tyr

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

15 DEC
2010

Not at all what I was expecting.

The synopsis for this anime which was presented to me went as follows- Haruhi Suzumiya, a normal school girl, is upset with the monotony of everyday life, she dreams of a world filled with aliens, time travellers and people with psychic powers. The dullness of standard school life is a grave disappointment.

Now. Upon hearing this I was intrigued. Would we have here an actual anime on the shittyness of being a school student? I could certainly relate. When I was a teenager I certainly dreamed of my life being spiced up with something befitting of the TV shows, video games and anime I enjoyed. Maybe I could find a special amulet which would give me secret powers to fight against dragons invading our world from beyond?

As it turns out…Haruhi Suzumiya isn’t about this at all. The first episode, the prologue if you will (actually set long after many of the episodes that follow it…) certainly seems to indicate the plot will be as expected- only that she’ll gather together like minded bored folk and do something about the boredom of reality. Things seem pretty stable for a while, with a nice straight forward chronological plot about the founding of a club to try and find something freaky in the world. But then, 4 episodes in…we skip ahead a few episodes and it becomes apparent that this is a fantasy anime afterall.

Oh.

Yet…

It is interesting nonetheless….

It seems very different to the countless other super powered high school student animes out there. As I’ve already mentioned its episodes are a in a messed up order- a order which should really be kept as annoying as it is at times, it works out for the best. The ‘next episode’ bit of the episodes is worth watching too on Haruhi. Its normally something I skip as a rule, spoilers suck, but upon being told to watch them here…some interesting bits of meta-plot.

Haruhi is a…very strange anime indeed. Its strangeness kind of ruins it in a way. I liked it best when certain characters didn’t have certain depths. But nonetheless it’s a good programme. Very interesting in a unexpected way.

Other Anime Reviews by tyr

Bleach user review by tyr

Bleach

Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya user review by tyr

Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya

Highschool of the Dead OVA user review by tyr

Highschool of the Dead OVA

comments

Yanagi13 avatar Yanagi13
Dec 16, 2010

Interesting review. I agree with you on most points. I couldn't really get into this anime the first time I watched it either. It grew on be though.