wargol's avatar

wargol

• Joined Apr 2, 2012

Robotics;Notes

Oct 8, 2013

I think it's high time someone put's up a good review of this show. the ones that are up now are in my opinion just dead wrong. in some points they seem to have forgotten that this is anime and not real-life, so don't go overthinking why the bad guys have an army when they're trying to destroy the universe...they just have their army, live with it.

I think the story is very nicely done, sure there are things that wouldn't make sense in real life (like the bad guy talking way too much instead of just killing the good guys) but besides those obvious movie/anime scenes happening this show has some very good twists and plots. I very much liked the thriller/horror sense I sometimes got, they really set the mood for certain episodes. in other episodes they focused mostly on humour and slice of life events and yet in other about mini-robot matches make it seem like high-speed action, all sides of this anime were a lot of fun to watch and really pulled me in. it's been a few months since I've seen it so the whole 'clues business' isn't really fresh in my memory anymore accept that gathering them felt like a 'quest' in modern times setting which I think was original and fun to watch. gathering those clues also told us (and the main character) bit by bit what had happened, what the real story is.

let's not forget the giant robot though....ofcourse in real life it really wouldn't have moved but this is anime guys! don't complain about petty stuff like that (steins:gate was about time travlel and dimension transfers so a giant robot shouldn't be that hard to get over). it was fun to see them built it and at the end the whole city coming together to built it might have been a childish concept but I like it when everyone helps out to make sure the good guys win.

the animation and sound were very good in my opinion, really nothing to complain about there. in my opinion animations like these are how they should make all anime.

the characters were all very different and fun, they made sure to give everyone a real unique character with their own quirks, humour and background. it was fun to watch them all and learn about them.

all in all I really recommend watching it....don't mind those negative reviews just watch it yourself and decide what you think of it. (and if you have read them just think of one piece for example, there are so many dumb and childish things about that show but it's still awesome and everyone still watches it anyway ;)

8.2/10 overall

wargol says...

wow there is a lot of info in your comment brokensaint, I didn't know all that stuff about it coming from a light novel and all. I only watch anime but don't really read light novels and no manga for me :p

you wrote 'neither are related to how precisely it mimics the real world, because it doesn't, it is a pseudo sci-fi series for crying out loud!'. I think you got my intention wrong in my review, I completely agree with you there. there were some people saying bad things about it and I wanted to remind people that it's anime, it's basically makebelief, so they shouldn't worry about how it relates to the real world.

all in all I liked your comment :) there's good info in there and you explain the reasoning behind your opinion very well (after reading it twice I kinda see your point about some things, I still like the show  though :P), so thanks for commenting :)

Dec 5, 2014
brokensaint058 says...

I have to disagree with you. R;N has two major problems, neither are related to how precisely it mimics the real world, because it doesn't, it is a pseudo sci-fi series for crying out loud! The first problem is that it is based on a visual novel, therefore crippling itself to squish everything into a coherent series.  The significant other problem is the story making no sense within the boundaries established by itself. Let's elaborate, shall we?

You don't need to be a robot engineer to see that R;N (the visual novel) was made as a bridge for future sequels (Chaos;Child among other). Unless you are familiar with the lore of the world it takes place in, you will be left in the dark about a lot of stuff that the anime throws at you, like the significance behind the Commitee of 300 and their influence behind the scenes of the story, among other things. The thing is that the source material was not very good and the anime suffers for that significantly. Because writers crammed everything from the true route into the story (including every character's story arc resolution), it felt to me like a chopped up visual novel synopsis. The nonexistent transitions between said story arcs did not improve much either.

The actual story is pretty bad too. The robot building theme (which is the main point of the series) gets dropped halfway for the conspiracy plot and picks up abruptly in the very end. A lot of stuff is introduced and nearly nothing is explained or concluded properly. Most of the story elements were conveniently placed for the sake of shocking twists a la Deus Ex Machina style. The club is struggling to find a fuel source? It’s raining unannounced energy sources which are never mentioned again. Sister Centipede is based on a real missing person? How nice that she is still alive and kept cryogenically frozen for years in the same building without any electricity for years. Oh yeah, we need a villain too, how about that one random dude from the older sister’s original robot class? Let’s make him an AI and link him to the overarching evil syndicate and call it a day! These and many other issues are ultimately brushed under the rug with a quick resolution the anime offers, hoping you will forget about them for the sake of more unexpected twists in the future series.

I do not dislike the anime entirely, there are some good moments between the cast and they day to day interactions. The report hunts, which are fun and unique, were a pleasure to watch too. Visually the anime doesn’t resemble the original artwork closely which is a shame, but it is not a complete eyesore either.

Ultimately Robotics;Notes tries too hard at being original, it combines slice of life, science fiction and conspiracy theories and underachieves in every category. The show’s premise is based on one question: what would happen if you could build a giant robot in real life? Well, they answer it quite accurately: the robot would be clunky and slow as all hell, just like this show.

Dec 5, 2014