vivafruit's avatar

vivafruit

• Boulder, CO
  • Joined Jan 1, 2007

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is one of the most highly rated shows by people who have seen it. As a result I had high expectations when I started the show, but ultimately dropped it about 70 episodes in. There are just too many problems with the narrative.

Take, for example, the lame action. I'm sorry, but the space battles are just not interesting. There are countless logical inconsistencies (we've been cornered... IN SPACE), it's poorly animated, and the scenes tend to drag on for eons. I appreciate the effort to take WW1 tactics and implement them into space-combat, but it just doesn't do much for me when there are so many other glaring faults. Don't even get me started on the axe combat, which is some of the most aggravating bullshit I've ever voluntarily sat through.

There are similar problems with the rest of the overarching plot. This narrative needs to be extremely intelligent to work, and while it has its moments (I particularly enjoy the fact that much of the series can be viewed as allegorical to famous political events in world history), there are also parts that are either ridiculous or flat-out illogical. A particular problem is that the opponents that Yang and Lohengram "outwit" tend to have the mental capacity of a 5-year-old. I found it immensely frustrating to watch nearly every opponent repeatedly commit absolutely asinine acts that no experienced commander would ever even consider. Moreover, the "brilliant tactics" that Yang and Lohengram use tend to be basic stuff like "pretend to run away" or "hire competent advisers."

I may finish this series someday (although I hear that it gets even weaker near the end, which is hardly encouraging), but the fact remains that this is very much a niche title for those that can enjoy a pompous, intellectual story that isn't actually that intelligent. Like Rose of Versailles, another ancient but highly liked series with some serious narrative issues, LOGH feels like epic for epic's sake.

SadisticTendencies says...

To be perfectly fair, I've only seen 31 episodes so far but I fail to see how some logical inconsistencies can ruin a show of 110 episodes. Sure, the axefights don't make no sense whatsoever but in the larger picture, surely that's more or less irrelevant nitpicking?

When it comes to the spacebattles and "brilliant tactics", however, I see what you mean since they're a pretty large portion of the story. I may come to reach the same opinion as this review once I finish the show but I can't really see how logical inconsistencies add up to "too many problems with the narrative".

Dec 19, 2012
Iro says...

"This series requires the reader to have a baseline understanding of tactics, human psychology, and politics."

I think its rather the opposite, if you have any understanding of those things, you would imediately grasp how stupid and illogical the writers on this show made it play out. This show is like what would happen if the creators of CSI decided to make an anime and lacked any sort of talent for presentation or style in addition to the lack of logic as they do now.

Jan 17, 2012
Ymarsakar says...

It's not for the average civilian that has no idea what happened even in their own country's history.

Sep 21, 2011
Lithiumpowered says...

while i really enjoyed this show i can see why you (and others) dont like it, it really is a niche show that political science junkies will probably like if they can get over the inconsistencies that you mentioned. Long story short: it'll either click with you or turn you off completely within the first few episodes.

Feb 23, 2010
Wolf570 says...

Ha, I drooped it somewhere around ep. 60. As I love space opera LOGH just bored me to death. Some other stuff I can point out:

- Too-slow paced battles

- The size of the fleet has absolutely no meaning what so ever

- Yangs character at times is baffling to me - "We lost, I can finally go live a normal life that I wanted, but before that let's send 80 or so ships that will start guerrilla warfare agains the Reich"

Your statement "LOGH feels like epic for epic's sake" sums up the anime pretty good. Ok, now that I stated LOGH is pretty boring it's time to address an even more serious matter, the comment made by Rince which is so stupid and illogical on so many levels that it just baffles the mind. Let's break it into parts, shall we:

- "The animation is unique" - I repeat this a lot of those days, mainly "nobody gives a shit about the visuals", no anime/manga will hold out by eye-candy alone (unless the viewer is braindead). What really decides about ones work is the STORY, without it no intellectual work will reach the level of "decent". This is a fact. Animation, music... those add to the work but can't stand by there own, while the story can, because it's the fucking CORE.

- "axe fighting at least bring in something new, and firing guns in a confined space with vacuum behind isn't exactly smart" - somehow Rince managed to creat a sentence with two leaps of logic one after another.

*First - he's somehow implying that using an axe in an "confined space with vacuum behind" is somehow safer then using a gun (be it chemical or energetic propellants). Since when did humans ever cared about safety when trying to kill each other? A example that is "on time" - highjackers try to jack a plane in midair, will the highjackers and the flight-security use knifes? Fuck no, they will whip out the best weapons (9mm and SMGs) they can and when the wild west starts nobody will care about the holes in the hull. In war it comes down to who will kill who faster.

*Second - again "confined space with vacuum behind", do people seriously think that battleships/spaceships/space-stations are build from plywood or something, don't you think that something build for combat with other ships a.i. armoured hull will "bend over" for some infantry weapons. Isn't this the future? You know, durable alloys and stuff like that, besides, what are the space-suits made from if a normal axe can penetrate it?

- and the hightlight of the show "and about illogic, dude, its sci-fi not csi" - dude, from all the stupid, incoherent and just plain wrong statements that I have read on the net (and I read a lot of them) this one probably takes the cake. Do you even know what sci-fi stands for? No, it's not "illogical shit that doesn't make sense and can be pulled out of your ass" and even slightly indicating that CSI is logical counts as one of the worst offences to human intelligence... ever.

Maybe I'm overdoing this as always but it had to be addresses.

Jan 24, 2010