default avatar

• Joined Aug 27, 2010
  • 34 / ?

DearS

Aug 27, 2010

Wow, I'm really not getting where all the hate for Dears is coming from.

I didn't want to watch this at first. The title sounds awful and a bit...'gay' (in the way the kids mean it these days), the main advertising art puts me in mind of the sort of thing from the cover of my chobits manga- doesn't reflect whats inside but gives other people a very messed up impression of what you're reading. For some reason though I gave it a go and I was very pleasently surprised.

This is a very good anime.

One thing which really makes this stand out for me is the relationships are somehow more believable than in so many other animes grouped into the same category as this. Sure, you've the hot alien girl who inexplicably fancies the normal guy, well, the supposidly normal guy who doesn't jump at her advances. But thats standard anime fair.

But otherwise...the other main characters....well they just feel pretty natural the way they come together and the relationships build. Not just sudden *bam* now I want your affection! Its far more slow building and they don't outright say it.

This anime is basically a comedic version of chobits. The lovey dovey crap is thrown out and the humour aspect is amplified- yey! They also tone down the deep aspects too but...well that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just look at Monty Python. Lots of clever humour which only educated people will get but then they slap each other around with a fish. Sometimes something shallow and fun is good.

Oh, and the sound is brilliant. One of the best dubs I've ever came across.

I'm very sad indeed there isn't a second series. The manga just isn't the same.

dan78 says...

agreed, this anime did what it was aiming for. romcom ecchi with socialy awkward aliens and a hater that slowly came around.

most low score reviews can be attributed to idiots that simply dont understand that some anime genres arent aimed at their particular tastes.

Oct 9, 2013
Peyton says...

i agree  with your review more than anyother I also enjoyed the way this anime was done and how characters were introduced. also great monty python refrence i love those guys.

Nov 23, 2011