truthillusion's avatar

• AZ
  • Joined Oct 9, 2009

Kite Liberator

Apr 5, 2010

-THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS OF THE STORY UNDER THE HEADING OF IV) The Plot/Story (WHICH INCLUDES THE SAWA THEORY). EVERYTHING ELSE IS SPOILER FREE-

Kite Liberator is, somewhat, a sequel to the original movie named Kite, in which an orphan named Sawa became an assassin nicknamed "The Angel of Death" and lived with a man whom used her for his own sexual desires. Kite Liberator is set in the same town several years in the future. I had enjoyed Kite when I first watched it, and because of I was really excited to watch this OVA (more like a movie to me).

I) The Animation:

The animation presented in Kite Liberator is truly top notch quality. The color gradients seem to have a darkish tone that seems to flow with the depressing, violent, lewd, and compassionate nature of the story told. All the animation is really good to look at and never once shows itself to be an eyesore. The detail that the creators put into the art is very well done from the biggest pieces of the view all the way down to the most minuscule of details. The creative team (or individual, since I'm not sure on who gets credited with what) spent a lot of time to create an excellent piece of animation.

II) The Sound:

The sound in this OVA is perfect in all aspects. All the voices fit the characters perfectly without issue, all music is fitting to the moment which it appears and sounds good to the ear, and the dialogue seems perfect to the characters. Not much I can actually say since I have nothing to complain about in this section.

III) Characters:

This anime has very few notable characters, but each character seems to has some form of realism to them; in the sense that it feels like you could possible know these people in the real world, and weren't just some conception of the creators. There is a very HUGE lack of the typical anime clichés. Each character has their own personality and mindset which sets them apart from everyone else, and helps them excel at being superb in originality.

IV) The Plot/Story:

In the beginning of this review, I mentioned that Kite Liberator was "somewhat" of a sequel to the original Kite. This is because none of the original characters are in this anime (with the exception of my Sawa theory, which I'll get to later) and the plot of this anime differs a lot from it's successor.

Kite Liberator starts off in the middle of space at the ISS (International Space Station) and you see the crew bickering at each other and watch them go on their typical journeys in measuring their bodies for radiation and such. Azuki Noguchi, one of the astronauts of the ISS, complains to his friend Kōichi Doi, the chef of the ISS, about not being able to see his daughter on her birthday and how he feels bad about leaving her alone after her mother had passed away, and then entrusts Doi to send his daughter a birthday present for him. Back on Earth, you find that his daughter, Monaka Noguchi, is revealed to have become the new "Angel of Death" since the original went missing a few years beforehand along side her boss. Monaka uses the weaponry of the "Angel of Death" to assassinate pedophiles and other terrible people of the like. Eventually, her father is mutated due to a combination of Doi's experimental food and the Sun's radiation. He finds his way to Earth looking for his daughter, despite having been mutated into a monster. Monaka is then assigned with the task of killing the monster from space (unaware that this monster is, infact, her father).

The Sawa Theory: Monaka works as a waitress. She works a long side an older woman who goes by the name of Manatsu Mukai. Mukai's creation looks identical to the girl named Sawa in the original Kite. In this movie, Mukai can not stand anything related to sexual harassment and has amazing aim and fighting techniques. I believe that Mukai is an aged version of the original "Angel of Death" and is the only repeating character in the Kite movies.

V) Overall:

In conclusion, I believe that Kite Liberator is an amazing anime in it's own right, but sadly is to short to conclude better than anything else out there. I feel that the team may want to look into making longer movies, or a series would be even better. Despite the lack of length, Kite Liberator is great.

9.3/10 overall

Zeroclaymore says...

I was actually thinking the same thing with the Sawa Theory. I think thats where they were steering us towards with the scenes with Mukai.

Mar 27, 2012
Melourn says...

I want you to take a look at this other guys review- it's from the perspective that Kite Liberator doesn't have a predecessor...(see my comment there as well, I didn't say anything there- but I don't agree with his rating...but I don't completely agree with yours either...if I had to choose- maybe a 7 or 8)...

Ps ~ I LOVE THE SAWA THEORY. That explains a LOT (about Mukai).

Jul 31, 2011