hopeless loser" of these kinds of anime. The assistroids are absolutely adorable and cool, and I wish I had one for myself. Even the background characters are pretty entertaining when they get some screentime. I kinda wish Yuuichi had shown up more.

Overall

Having read a few of the other reviews on this anime, the consensus seems to be that this anime offers nothing new in an age of ecchi anime. That the story is basically non-existant and the characters are predictable. I suppose that's one way of looking at it. It's true to a certain extent. But you could say the same thing about almost anything. Isn't every Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. game basically the same thing? Yet we keep supporting those after 20-something years. If you're reading a review about an anime called Cat Planet Cuties, you probably already know what to expect. Cat Planet Cuties probably won't blow you away or show you anyhting new you can't find in another similar anime. Even so, it's a title that offers a clear idea of what it presents to you and doesn't pretend to be anyhting else. You can't watch a series called Cat Planet Cuties expecting a deep and motivated storyline. Especially when it's only 12 episodes long with a bonus 30 minute OVA thrown in. You want action? This series isn't marketed towards you then, and it needs to be judged on what it tries to accomplish. CPC is good for a few laughs and some good ol' fashioned eye candy. It's a series you can pick up and watch anytime without having to remember what happened in the last episode. I enoy this series, and others like it. I hope you'll give it a chance and enjoy it as much as I did.

8.5/10 story